Scenery Builders Idea: Making a library of Decals etc.

• I was wondering how much interest there would be in creating a library of things like decals etc for all scenery builders to use.

Ground decals etc are fairly standardized around the world.

I was thinking if we create them and export to WAVEFRONT OBJ files which are fairly common across all 3d programs we might be able to build up a nice little (Large) library of objects for people to use.

All decals etc added to the library would have to be built from US not taken from other packages so we can avoid any copyright issues.

Any interest???

• Since all airports are different, it would be very difficult at best to align any decals up to the exact same lines at a particular airport. Decals would also have to be packed into the same group prior to export then the map file (_color) would need to be placed into your airport project folder. This may become more trouble than it's worth for users.

Just my personal opinion here.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Since all airports are different, it would be very difficult at best to align any decals up to the exact same lines at a particular airport. Decals would also have to be packed into the same group prior to export then the map file (_color) would need to be placed into your airport project folder. This may become more trouble than it's worth for users.

Just my personal opinion here.

I am thinking about creating 'models' that would be able to be imported, sized rotated etc.

• Interestingly I asked Rodeo to do something very similar just last week. I was thinking that if we had some more or less standard runways, i.e., 3,000 ft, 3,500, 4,000, . . . . 10,000, 12,000 and a few different widths, 23m, 30m, 45m, 61m that could be applied anyplace just using the tmb files and a lat/lon location. These could a have a few different colors, light bluish/gray, darker gray, larger ones with tire burn marks, etc.

Matching decals could have edge and centerline markings with no runway numbers, and a few could have cardinal headings, The few users with the 3d software and the skills might volunteer to make custom decal runway headings if asked, etc.

We could also have a few semi standard object files for adding a tower, a fuel station, a small ramp, a few hangars and an FBO.

I think it would be a great idea. 8o

Regards,

Ray

• All these file sizes are quite small and if the developer used AC3D, for instance, he could include the ac file along with the color files and the tsc and tmb files. I think it would be a lot of bang for the buck and the beginner user could add an airport definition for the NAV page in a matter of minutes then overlay a runway to smooth takeoffs and landing and be off and running in no time.

It certainly gets me excited.

Regards,

Ray

• Pardon me but I think runways should be vector polygons you simply resize, texture, orientate and place by the mean of XML calls.

You only need sets of textures for various shades of concrete and asphalt pavements, as well as grass and dust. The same for markings.

That way, no need to invest 1'500 USD/year to place simple runways

Thinking further, the very same can be used for taxiways and aprons, eventually placing generic buildings from the libraries with another XML and everybody can create a nice airfield without much effort and for free.

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Well Antoine, I personally have no idea what a vector polygon looks like or where to find one, but I think I could simply resize, orientate and place, also not sure about how to texture and I don't know how to write XML. But, I do know that AC3D has a one time cost of $89.

Thinking further, maybe you can make a test copy of a basic airport with some simple taxiways, aprons, a runway or two and a few generic building from the libraries with some example XML code, using vector polygon, of course.

I am certainly willing to test it out for you. =O?(8o

Regards,

Ray