BelGeode takes a look at Aerofly FS2 VR

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• That's an excellent video but I do cringe at hearing "Aerofly Lite".

BelGeode is pretty much a hardcore simmer. The fact that he got around to trying Aerofly at all is pretty cool. The fact that he had some praise as well as caveats is awesome.

As he wrote in the comments section of the vid, replying to a poster:

Have to tell you Gorilla, I was kind of SHOCKED when I first put the VR on in this thing. I was like, wait... this is the same program everyone was poo-pooing on last year because it was a cellphone app??? Did you see that jetway at KSFO? That looked like I could walk up there and use the controls to move it!

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Hi Jan,

Sorry, this was probably improper wording from my side and I apologize if it hurts you, it was not my intention.

Yes, looking at aircraft files I can see there's actually an electrical system behind, despite without much obvious effect except on the ammeter.

But still engine startup/shutdown when featured is just a discrete step based on a few booleans, magnetos are not featured, I have to set very low throttle (approx 40%) to cruise at a realistic power setting be it at 5'000ft or 10'000ft without over-rev. Whatever the flight I have the same weight and balance.

There were more systems featured in FS3.1's C172 when I started some 25 years ago, if we only look at aircraft systems.

Regarding weather I can just play with sliders to make it more or less windy (without value), changing the direction and turbulences, add more or less cumulus or cirrus around me, still by the mean of sliders without values, that's far from what can be called a weather engine, without talking about real weather.

The flight planner only allows to set a departure and a destination, without allowing to set your route with your desired exit or entry points or use aerodromes as enroute waypoints, no way to compute your horizontal navigation, no talk about vertical navigation and a way to load/save routes.

Yes you've all been doing and keep doing a great job. I think I've ever been supportive, saying it takes time and praising what's good in AFS2, fortunately enough I could find other things I enjoy in this sim.

But it's a fact you should not expect simmers used to other platforms to consider AeroflyFS 2 to be more than a "light" simulator with what's currently featured.

The fact that Marc is busy programming an ATC tends to prove that aircraft basic systems rendering (like e.g. magnetos, mixture, fuel circuits, engine power output depending on air density, startup/shutdown sequence, etc.) is not your current highest priority and I'm fine with it.

Sure it will come later (hopefully), as well as a weather engine, a flexible flight planner, and many other features, and one day Aerofly FS2 will be called a full grown simulator. But it takes time and it's not yet in it. Expecting reviewers or users to say the opposite would by lying to potential future customers that could be pretty much disappointed when stepping in.

Keep up the good work.

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• The flight planner only allows to set a departure and a destination, without allowing to set your route with your desired exit or entry points or use aerodromes as enroute waypoints, no way to compute your horizontal navigation, no talk about vertical navigation and a way to load/save routes.

You should experiment more with the flight planner. I'm able to add enroute VORs, NDBs, airports, custom waypoints and even any real waypoint if I display them on the navigation dialog map. Sure, you can't avoid the default final approach fix and the base leg but apart from that you can pretty much create any route you like. Not vertically fine tuned yet, that is correct.

Regards,

Jan