Trees and GeoConvert

• I saw some GeoConvert TMC files featuring the code lines to have vegetation and elevation mesh compiled too, but no hint of the data format to feed in. I assume this will come later, hopefully with building autogen too...

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Yeh adding 3D trees on top of GeoConvert would be great. It would be greater if the the process could be automated by using OpenStreetMap data, as I have been crying for all the time. :)

Not completely unrelated and for the reference, I just found FSX can also use OpenStreetMap data to add 3d objects on top of photoreal scenery, with such 3rd party tools as scenProc: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php…a_with_scenProc

• (...) I just found FSX can also use OpenStreetMap data to add 3d objects on top of photoreal scenery, with such 3rd party tools as scenProc (...)

This has been the case for a long time now. It isn't perfect, but it provides an easy and relative fast-produced free basic autogen coverage for photosceneries, very efficient. Using free access databases like OSM for buildings and CORINE for vegetation you can get a very descent coverage for large sceneries (countrywide) => most central European countries have been covered that way as a first row : Italy, Germany, Switzerland, France, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, etc.

It doesn't totally save manual work, there are always some areas that will need manual tuning - removing some ugly buildings here, a few trees there, etc. => a program like Annotator is necessary too.

The professional way of scenery making is rather to purchase official data (aerial photo, vegetation, cadastral, etc.) and use procedural 3D for scenery making. Thousands of hours have been invested by some editors in developing routine and methods for FSX/P3D with outstanding results. The main limitation so far has been FSX/P3D's old 32 bits architecture, forcing to drastic compromises.

However P3Dv4 created a huge surprise last June, providing not only the long awaited 64 bits architecture to get rid of the 32bit 4GB RAM access limitation, but simultaneously a dramatic boost in performances, even bigger when recompiling sceneries with the latest SDK.

Back to AFS2, it would already be a huge leap forward for scenery making if we could compile both vegetation and building autogen from databases like OSM and CORINE. Looking at the structure, vegetation is already a separate layer, which is great (i.e. they're in a separate folder and if you replace a part of Swiss ground photo with Geoconvert, you'll keep the trees in your scenery).

The same should be done for buildings autogen.

Additionally, a program like Annotator would be great to manually clean-up where needed.

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Hi,

can someone provide a sample dataset of buildings or trees or streetlamps as point features?

I can accept ESRI shape files or any schedular data (Excel, CSV, TXT).

I cannot accept binary OSM data.

Preferably in an area not covered by aerofly DLC sceneries.

Thanks!

Rodeo