• Hi Guys,

I know weather is spoken about a lot on here but I wanted to hear the IPACS teams thoughts on a thick and edge to edge overcast layer of cloud.

I've seen that part of the problem with cloud is the rendering of hundreds or thousands of clouds, which would lead to performance issues, however, a thick continuous cloud layer may work.

I'm not a developer so I could be way off the track here, but my thinking is that let's say the cloud layer is at 10,000 ft - perhaps once you've reached 12,000 ft, the ground layers & textures can stop rendering in such detail and the focus can be on everything above the cloud, avoiding big hits to performance.

Either way, it would be good to hear your thoughts as before a full weather system is implemented, it would be a great addition to have a thick overcast layer and perhaps the option for some rain too.

Thanks

• This is easier said than done. Currently the clouds are in place with code that doesn't belong to IPACS so it can't be changed, modified, or manipulated at this time. We are confident that if a new weather system was introduced it would be much better, and the performance would also be better than what is in place at the moment.

Unfortunately this is something that will need to wait a bit longer as there are currently too many other priorities right now.

Eventually we will get to a completely new weather system but it won't be for some time.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• It's not the same, but the best I have been able to do to simulate bad weather is to crank the visibility way down. That way the runway isn't visible until you are very low and close. It makes ILS approaches "fun".

Improved weather has been one of my too frequently made requests, but I have now accepted that it isn't coming any time soon.

• It's not the same, but the best I have been able to do to simulate bad weather is to crank the visibility way down. That way the runway isn't visible until you are very low and close. It makes ILS approaches "fun".

Improved weather has been one of my too frequently made requests, but I have now accepted that it isn't coming any time soon.

Great tip. Just gave it a go as an ILS landing at Geneva which was very cool. Thanks for that! Best, Dean