High Definition Mesh courtesy of the USGS

• For myself, I think the community tends towards standardization. In other sims you have a base mesh, and people tend to stick with that on a local level just because things can quickly get confusing otherwise. Proliferation of meshes eventually requires somebody with time, resources, and infinite patience, like Orbx, to rectify anomalies with a tool like the FTX airport elevations configurator, or for somebody like apilotX to step forwards with his various Hd Mesh versions to eventually get everyone more or less all back on the same page.

I noted DrHotwing1 telling everyone to be careful on this, and I realize once the genie is out of the bottle that it ain't going back in.......

With that in mind, my post was more about giving Ipacs a "poke" on the subject, since I suspect they might want to exert some overall control if possible, before it becomes the wild wild west out there.

On the other hand, maybe they don't care at all, in which case....... nevermind! ^^

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

Edited once, last by HiFlyer (April 11, 2018 at 4:51 AM).

• I don't think having our own modified scenery/meshes would cause trouble at all. In case of in any installation you can always restore the original sim files through the steam file integrity checks. And..., IPACS is already making difficult the sharing of the mods between the users, anyway.

Cheers, Ed

• For myself, I think the community tends towards standardization. In other sims you have a base mesh, and people tend to stick with that on a local level just because things can quickly get confusing otherwise. Proliferation of meshes eventually requires somebody with time, resources, and infinite patience, like Orbx, to rectify anomalies with a tool like the FTX airport elevations configurator, or for somebody like apilotX to step forwards with his various Hd Mesh versions to eventually get everyone more or less all back on the same page.

I noted DrHotwing1 telling everyone to be careful on this, and I realize once the genie is out of the bottle that it ain't going back in.......

With that in mind, my post was more about giving Ipacs a "poke" on the subject, since I suspect they might want to exert some overall control if possible, before it becomes the wild wild west out there.

On the other hand, maybe they don't care at all, in which case....... nevermind! ^^

I do very much see your point, and if it were an ideal world where they could realistically just supply us with highly-detailed terrain meshes directly from IPACS, I'd certainly be in favor of that. The need for user-customization stems from the fact that it isn't yet practical to be able to supply a very detailed mesh to cover everywhere that anyone might want it, the same way that having maximum resolution photoscenery isn't practical for a entire large areas either. The available DLC add-ons are pretty good, but they still don't come close to what you can make yourself if you are converting a small area and going for maximum quality. I understand I'm probably not the 'typical user,' but it's hard for me to go back to the default or DLC scenery having seen what is possible!

It would be great if they'd improve their default mesh that installs with the sim, but having tested all of this I can say I still wouldn't be happy if it wasn't as good as what I'm currently using ^^ The improvement in the visuals, appearance of photoscenery (due to it being mapped to a correctly shaped geometry), and possibilities in the kinds of airstrips (e.g. backcountry or unpaved airstrips in mountainous regions) that can be created with a high-res elevation mesh is huge.

I can understand why they'd want to control it and not allow the custom stuff. But I'm basically pleading here for them to ignore any requests to do so in my own selfish interests, until they can replace the stuff I've made with something just as good :D

• Each airport is like a painting - I initially bought several by Orbx. Now I'm working to expand my collection with a few from Mybx!

Hopefully FSCP will handle all the airport/3D object stuff so that the user only needs to prep their elevation mesh and scenery tiles.