• So what would be great for us, and probably in general as well is if we could "share a ride".

One would need two rigs and two VR sets, but since FS2 can export its position through a port (at least so I understand from the menu), then all it would take is the possibility to receive such data.

Then one could put two rigs on the same local network, one is the one with the pilot, a "master" and broadcasts the position, the other is "slave" and is used only for viewing as a ride.

Then it becomes easy to be the WSO in the F15 (for example) and enjoy the ride. Of course the terrain in the second rig would condition what is viewed, but that's easy to fix.

Next could be collaborative or adversarial gameplay, but that's another challenge altogether.

So I put it out there, if it happens, great, if not great anyway.

Michael

• I would go even further and share the flight deck. Then the second (or third) person could interact with the cockpit, modify the state of the aircraft, etc. There are loads of possibilities, from sharing the load to flight schools, life stream events where you are one of the passengers and can look around in VR...

Regards,

Jan

• Hey IPACS guys. When this crops up I always think what the VR experience would be for the other person. My guess is that it would induce nausea. That's why I suspect you disabled VR replay. Whats your experience been?

• These kinds of features are all done with multiplayer, using Internet connections. We need multiplayer

Indeed, but multiplayer is way more complicated, because two different worlds need to be integrated and usually through a wider network (so solving latency, connection, etc.. issues, not easy)

The software already broadcasts the info, so It probably is not much of a stretch to be able to input it also, and being two machines next to each other, latency, network security, etc.. is not much of an issue. Maybe I'm thinking wrong but that's what I imagine.

It would be a pathway to multiplayer but not so much difficulty or requirements.

Two VR sets on one machine is conceivable in theory, but in practice too much power is needed, and as far as I know it doesn't exist yet (or the price becomes similar to two machines. two machines is probably much easier)

Nausea and motion sickness should not be the issue. It is people dependent, some people will get sick driving of being driven, some won't. When you get sick then VR flight sim is not for you.

And yes I like sharing the flight deck idea :thumbup:but that also requires some more work and thinking. That would be top notch we could do real pilot and WSO, not that there is any weapon to work, but still, like comm or something. And it could be used for training indeed. But now it becomes bidirectional communication and an instant priority protocol of some sort: absolute for full interaction, either control can do and the other follow, time is the priority, or controlled, when one decides (switch or other) that one has control over the other or vice versa.

VR "passenger" was the main idea for now as I believe it's not much work to get there from here (I could be wrong in which case, never mind) and a big step in experience.

• I just see the potential for such an exciting VR experience being able to either fly in formation and go exploring or have a passenger who can independently look around. And voice chat via team speak. FS 2 is so isolating but beautiful in VR which is why I frequently run the ATC comms from SNA just in the background. The update rate is so high in FS2 that prediction should be very good. Then we could join VATSIM maybe or just have some of us become ATC instead of trying to code it all. What a way to have a great worldwide group experience - VR or not. I see the bidirectional exchange of aircraft state by one of the non-main CPU cores being very feasible which has been done by many games and could be farmed out. Please!