Experience with Windows Mixed Reality - Working

• I just want to share my experience with my ACER AH 101 Windows Mixed Reality Headset, for some people that could be interested. (Sorry for my "frenchy" english, I try to do my best).

I should say that it is my first experience with VR.

I spend a lot of time searching everything about this new technology (WMR), having known that VR for AFS2 seemed to be really great.

Despite I haven't found anything about this headset concerning AFS2, I decided to buy it and crossed my fingers hoping it will be functional for it : I checked all the pre-requisites (W10 FCU, CPU, GPU, etc).

I started by obtaining an activation key (one shot key) for "Steam VR for Windows Mixed Reality BETA" and installed it. Note that I have been waiting about one week for the key.

And... finally it works ! :) Great...

You have to follow a complex sequence in the right order, but it is worth the pain.

OK, I hope AFS2 team will integrate in the future, native WMR support... :saint:

In my opininon, AFS2 and WMR means a huge potential.

More to come... ;)

i5-6600K | 16GB DDR4 | 1TB Seagate SSHD | 1050Ti 4GB | Acer AH101 WMR HeadSet | Logitech Pro Flight Yoke System + Quadrant

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | nVidia drivers 398.36

• Noyau34 salut! Je tente depuis 24 heures de faire marcher mon Lenovo Explorer. Sans succès jusqu'ici.

Dès que j'ai du nouveau je reviens vers toi pour partager mes expériences (jusqu'ici Oculus Rift sans problème, sauf résolution trop basse)

Mon anglais est bien moins bon que le tien, mais je continuerai dans cette langue pour partager avec plus de monde. Ok?

A+ JJS

• I do have a high degree of interest in the Samsung Odyssey, but have been reluctant to make the plunge due to these devices essentially only being able to run programs designed for WMR.

The announcement of Steam for WMR was encouraging, but I'm still on the fence until the capability becomes both ubiquitous across the majority of titles, and seamless from the user side.

I also wonder will Oculus titles become accessible on the platform.

But just hearing that Aerofly works is very encouraging.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Hi all,

Sorry, I just replied to another post of JJS.

Anyway, I can talk about my experience with WMR Headset (ACER AH101) : you just have to wait this evening, I'm too busy now ;)

i5-6600K | 16GB DDR4 | 1TB Seagate SSHD | 1050Ti 4GB | Acer AH101 WMR HeadSet | Logitech Pro Flight Yoke System + Quadrant

• Hi JJS,

In order to get my WMR Headset (ACER) working with Steam VR (beta for WMR) I had to (prepare paracetamol...) :

Request a key for the closed beta program for Steam "WMR", using URL "http://aka.ms/iwantmr", and sign up (maybe it's not necessary anymore today since Steam for WMR has been officially released yet)

Download Windows Mixed Reality PC Check, and check my PC to validate the requirements

Download and upgrade Windows 10 pro to "Fall creators update"

Few days later, Activate the key in Steam in order to get Steam VR, and set it in beta mode in the properties

Enable Windows 10 Developer mode

Plug the headset (it launches WMR home)

Calibrate the room

Launch Steam VR from the desktop with the mouse (unable to launch it from WMR home, not found)

Inside Steam VR home launch AFFS2 (it believes you're wearing a HTC Vive, a kind of emulation so)

Center view by pressing the space bar

Click Start with the "laser" of the controller

Say "Oh la vache !" four times at least

A+

Bonne nuit

• After doing some more research.....

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Dear friends,

See what I have done so far:

Paracetamol: after tons of hours and hours of frustrating trials, I had to relax! Thanks for the tip!

Since Steam for WMR has been officially released > no key

I have checked my PC to validate the requirements. The answer was YES

My Windows 10 is fully updated

Steam VR is installed, mode BETA (even If I don't understand why, after Nov 15th, I still need to use the beta way)

Windows 10 Developer mode DONE (same rmk)

Plug the headset (it launches WMR home-YES !!). My Lenovo Explorer headset is plugged in and seems to work. At least I can see the home page of WMR, with furniture, screens, trees, terraces, the sky, and so on. I can move my head left-right-up-down, see behind me, and so on...

As I will remain seated, I have no choice. I cannot calibrate the room. I have selected standing or seating position.

Batteries are in the controllers, but I see no "on" led anywhere. Well, I don't need controllers for flight sims

I have launched Steam VR (becomes green, and says Steam VR active). Good, no?

Now, maybe I do not quite understand what you mean by Inside Steam VR home launch AFFS2

What I do is clic on Aerofly FS2 in Steam, then play, then a small window opens and there are 3 choices:

1) play AFFS2

2) play AFFS2 in VR with Oculus Rift

3) play AFFS2 in VR with Steam VR

I select 3), but I get a warning saying my headset is not identified, and Steam VR quits

I do not say "Oh la vache !" four times, but something less elegant, hundred times!!

Next time, before buying a new headset, I will carefully check that the device has been proved to be properly working on my simulators. I am not good enough to manage unending frustrating procedures. I've tried for weeks now.

Anyway, I appreciate your kind help and patience. Many thanks for giving your time and your knowhow

Last but not least: compared to the Oculus Rift, is the resolution clearly better in WMR ?

• Batteries are in the controllers, but I see no "on" led anywhere. Well, I don't need controllers for flight sims

In one of the WMR videos I watched, the reviewer mentioned that he believes the controllers require a computer with a bluetooth connection, and that for some reason, a bluetooth dongle is not included with these headsets.

He had to run out to the store to grab one.

Devons rig