Has Orbx changed directions? Where is the patch that adds the half million houses and trees for the Chicago area?

• Just wondering if anyone has heard any rumors about Orbx coming back to complete the Meigs Field scenery. I just checked their support forum and see that the message I left in June is still pending. I had such high hopes when they announced the that a follow up release would be coming for Meigs, but that was months ago. :(

Regards.

Ray

• Then they went dark on the subject, and have answered no queries on it since then.......

Somebody just posted over on the Orbx forums again asking about Aerofly plans, and if recent trends stay true to form, the post will be ignored.

Even I will ignore it, since Orbx has made it clear from previous ignored posts that they have nothing to say, at least at this time.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I have been flying around the Chicago area today and it is an absolute pleasure, but there is so much missing when I look left or right. I hate to spend the time and effort to run it through the GeoConverter knowing that Orbx might be putting the final touches on the patch, or not. It is the not knowing anything at all that is tough for me.

It would probably have been better had JV not made the announcement and then went totally silent.

Regards,

Ray

• It would probably have been better had JV not made the announcement and then went totally silent.

Regards,

Ray

In this case it's the "totally silent" part that's a little disconcerting; there have been a few inquiries as to the status of the Meigs update but ORBX has not uttered a peep about it. Sure hope the project has not been scrapped, a little reassurance that it is still forthcoming would be nice...

Ken

• more cooperations between Orbx and us are planned, but like always, it takes time.

It would probably be helpful for Orbx to say exactly that then, because right now, the continued silence invites speculation, and there are few things that can quickly turn more negative than Flight Simmer speculation.

I myself have wanted to ask about Chicago, because the impression was given that the arrival of the additional buildings was imminent, but I held back because I didn't want to rock any boats

Simply saying "Hey folks, there's been a delay, please bear with us." would probably be fine, but Orbx, by basically Ignoring all mention of, or questions about the subject since then, leaves people who purchased Meigs based on promises of extended scenery essentially hanging in limbo.

Not an optimal situation.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• There should be no speculation or assumptions regarding the development cycle of a flight simulator. Every single thing that is planned takes time to complete. This holds true regardless of whether one wants it yesterday or not.

One can only work so fast :)

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• There should be no speculation or assumptions regarding the development cycle of a flight simulator. Every single thing that is planned takes time to complete. This holds true regardless of whether one wants it yesterday or not.

One can only work so fast :)

I think most of us have been very patient, and I have advocated the same to others. I like to think I'm one of the most patient people out there. (waiting on Outerra several years and counting).

But taking money and not delivering is bad form no matter who we are talking about, and the simple fact is that without all the loud boasts (at the time) of extended autogen and enticing pictures saying coming soon, I simply would not have purchased Meigs in its current state.

Going all silent after the money has been exchanged just flat out sucks, and I don't think I would be alone in thinking that.

That has to be said, whatever the consequences, on behalf of myself and all the others that have pretty much remained silent about Meigs up to now, who purchased based on a promise.

Devons rig

• I like to think that I am very patient as well, and in general I am. Other than putting out the occasional feeler on the status of an upcoming release I pretty much stay silent and patiently wait for it.

Most Orbx buyers and fans are well aware of their policy that has been in place for quite some time: they do not give release dates nor usually release screenshots until a product is imminent. I don't have a problem of any kind with that; I perfectly understand and accept it.

It would be nice to have a status update on Meigs however because it has been a couple of months since the info on the update was put out. That's all anyone is asking for, nothing more. Personally I don't think that's too much to ask.

Ken

• There is one alternative to waiting hopelessly for Orbx to do it: let Tony do a World2FS2:

I am playing with OpenStreetMap, and I am thrilled at the prospect of combining it with GeoConvert scenery

It's a much easier route. Strange you are ignoring this practical suggestion but crying for something only remotely possible.

I don't quite get what you are inferring here; what's stopping him from creating such a program? Does he need permission from IPACS?

Ken

• The whole "patience" strategy is getting a little thin. Asking human beings not to ask questions or speculate is frankly a little bizarre.

This isn't a free or even a cheap add-on, just as FS 2 is neither free or inexpensive. It isn't rude or unnatural to want to know what is going on.

No one expects miracles, but it isn't asking too much to want to be informed.

• Folks, please calm down.

The reason you haven't seen any updates from Orbx is pretty much coming
    from our side. And we have a reason for it.

We are currently laying the ground work for adding generic buildings, lights and
    trees by means of simple text files and we also work on simplyfing the creation
    of new airports and many other things. We want Aerofly to be an open platform,
    we are sure you can see this already. But creating an open platform also requires
    careful thinking of how user generated content interacts with our own content.

Before we go public with all this or before we incorporate this new technology
    into 3rd party addon products, we would like to be sure that the system is somehow stable
    and future proof, so that we don't need to deliver huge updates in case we do
    update our internal systems. At this point, this is not the case, e.g. we are still
    not sure our cultivation file system is the way to go and we still have to decide
    how we handle the interaction between our content, 3rd party addon content
    and end user content.

So to summarise: We and Orbx are working on new products, but to do it right,
    we need to carefully think about how we do it and we need to resolve some
    open issues. So to repeat, please be patient and don't speculate too much.

• Thank you.

Devons rig

• I don't know IPACS, but I will tell you this. Developing such a software is difficult (otherwise a lot more folks would do it) requires tremendous expenses, time and effort, and it has a limited return as it's not a wide market audience.

The price of this software is reasonable, and while I would agree that the price of the ORBX expansions is high for just one airport, one is always free to buy or not.

I find IPACS very communicative as they are present on this forum and in general answer questions, requests and so on, that is on top of the work that has to be done. They also often have to put up with many time the same question, so they are very patient.

So while it is OK to wanting to know and ask questions and suggest left and right, and while I also understand that complaining is in fact asking to remain a customer, I think we have to empathize a bit more. If they delivered half on what they announced, they would be a "bad guy", if they over delivered, there would be people complaining that they under announce it. If they don't announce it's bad, if they over announce (like say it's coming and it takes more time than anticipated) it's bad.

So I'd say be happy with what you have, make a decision on buying on what you have and what you want, make a decision on further buying based on previous experience (although it's not always a marker of future experience), and finally be happy that iPACS is doing something, whatever that is, and that they remain in communication with us. I hear that's not the case for every company.

The key here is what YOU HAVE, not what could be. I get it, we all want more, but honestly what we have is at the top of today's technology or close enough and it's not that expensive relatively. We easily pay a few hundred dollars for a joystick and Throttle that is infinitely easier to design and make, and we don't usually expect the joystick company to evolve the product every quarter.

So look at what you have, decide if it's worth it (perfectly OK to decide it's not) and enjoy flying. One day clouds will be awesome, water will be water, the whole earth may be populated, vehicles may be moving, etc.. or it will not and we'll maybe have another software to go to instead.

YOU also have the option to develop your own perfect version of a flight sim and everyone will buy it, then more power to you.

We have something which I personally think is great. They have proven their ability to deliver great stuff. They're busy at work, so what's not to like.

They sold us a product, not a guarantee of communication and answer to every customer whim.

Michael