• Hi guys,

4 of the most important things I couldn't work out in AC3D yet is:

1) how to set the scale once I inserted my reference image.

2) how was that mesh of vertices generated for the airport area

3) how was the runway sliced up (manually)?

4) how was the airport mesh merged with the runway mesh?

I've been tryig to find answers for 2 days now - no tutorial on these (I guess basic) steps anywhere for AC3D. It must be the least documented awesome program ever...

Anyone with a bit of experience? (Rodeo? :))

Cheers

Dan

• Hi Dan,

1) I started already to prepare avideo tutorial for the reference image. It will be available within the next few days.

2-4) These steps follow the standard usage of AC3D:

Create an object like a mesh in the top view, select as many x and y sections as you want.

Fit it roughly to your background image and then modify the position of vertices.

To do so, use the select mode 'Vertex'. You can move single points or whole sets of them.

When your mesh represents the outline of your runway and outside area, change to the select mode 'Surface' and select just the runway surfaces.

'Surface - Cut away object' creates a separate runway object out of the surrounding mesh.

You can use the kdwh.ac for your own runway and modify it. This is especially recommended for the runway decals. It is much easier, to move, scale and slice the decals than doing the whole work again.

I'll may do a tut some time later about this.

Currently I suggest to search for AC3D in youtube. There exist many clips about this cool tool. Although not specifically for runway design, but more for understanding the general workflow of it.

Rodeo

• Currently I suggest to search for AC3D in youtube. There exist many clips about this cool tool. Although not specifically for runway design, but more for understanding the general workflow of it.

As stated several times by drhotwing1 (IPACS), a specific tutorial to use AC3D, similar to the one already delivered for 3DSMax, will be posted at some point in time in the wiki section. This tutorial should help beginners to learn the use of the AC3D tool even if we have no previous background in 3D design.

Certainly your original tutorial and existing videos posted on YouTube will also help, as you mention.

Cheers, Ed

• Rodeo - Much appreciated, thanks a lot! I've been working on sceneries for some time but I'm totally new to AC3D - I thought it would be something basic like that.

Edward - sure, I'm aware that there will be a tutorial at some point and I didn't want to seem inpatient, I know how busy these guys are, but I was keen on starting my little project. Once I'm done I'll be uploading a tutorial myself.

Cheers

Dan

• Rodeo - Much appreciated, thanks a lot! I've been working on sceneries for some time but I'm totally new to AC3D - I thought it would be something basic like that.....

Hi Dan,

these are excellent preconditions. As soon as you got the workflow of AC3D, you'll make a fast progress.

Rodeo