Has anyone created any storage tanks from the new Aerofly FS 2 xref_buildings library? I'm trying to get started creating some of these objects, but am stuck between step 1 and step 2.

• Using Rodeo's Airport Design w/ AC3d tutorial I can create a box in AC3D and I have a readable image of the tank of my choice so I know the x, y dimensions but I'm not sure which one goes where to move forward.

Maybe once us users build a few of these 3d buildings (objects) we can upload them to a common folder for others to download and use. It seems strange that we are all individually jumping thru the loops to get these objects into AF2. Maybe all this is just for the actual placement of the objects, if so, it seems overly complicated to me. I was expecting some sort of file that I could place at a given lat/lon and maybe increase the size up or down and rotate it to fit the need.

Early adopters get to walk the tightrope before the net is installed. :(

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Regards,

Ray

• Ray,

the purpose of the xref library is to provide users an easy way to populate scenery and save a lot of time without any modeling experience at all.

All that you have to do is create a dummy cube, place that object wherever you want to see it in your scenery, and name the dummy object the same exact name of the xref object that you are placing.

To turn the object you simple just turn the dummy cube.

The xref objects are already in Aerofly.

The xref objects can't be resized or modified however, as they are already sized per real-world counterpart.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Thanks. I guess a cube and a box are different things. I will try with a cube.

Regards,

Ray

• Thanks. I guess a cube and a box are different things. I will try with a cube.

Regards,

Ray

In 3DS Max it's just called a 'dummy object'. When placed it's a cube. In the hierarchy it reads as 'dummy', that's what you rename.

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Jeff,

I am missing the overall concept here. I am looking for the end result to be a folder with several library objects that I can select and add to various lat long positions in AF2 - similar to the DaveW Objects Library.

I am using Rodeo's tutorial for kdwh runway and I think I am confused that I am wishing to use the library objects at other locations - not at the tutorial airport.

If the end result is to have a series of tanks, buildings, airplanes, etc in the xref library, why does the individual users have to make the user files. I guess, I am asking why we are doing this and not someone at IPACS so we can go to downloads and get the xref library.

I'm thinking these object will end up being either tgi or tmb files or both. It is fuzzy but, I am beginning to settle on a concept that it all starts with a tsc file that references some objects that I locate using lat lon. The place folder will need to have the tmb for each object and the ttx or tgi files may or may not need to be in the folder. This is based on using DaveW's objects.

At present it sounds like all users will be duplicating efforts if we wish to use the xref library objects.

Regards,

Ray

• Ray,

You seem to be a bit confused about this. there is no folder for these objects, they are already in-game as shared objects. You need to 'attach' them to a dummy object in your own scene.

Also, there is no need to build a library of these objects to download/upload as they are already there.

You will not see any reference to these objects in your scenery folder.

Adding any object listed in these xref libraries is as easy as this;

1) place a dummy object where you want to see the model

2) rename the dummy object to the name of the xref model that you want to see in the scene

3) export this object along with your other objects into your _obj file to convert

Regards,

Jeff

• OK. Thanks, Can you give me some pointers on which program and where I add info for these 3 easy steps?

1) What program am I using to "place a dummy object" and especially how do I specify "where" I want to see it?

If I am using a tsc file I can reference the lat lon by copying the location from google maps.

2) Where do I rename the object? tsc file?

3) Export, Now this sounds like I am using something like AD3D. If so, back to square one. How do I place an object where I want to see it?

Your 3 easy steps doesn't seem to support using individual tmb objects to me.

Sorry for being confused, but I am soooo confused. It still sounds like the user has to build a tgi file and then run the converter to get a tmb file that is referenced to a specific location using a tsc file.

Regards,

Ray

• Answers:

1) You can use AC3D, 3DS Max, or Cinema4D. The same 3D modeling program that you are using for making your airport.

2) Same application as above...

3) Yes, it's the only way to build an airport at this time or add any objects to your scenery. Unless you are just making basic airports with no models, that would only require the TSC file.

You are correct, one would still need to export a tgi file and convert it.

Regards,

Jeff

• Answers:

1) You can use AC3D, 3DS Max, or Cinema4D. The same 3D modeling program that you are using for making your airport.

2) Same application as above...

3) Yes, it's the only way to build an airport at this time or add any objects to your scenery. Unless you are just making basic airports with no models, that would only require the TSC file.

You are correct, one would still need to export a tgi file and convert it.

Success. :);)^^:D8o:huh::rolleyes::whistling:

I'm sure most of this was taught in 2nd grade. Unfortunately, I skipped the entire year.

Now I understand how it is done, more or less. I was able to place an object from the xref library into one of my airport scenery files. Thanks for putting up with the dumbness.

What I still don't understand is why IPACS doesn't just have a user library with tmb files so we can grab one and place it in a tsc file and use the orientation to rotate it.

Regards

Ray

• Congratulations Ray,

if you succeeded with one object you can add more of them, put them into a group and export them in a single job.

And it is really fascinating, to put a block or cube in ac3d, feed it with name and rotation angle, and then see this in aerofly.

Actually it is not important, which object you place. Like Jeff said, this is only a dummy for the library object.

You are moving so fast from topic to topic, always at the front of development.

Regards

Rodeo

• I am mostly fumbling with AC3D. I can't get the 'rotation' feature to work so I am going to have to hold up on more scenery unless someone comes up with a method of orientation or rotation in the tsc file for the xref buildings. I also have not figured out any logic for placement using AC3D so I have been avoiding any groupings.

Does the x y dimensions of the xref object have to match what is in the jpg library list. Could I change a square building to a rectangular one or stretch the length of a skinny building?

Regards,

Ray

• If I do get the group feature working for export and I later break up the group to move individual objects?

Regards,

Ray