Q400 speed at cruising altitude

• I notice that quite often the red tape on the speed tape reaches down to around 250/255 during cruise while afaik I should be able to cruise easily at 260 kts. Am I doing something wrong that causes this lower maximum allowed cruise speed? As soon as I hit that red tape I get beeps all over the place.

BTW The Q400 has become my favorite plane in Aerofly FS 2 by far!!! I am loving it! Certainly due to the system depth which goes beyond what the other planes offer. But even if for instance the Airbus offered similar depth the Q400 simply keeps you more busy. The cockpit looks awesome too: I love how Aerofly offers real time lighting where P3D has a lot of lighting effects in the cockpit burned into the textures. The textures in AFS2 look really great, very realistic. Very happy with it. (Which doesn't mean I don't want weather anymore ;) or that I love seeing planes reflected in my window, seen from the top, while I am on the ground... =OSeriously, the devs who are responsible for this reflection should take action here. ;) )

Edited 2 times, last by J van E (November 19, 2017 at 2:16 PM).

• That's just the maximum mach number limiting your speed. Now your maximum speed is limited not by the impact pressure but by the actual speed of the air around you. If you look at the TAS value you'll notice that you are actually flying quite fast (363 kt), much faster than if you were cruising at 260kt at lower altitude.

You have the same deal in A320, B747, LJ45, etc. The maximum speed can drop so low that you are already in a stall, then you're in the coffin corner, where you're stalled and in over speed at the same time.

• That's just the maximum mach number limiting your speed. Now your maximum speed is limited not by the impact pressure but by the actual speed of the air around you. If you look at the TAS value you'll notice that you are actually flying quite fast (363 kt), much faster than if you were cruising at 260kt at lower altitude.

Aaaaah, ok! I thought Aerofly FS 2 didn't take altitude in account in any way but apparently it does in some situations.

• Aaaaah, ok! I thought Aerofly FS 2 didn't take altitude in account in any way but apparently it does in some situations.

We do take altitude into account for all things. Propellers, wings, drag, etc. all done with the local air density at altitude. Power or thrust of the "newer" engine simulations also take density into account, e.g. the Q400 turboprop engines. The piston engine will probably do so in the future as well. Maybe it even does this now but not enough.

• You'll see the red airspeed barber pole increase and decrease as you change altitude and VMO changes. See below. Also the Speed changes linearly between altitudes.

VMO

20,000'-25,000'...248

18,000'-20,000'...275

10,000'-18,000'...286

8,000'-10,000'...282

0-8,000'...245