D400 tutorial video?

• Ok, so I spend half an hour trying to get going with the D400 but although the tutorial looks totally awesome way too many items aren't shown at all and I am already sick and tired of searching for knobs and buttons I can't find. It took me ages to get to page 7 and now I just can't find the Autofeather button, STBY HYD PRESS, PTU CONTROL and so on. So if anyone knows if there is a video that SHOWS everything I'd be very happy.

Back to the Airbus for now. ;)

• You probably mean the Q400 not D400, also not to be confused with the DR 400.

And I'm a bit confused why you couldn't find the buttons. I made a screenshot with an arrow clicking pointing on each single thing you need to interact with. So if you look at the screenshots with the arrows you should be able to locate that in the cockpit within seconds.

Video tutorials aren't nearly as flexible to changes in case we need to change something. And they take more time which is the main reason why we haven't done them.

• Well, I must be getting old. ;) I just can’t find that autofeather button and I had a hard finding various other buttons. Seems to me not all things are shown in pictures. The entire start up procedure has no pictures at all (though I understand the reasoning for that) but also a few other things I can’t find on pictures. Hence why I stopped trying. But I will have a closer and second look at everything tomorrow. Maybe I just didn’t look well enough. ;)

EDIT

And yes, sorry, of course I mean to say Q400!

BTW I was using the flight tutorial, which I had printed out, but now I also had a look at this page:

https://www.aerofly.com/aerofly_fs_2/d…_the_flightdeck

This helps! At least I found the auto feather button! ;)

Edited once, last by J van E (November 16, 2017 at 11:21 PM).

• Yesssssssssss, I just finished my first flight with the Q400! Man, that's something else than flying the good old Airbus I am so used too! But it's big fun! Lots of things to do! Reading the Intro to the flight deck really helped a LOT...! I think I will (have to) create a sort of checklist myself to make coming flights a bit easier (because using the tutorial everytime might make me skip sections and miss important things). Great plane! Nice system depth!

There is only ONE knob/switch/option I couldn't find: at one moment you have to turn on and off the HYD #3 ISOL VLV... I didn't manage to find it. Luckily the flight went well regardless. ;)

• Did my first flight ‘on my own’ this evening and it was great. Not everything went as it should, specially LNAV and VNAV gave me some problems, but I managed to get to my destination anyway by using a few other AP modes. That’s the nice thing of having all those options in a plane: there always is one that works. ;) A few more flights and I may be ready to fly the Q400 in VR! This plane needs a lot more input than the Airbus so I have to practice some more first before I can fly without a checklist. ;) But it’s really nice having a plane in Aerofly that needs so much attention! :)

• I am having a real ball with the Q400. Loving it. I am working on some sort of 'abbreviated checklist' which only shows the steps you HAVE to take in order to complete a flight, starting with the plane on a parking spot. I like perfecting checklists like that. ;) When I think it's done I might post it here for those who like 'abbreviated checklists'.

• Here is a first version of the 'to do list' I made. It's not a checklist but it shows the steps (all steps, so even the obvious ones) to get you from (almost) cold and dark at the departure airport to (almost) cold and dark at the destination airport. You can skip the start up procedure though. For best use the plane should be parked on a parking stop, so not placed on the runway already, and and ILS approach should be used. If you've run the list a few times you can obviously also land without an ILS.

I usually make a list like this for the (more complicated) planes I fly 1. to learn how to fly the aircraft (writing down all steps helps learning and remembering it all and flying it a few times to perfect the list also helps) and 2. so I can quickly fly the plane again if I haven't done so for a long time. Regular checklist only show you what you should have done already by memory and skip obvious steps and usually I've forgotten all that after not flying a plane for a while. ;) If you follow all steps from this list it should be impossible not to complete a flight.

Obviously the main problem with this list is that you have to know where all knobs and switches are... so for complete newbies this list may help but you will also have to spend some time with the Introduction To The Flightdeck (https://www.aerofly.com/aerofl…duction_to_the_flightdeck). I also usually make a picture that shows where all knobs and switches are but that was a bit too much work for now. ;)

If you find any mistakes, let me know!