Low resolution areas appear close to HD geoconverted areas

• Hi all:

Please look at the picture below. This is KFLL (Fort Lauderdale airport), reduced to a small HD area geoconverted with FSET at -1 level, but the rest is all South Florida, USA, geoconverted with FSET at +1 down south to Miami area (Kendall). It can be seen three different areas -without any resolution- that now appear after adding the HD KFLL small area to its sides (North, East and South). Sometimes this has happened to me in other places as well. Is there a way to anticipate this and avoid it?.

Cheers, Ed

aerofly_fs_2_screenshot_01_20171026-222732.pdf

• Ed,

I just today created a new area adjacent to an earlier scenery area of mine in an effort to expand the original. Unfortunately along the northern border I'm seeing a few tiles of low res default scenery that should be the high res scenery I just added. For some reason (and it's probably my fault but I don't know why) separate created scenery projects don't want to play nice with each other.

There is probably a good explanation for this and I need to go over the steps to add new areas so they properly work with older created areas, but I really was under the impression that separate areas created with Geoconvert would just work seamlessly with each other. Obviously they don't, but I will reexamine the tutorials and posts to see what I'm missing.

I have added a 1m high res area that is completely within the borders of a 2m res area ( a city within a larger area) and it works perfectly. To repeat, the issue I'm seeing is getting areas that overlap to some degree to work seamlessly together without having low res default scenery show up.

So, you're not alone...

Ken

• Hi Ken:

Thanks for your valuable input. As you state, this happens sometimes, not always, the problem is that I haven't found any specific pattern or clue to find the root cause. Almost 90% of my created areas have several smaller areas with higher resolution (specific terrain POI's, airports, mainly) and almost all of them work well when you overlap them together, but there are cases (2 out of ten more or less), on which you have the non-resolution tiles showing up. Very strange issue indeed.

If you find something, please share.

Cheers, Ed

• Ed,

Problem solved (I think :)).

Solution: I took extra pains to be sure and overlap my new scenery area generously with the old, and reran FSET and Geoconvert. I'm not sure just how much of an overlap is necessary, but apparently I added more than enough as the scenery is being generated properly now with no low res default tiles showing through the scenery.

This has more than likely been emphasized by Jeff or Rodeo in the forums and I've missed it; hope this helps you and others who may be experiencing the same issue.

Ken

• Ed,

Solution: I took extra pains to be sure and overlap my new scenery area generously with the old, and reran FSET and Geoconvert. I'm not sure just how much of an overlap is necessary, but apparently I added more than enough as the scenery is being generated properly now with no low res default tiles showing through the scenery.

This has more than likely been emphasized by Jeff or Rodeo in the forums and I've missed it; hope this helps you and others who may be experiencing the same issue.

That could be the solution!. As you mentioned, difficult to say how much overlapping should be necessary but what's true is that in my case the missing/non-resolution tiles are relatively close to the boundaries of the geoconverted areas, so your conclusion makes sense. I'll try again.

Thanks, Ed

• Ed,

I just today created a new area adjacent to an earlier scenery area of mine in an effort to expand the original. Unfortunately along the northern border I'm seeing a few tiles of low res default scenery that should be the high res scenery I just added. For some reason (and it's probably my fault but I don't know why) separate created scenery projects don't want to play nice with each other.

There is probably a good explanation for this and I need to go over the steps to add new areas so they properly work with older created areas, but I really was under the impression that separate areas created with Geoconvert would just work seamlessly with each other. Obviously they don't, but I will reexamine the tutorials and posts to see what I'm missing.

I have added a 1m high res area that is completely within the borders of a 2m res area ( a city within a larger area) and it works perfectly. To repeat, the issue I'm seeing is getting areas that overlap to some degree to work seamlessly together without having low res default scenery show up.

So, you're not alone...

Exact same issue here. Of the whole area, Hidef tiles appear when I fly over sometimes, and sometimes disappear also, and in the overlap it's a switch between hires tiles.

• Ed,

Ken:

No luck here. Increased the overlaping of the small HD area (airport) by much as 300% and now the non-resolution tiles appear farther away from my HD airport in the border between the normal resolution of the big area and the HD area of the airport, just as before, but now farther away (of course the small area is bigger now).

I have now small HD areas with almost no overlap (just the airport area) and what I call "big overlap" (as much as 300% more area than the airport area), and the results vary between them. Sometimes there are non-resolution tiles, and sometimes there're not.

Do you think an increased overlap of 300% is not that much?. Which was your increased size of the overlapping?.

Cheers, Ed

• Ed,

Not sure we are having the same issues. My first attempt at Geoconvert gave me a problem similar to yours and I had to start over when I could not fix it. I then created a 2m area approx. 140 x 75 miles; then placed a 20 x 20 1m city area just about in the center of that. No issues, worked fine. Yesterday I attempted to attach a new area to the northeast quadrant by closely aligning the borders, but experienced the problems I wrote about earlier. My experiment which I attempted and worked was to redo the new area but extend the bottom, or southern border of it, about 10 or 15 miles down into the original or first area. It is also 2m res, by the way, and this worked fine.

Hope this gives you a better idea of what worked for me, at least this time. Please update the thread if you find success with your project, and I hope you figure it out.

Ken

• Hi Ken:

These are my issues/findings after several tests with different overlapping areas:

1. Created a big area with FSET DR 2 (2m/Pix), of about 32 NM x 46 NM.

2. Created a small area with FSET DR -1, of about 3.7 NM x 2.2 NM, to cover one HD airport within the big area.

3. Geoconverted to levels 9, 11 and 12 the big area and to levels 13, 14 the small area (covering the HD airport) using the Geoconvert Helper Tool. Works fine.

4. Within AFS2, no problems of non-resolution tiles in any place, the different area resolutions (big and small areas) blend together very well.

5. Now, created another small area for another HD airport farther away to the North of the first HD airport using FSET DR -1, of about 6.3 NM x 5.5 NM.

6. Geoconverted to level 14 the new HD airport area created in (5) above, step by step without the helper tool.

7. Within AFS2, to the northern border of the newly created HD airport, there are non-resolution tiles. Those tiles are within the first big area created in (1) above and should show in 2m/Pix, but they're not showing up in any kind of resolution.

I did not find anything related to this in the Geoconvert Advanced Features Tutorial or in any other place on the Tutorials. I guess this is a bug of the Geoconvert process. I have to say that I repeated the same process to create other HD airports to the south of the big area created in (1), and I did not see any non-resolution tiles within AFS2, so everything was normal.

This seems to be an unpredictable issue, because it doesn't happen all the time (this is the most difficult part).

Hopefully Jeff and Rodeo could have some time to re-look at this and suggest a remedy. Do you suggest something else?.

Thanks, Ed

• Ed,

I have no other suggestions at this time. My only other thought on your situation is perhaps the second airport you added is too close to the northern border of your "big area".

Again, it appears that the issues we see with low res tiles seem to occur around the borders of scenery additions. Perhaps you could re-do your original "big area" and expand it to the north a bit so your new northern airport is not to close to the upper, or northern border.

Hope you get this sorted out!

Ken

• Ed,

I have no other suggestions at this time. My only other thought on your situation is perhaps the second airport you added is too close to the northern border of your "big area".

Again, it appears that the issues we see with low res tiles seem to occur around the borders of scenery additions. Perhaps you could re-do your original "big area" and expand it to the north a bit so your new northern airport is not to close to the upper, or northern border.

Hope you get this sorted out!

Ken:

You're probably right. This is what I'll test on my next project. I can survive for now with the current KFLL status, and if I find something usefull to share I'll report back here.

Thanks for your help.

Ed

• On the other area on which I had the same issue the problem is gone.

I think we have a valid suggestion to solve the appearance of non-resolution tiles close to HD areas inserted into bigger LD areas.

Cheers, Ed

• Glad that is working for you... I generated a new area yesterday and included 3 1m small areas within it's borders. I was careful to make sure the large area's borders would not be too close to the small 1m areas, and the result was good with no problems.

On another note, I found that although a 4m area allowed for a large coverage of scenery quickly, the result is just not pleasing enough to my eyes to continue with it. Any future areas I produce will be done in 2m res, with 1m enhancements.

Ken

• On another note, I found that although a 4m area allowed for a large coverage of scenery quickly, the result is just not pleasing enough to my eyes to continue with it. Any future areas I produce will be done in 2m res, with 1m enhancements.

Same for me!. For large area I use 2m res, and for smaller HD areas, depending on its size, I go for 0,50m or 0.25m res.

I generated a new area yesterday and included 3 1m small areas within it's borders. I was careful to make sure the large area's borders would not be too close to the small 1m areas, and the result was good with no problems.

I'll take that into account, borders not too close!.

Keep in touch.

Cheers, Ed