OSM data and IPACS generic import

• Hi there,

fiinally I found some OSM sources and could extract some streetlamps of Aspen, Colorado.

It takes some manual formatting of the XML file, but I'm sure, this can be automated.
    Feeding about 470 lamps into IPACS generic tool I had instant success.

Of course this will be made public as soon as the workflow has been established.

The major problem (at least for me) is to find useful OSM data.
    So I ask again: Can someone provide OSM data in either ESRI shape format or any other text format?

Regards

Rodeo

• Phew,

identification of qualified OSM data drives me crazy.
    Is there an OSM wizard amongst us?

For the example below I used the feature 'traffic_signals', so they are not really streetlamps.

Btw, 2278 points!

Rodeo

• tonywob would be your guy for this. Must say though Rodeo that's looking good so far.

I would agree. He's a programmer, and has been doing this osm and scenery stuff for years for X-plane, plus he has also already expressed his interest in doing it for Aerofly as well, so......

For myself, I just hope we will be able to make the lights less "fuzzy: and even change the colors. Despite the fact that they have become the norm, i loath sodium lights! :P

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

Edited 2 times, last by HiFlyer (August 26, 2017 at 4:29 AM).

• Gooseno1,

fantastic! This is the kind of data, I'm looking for. To get this into aerofly takes only some minutes.

If you agree, I will use this data set for the tutorial.

Btw, we can modify the intensity, color and several other parameters.

Rodeo

• if you agree, I will use this data set for the tutorial.

Rodeo,

The data was from this website: Melbourne data

You can use the data as per their website:

Our open data is provided under a creative commons licence. This means you are free to share and adapt our data for any purpose, provided you give the appropriate credit.

Handy cultivation tools

Windows 10 64bit | iCore7-7770K| ASUS STRIX Z270E |KHX2400C15D4 - 32GB | Gigabyte Ge-Force GTX 1080Ti| SSD Intel 520 Series | 40" Philips BDM4065UC/75 4K - Oculus Rift

Edited 2 times, last by Kloot (August 26, 2017 at 10:27 AM).

• If one could generate points at set intervals along roadways of given types (Residential, secondary, artery, freeway) could those points be used as approximate street lamps?

Tiger line transport data is very complete for each US state. Generating points along the lines would be a matter of writing a script.

• Hi Sycosys,

Yes, definitely. If those points can even be classified (highway, residential area...) we can use different light settings.

Currently we can feed lights, trees and buildings, each feature with a different set of parameters.

Rodeo

• Let me look into this a bit.. in a past job I created parallel reference points along pipelines. Creating points adjacent to roads with known classifications should be very similar.

Will mull it over and give it a test on some Colorado Roads if i get a minute to sit down this weekend

• Rodeo, in what format can we feed buildings and trees ?

We have shp files with vegetation zones polygons and building polygons, plus many more features...

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Let me look into this a bit.. in a past job I created parallel reference points along pipelines. Creating points adjacent to roads with known classifications should be very similar....

You are right, using road lines with classification we should be able to create reference points. But in this case the positions are 'artifical', we have to accept this. It is not really a big problem.

Rodeo, in what format can we feed buildings and trees ?

We have shp files with vegetation zones polygons and building polygons, plus many more features...

Antoine, currently I cannot feed polygons into aerofly cultivation.

But having building polygons I can try to create appropriate point features with a GIS system.

We can import the center point, the length and width, the orientation angle, roof shape, level count, usage classification.

If you can provide shape files I'll be happy to try this.

Rodeo

• Antoine, currently I cannot feed polygons into aerofly cultivation.

But having building polygons I can try to create appropriate point features with a GIS system.

We can import the center point, the length and width, the orientation angle, roof shape, level count, usage classification.

If you can provide shape files I'll be happy to try this.

Rodeo

Ok, I'll look to prepare some data.

Thanks

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• More than 16000 lights in Melbourne, not classified into different road types.
    And to treat Hiflyer with care I changed the color to nearly white.

Rodeo

+100 :)

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• So far the pictures look great.

Ipacs might end up creating a situation similar to X-plane where people prefer to fly at night! (at least until more autogen arrives)

Devons rig

• I would just add (maybe it's just me) that I find the night lighting excessively "fuzzy", and that is exacerbated in VR. I was trying to line up on Innsbruck recently, and from any sort of distance the centerline runway was lost in a blurred haze of light that was kind of discouraging.

For me, that means a semi moratorium on night landings at this otherwise beautiful scenery. :D

Devons rig

• I would just add (maybe it's just me) that I find the night lighting excessively "fuzzy", and that is exacerbated in VR. I was trying to line up on Innsbruck recently, and from any sort of distance the centerline runway was lost in a blurred haze of light that was kind of discouraging.

For me, that means a semi moratorium on night landings at this otherwise beautiful scenery. :D

Well, the lights keep on during daytime in LOWI, that's not so nice. They don't bring much IMO, these are just light dots standing there...

Ipacs might end up creating a situation similar to X-plane where people prefer to fly at night! (at least until more autogen arrives)

Er... night is the only situation in which XPlane wins the competition against any other sim so far. You can really experince the feel of night VFR in XPlane, with everything getting totally black, not just greyish, and lights look so real.

Flying above the default Seattle scenery at night feels so real in XPlane (I've only flown XP10 so far), highways becoming a winding snake of white headlights in the one direction and red rear lights in the other direction. Otherwise you see street lamps and, to some extent, a few alighted houses. Everything that isn't alight is pitch black, just like in reality.

In that sense, AeroflyFS2 never gets dark, just slightly dimmed like FSX.

AeroflyFS2 is very good for noon flights. The lack of shadows casted by ground makes other daytimes much less enjoyable IMO

Cheers

Antoine