Pimax 8K & 5K VR Headsets Coming to Kickstarter Later This Month

• So, is it hot air? Can they pull it off? Could it become a simming must-have? The headset is certainly not a looker: in fact, to me it's actively ugly, but I suppose it's what's inside that counts.......

This might be interesting; and could certainly light a fire under of some of the competition..... https://www.roadtovr.com/pimax-8k-vr-he…er-later-month/

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• This sort of headset is inevitable as long as there is a demand for it. There's the rub though. My impression is that VR is only going to survive if Google, Valve, and other manufacturers are willing to absorb losses for the foreseeable future.

• My biggest thing is that I can't find anywhere that mentions the expected pricing on these things, and even the kickstarter page has no tiers listed, everything is $1 ?(

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I don't think pricing will be unreasonable based on their 4k. The bigger issue is whether there is any quality behind the headline specifications. The 4k wasn't really 4k, didn't have full tracking and the refresh was too slow. Also the seamless blending of images from 2 screens must be difficult to pull off well. Then there's screen brightness. If they've really cracked all these problems i'll be at the front of the queue, but i'm very cautious.

• Should I even ask what a scent module is.........?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Devons rig

• Its live on kickstarter. $449 for the 8k res. I'd really like to get some clarification of their functionality as this is tempting.

• How good is the dual angled display thing - does it feel natural?
    • What's this 75/90 refresh. Which is it?
    • Would FS2 support it?
    • Exactly what is the resolution increase v. Oculus? Its a bit confusing
    • Does it really have full motion tracking using steam lighthouse?
    • Is the display bright enough or a bit dull like i think some earlier pimax was?

https://www.roadtovr.com/pimax-8k-vr-he…er-later-month/

Update: if you go to the kickstarter page you can see that there's an 8k and an 8k x, the latter supporting 90hz and requiring at least a 1080ti. Also it clarifies the actual pixel count v vive/oculus. If you need full lighthouse tracking the total price is quite a bit more than $449. As for the effectiveness of dual angled display and the lcd screen brightness, who knows.

• Sorry, too late for the $449 - sold out. I'm very interested too - but I need to see some serious reviews while running FS 2 at least at 75 HZ. I would need a new CPU and a new GPU anyway - i7 7900X@5Ghz (6 or more cores) and a 1180ti running at 3940x2160!

Time to dream

Dave W.

• Sorry, too late for the $449 - sold out. I'm very interested too - but I need to see some serious reviews while running FS 2 at least at 75 HZ. I would need a new CPU and a new GPU anyway - i7 7900X@5Ghz (6 or more cores) and a 1180ti running at 3940x2160!

Time to dream

Dave W.

This might help: https://www.roadtovr.com/hands-pimaxs-8…-fov-vr-coming/

Devons rig

• Some hands on experience here, including some discussion about whether games need to be recoded to provide the extended field of view

http://www.tested.com/tech/784924-pr…headset-hands-/