Request for help on a weird issue-- FS2 crashes upon start

• Hey guys,

Greetings!

A fan from China here. I bumped into an issue nearly two weeks ago, can’t resolve it, hence trying my luck here. Any tips would be very much appreciated.

(Apologies, some screenshots below contain Chinese due to the OS I use. Just trying to give you a glimpse of what I see)

The issue first appeared on 6th Nov.

Upon game start, FS2 crashes with an error message every time, under both VR and non-VR modes.

At the beginning I thought the crash was related to a 6.8MB game update on that same day, coz I had done nothing peculiar to my PC, and after the update the issue showed up. Was playing the game fine just days before.

However, looking at Steam and this forum, all peaceful, I see apparently this is an isolated issue with my own PC.

Then I started my investigation on this ‘wbemcomn.dll’.

I’ve seen this guidance but it doesn't really help me much.

https://www.solvusoft.com/en/files/missi…6/wbemcomn-dll/

So far I have tried these:

1. DLLCare.exe which is a DLL repair tool, did a sweep and repair, the tools says all good after the repair

2. DirectX Repair.exe v3.5, all good

3. Download a wbemcomn.dll file via DLLCare and replaced files in both System32 and SysWOW64 folders (modified dates: 16th Nov 2017)

4. Try un-register/ re-register wbemcomn.dll via cmd.exe (failed again and again up to now, below screenshot says sth like Module ‘C\...dll’ has been loaded, but cannot find entrance for DLLRegisterServer. Please ensure ‘C:\...dll’ is a valid DLL or OCX file, then try again.)

5. Validate FS2 in Steam, OK

6. Uninstall FS2 completely, download and re-install FS2 without any DLC (Though it shows last played today, the game never started)

None of the above changed a thing, unfortunately.

Currently my other games and SW’s haven’t seen the same issue. Only FS2 keeps crashing.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced sth similar before and has any tips.

Thanks very much!

My PC specs:

Windows 7 64bit SP1 ( DirectX 11 )

Intel Haswell i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz

Motherboard:

Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5

RAM:

16 GB ( DDR3 1600MHz )

Storage:

1) ADATA SP900 ( 128 GB / SSD ) for Windows and SW

2) ST3000DM001-1ER166 ( 3TB / HDD ) for files

3) ST3500413AS ( 500GB / HDD ) for games including FS2

Graphics:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 ( 3 GB ), ForceWare: v388.31 (up2date)

HTC VIVE

Edited once, last by williamczx (November 17, 2017 at 5:50 PM).

• So you have both an integrated graphics card and an external NVida card.

I would first make sure that you are running the latest GPU drivers, and that the NVidia Control Panel settings are set to 'default'

Next, make sure that Aerofly is running with the NVidia card and not the integrated card. You can confirm this in the NVidia Control Panel.

Make sure that you are running the most up to date version of Aerofly.

Try to delete the main.mcf file located in your documents\aerofly fs2 folder (You will only need to reset your graphics settings in-game.

Next, try this test, lower all of your graphics settings to 'low', turn off all clouds, and turn off VSync - is it still crashing now?

Please report back once you do all of the above.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Thank you for the quick reply. Tried these, yet unfortunately still no luck.

-- GPU driver is up to date, check

-- Nvidia control panel all set to default, check

-- FS2 runs with Nvidia card, I'm pretty positive yes. How to confirm, not so sure. Is this below OK?

-- FS2 up to date, pretty positive, coz Steam does the update job automatically, no?

-- main.mcf deleted, however, since the crash issue, I never get to start the game and see the main game interface. The game crashes immediately after start.

Thanks.

• OK, this is very specific to your machine as there are only maybe 1-2 others that are mentioning crashing.

We will need to look into this more deeply.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Thanks anyway Dr.!

I guess I will try a repair of the OS at a later date. FS2 is so precious to me, 133 hrs played so far, my most frequently played game!

To make this thread less boring, I'm posting some photos (among the thousands) I took in Okinawa Japan and Shanghai China before. Thanks to FS2, an airplane freak's flying dream came true!

• A follow-up of the issue-- today I updated the Nvidia graphics card drive to an up2date version (v388.43) , meanwhile coincidently today FS2 pushed a small update 7mb-ish (also at least another two small updates in the past 2 wks), and then after these, miraculously FS2 works again!

Still not sure what the root cause of my previous issue was though, but it's gone which is great.

Thanks all.