3ds max flatten airport area without textures

• Hi All,

Figured out how to use FSET and add a simple runway with lights.

However, I can't work out the easiest way to just flatten an airport area (using 3ds max) so that landing is possible on the FSET generated background ie I'm not bothered about texturing the runway/apron/decals etc.

Any help appreciated.

• You can take a look at my tutorial in the wiki HERE

Look under ' creating your groundpoly' section. You would only need to use all black coloring as you wish to use the geoconvert imagery only. Black color will make your groundpoly all transparent. There would still be a learning curve to do this even basic.

However, in order to take off/land from your simple runway you don't really need to do anything more than what you mentioned above unless the runways are too bouncy that you have no choice.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Hi Jeff, thanks - would it still be necessary to add the textures etc or would a simple mesh with the vertex colors set to black be all that is needed?

Just vertex coloring should do, and in your case, only black.

You will still need to ad at least one texture to the groundpoly per the tutorial but it wont be seen in-game.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• OK tried this but it didn't seem to work. In brief I did the following in 3ds max:

added a line around the terrain and close spline

added modifier - quadify

added texture to mesh with texture named xxxx__airport__runway (double underscore)

added modifier - Unwrap UVW

added modifier - Edit mesh - select and set color of all vertices to RGB 0,0,0

added modifier - vertex paint to confirm colors

'Compiles' OK with no errors, lights and the couple of buildings I've added show up but the ground is not flattened.