Extra funding for Aerofly FS2 on Kickstarter?

• Would you contribute something extra to IPACS, on a Kickstarter/similar platform? 32

1. Yes, if it speeds the development process up (15) 47%
    2. No, I have paid for an early access game and am happy to wait (7) 22%
    3. Maybe, depending on which features would be sped up (10) 31%

Just putting it out there, would an injection of funding enable the hiring of more staff/designers & developers which in turn would fast-track the development timeline?

With so much passion for AF2 on the forum, it would be great to know if both IPACS and current users would be open to looking at some sort of Kickstarter project, if it massively sped everything up?

Relative to what many of us spend on DLC's, VR headsets, gaming PC's and other hardware, the cost of the sim itself is probably the cheapest element and perhaps a further contribution from a bulk of us would satisfy everyone's wishes for AF2, whilst giving IPACS the extra resources to get on with it in a shorter timescale.

If funding to help IPACS expand is something people would be happy to look at (and pending IPACS and their extended team want it), perhaps we can discuss options of making that a reality and I have included a poll in this post.

Edited 2 times, last by deanl90 (September 21, 2017 at 9:32 PM).

• How about just getting more sim add ons. Have you got the 'less appealing' aircraft? They might be more fun than you thought. I might try the PC FS Beech Duchess, the Baron is too up-market for me (and the mobile Barons are full of faults).

They could put the Robinson R22 helicopter out, they say it is more or less ready. It would also be a crowd puller. Perhaps the Boeing 777 has got beyond one undercarriage leg by now.

Edited once, last by Overloaded (September 21, 2017 at 10:14 PM).

• Thank you for your good intentions here regarding kickstarter poll but at this time it's not needed based on our game plan. We have discussed a kickstarter program a few times now but have decided against it.

Also, Aerofly FS2 will be completed successfully without this need.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Thank you for your good intentions here regarding kickstarter poll but at this time it's not needed based on our game plan. We have discussed a kickstarter program a few times now but have decided against it.

Also, Aerofly FS2 will be completed successfully without this need.

You should notice however that only 18% of your users are totally against the idea. It shows you how committed we are to the program and that we are willing to do what it takes to see it to completion.

• My experience of running a business that involves software development is that it can be very difficult and time consuming to take new people on especially if the existing team is very small and the tricky stuff is in the heads of a small number of people. A bigger team involves a big learning curve for the new guys, very little productivity during the transition period, much more ongoing communications overhead and often a step change in processes to avoid undermining the benefits. From IPACS reaction now and in the past I wonder if they are really cash strapped or more constrained by factors such as this. In my case my business is small and I don't want to make a step change as it would change my lifestyle and other factors which are as important as revenue. I have developers to do non core things (equivalent to IPACS scenery and aircraft modelling) but the core is very hard to unpack. Too hard/not worth it for me. Given the core is so essential to FS2 and things like better weather are dependent on it, I suspect IPACS are in a similar situation. It would be a big strategic decision to make a step change. Probably they are slowly bringing their non core developers like Jan closer to the core stuff over time, but a big lump of cash wouldn't really help them.

• I agree with your assessment. I have never thought they were "cash strapped" per se, but I have hoped that maybe if they had a new source of income they might hire more folks. They have made it clear at this point that they aren't going to do that and I accept their decision.

The product is great, I just wish it were coming along faster. I won't question their judgement any further.

• My experience of running a business that involves software development is that it can be very difficult

@deanl90

hiring staff, kickstarter funding, expanding core team,

none of this gets things done.

The 2 core guys are in a creative coding process,

all they need is time and freedom. and a sandwich once in a while.

adding non-core-content or getting funds is so easy,

they will source up at the time they need it.

• Your perspective is spot on, only it's a good coffee they would rather :)

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff