UK Cultivation - Ordnance Survey instead of Open Streetmap

• Hi Phil

Ecky thump lad, reet grately what your doing

How about asking the gods if you can post them for everyone to use, must be someway we can do this , no point reinventing the wheel every time. Will try this cultivation lark eventually, when i get some time off from EGGP.... never again

Cultivation for a car park, now that would help

Steve

Hi Steve

Phil has certainly done us all a great service in pioneering this OS cultivation. I've got the trees in place now and it's fantastic. I definitely underestimated the difference cultivation would make, because high res photo scenery is so good on its own - but the cultivation really brings the scenery to life. Interestingly the woodland seems to be the most time-consuming part of the ScenProc process. With just buildings and roads it was about half an hour for a 100 x 100 km square - with woodlands as well it was an hour and a half. But that's still nothing compared with Geoconvert. If the non-industrial buildings can be toned down a bit it will be another improvement leap.

Ian

• Hi Phil

Ecky thump lad, reet grately what your doing

How about asking the gods if you can post them for everyone to use, must be someway we can do this , no point reinventing the wheel every time. Will try this cultivation lark eventually, when i get some time off from EGGP.... never again

Cultivation for a car park, now that would help

Steve

Steve,

Eee by eck and by eckers like 'appen. Send me your email. I'm not sure the powers would go for it. Cultivation is a bit WIP at the moment. Actually try this:

Try this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x25a6bw35y69…x_phil.zip?dl=0

• Hi Phil

What gives....I downloaded this zip file from OS site

opmplc_essh_sd.zip

when unzipped I tried to add SD_Road.shp into a QGis vector layer, it told me it was not valid or recognised data and refused to go any further.

Guess this old man is missing something

Steve

• my

ok managed to work it out, you need the other files too ie dbf and shx not just shp

DOH

Do you mean in order to load into Qgis? I'm pretty sure we can bypass that now. Ian C got it working without i think

UK Cultivation - Ordnance Survey instead of Open Streetmap

• Well I would if anything was actually done in scenproc.

It reads the files and builds no building, trees etc reports no errors and goes through the process

The TOC file simply has this in

<[file][][map_sj]

<[cultivation][][]

<[string8][coordinate_system][lonlat]>

>

>

When I go to save as from QGIS, data showing correctly, I do not have the project option, I have the other 2 plus a default in the crs tab

Any thoughts

Steve

• Hi Steve

Phil's right - it works for me if I just load the 3 shp files into QGIS. I do them separately and save them separately - first "building", then "road" and finally "woodland". I end up with 3 KMLs which I then bring together in ScenProc.

One thing I find about QGIS is that it often takes quite a long time to save the layer if there's a lot of detail in the OS grid square. I always wait until the message "saved" appears at the top of the box where the map is - and that sometimes takes several minutes. (I suppose it's obvious and you may be doing that anyway - but I wasn't when I first used it!) I may be wrong but I think some of my early efforts failed because I wasn't waiting long enough.

Despite repeated efforts I still can't get QGIS to process TQ (the square with London in it). It does the woodland, but the buildings and roads seem to be more than it can handle. If Phil"s reading this maybe he knows a way of cropping the layer to exclude an area. There is some kind of select tool but it just tells me I've selected so many objects or whatever - it doesn't actually crop the OS grid square.

Another thing I find with QGIS is that I'm using Task Manager a lot - either to shut it down or to kill processes that continue to run long after I've closed it. I went straight into Aerofly after using it the other day and couldn't understand at first why it was dropping frames and stuttering like crazy!

Cheers

Ian

• Cropping is something i tried to do for a while but couldn't work out. I think Rodeo is familiar with qgis. Personally i'm trying to take qgis out of the equation and load the shp files straight into scenproc, which arno said would work. Unfortunately i confused things by saying we should use importShp which is not the case. Ian C i thought you got the shp files going straight into scenproc?

• HI Guys

Thanks for trying to help out but still no luck.

Are there any tick boxes I should know about when exporting from GIS

Here is the only error I get in scenproc

23:31 ImportOGR Error Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

then it goes on

23:31 ImportOGR Information Read 0 features from file

23:31 PlacePointsAlongLine Information Placing point features along lines with filter FTYPE="LINE" AND (FEATCODE=15719)...

23:31 PlacePointsAlongLine Information Created 0 point features

etc etc

Obviously doing something wrong but can't figure it out, must be my old brain cell

Steve (think I'll stick to airport design)

• Cropping is something i tried to do for a while but couldn't work out. I think Rodeo is familiar with qgis. Personally i'm trying to take qgis out of the equation and load the shp files straight into scenproc, which arno said would work. Unfortunately i confused things by saying we should use importShp which is not the case. Ian C i thought you got the shp files going straight into scenproc?

Hi Phil - sorry I thought you meant bypass using files other than SHP as mentioned by Steve. Unfortunately I've never managed to bypass QGIS and get the SHP files to go straight into ScenProc - I've always had to use QGIS. If Rodeo has a solution to the QGIS cropping that would be great - or maybe I ought to leave QGIS longer to process TQ (overnight?). It has spat out versions of TQ Building that I've fed into ScenProc, but the latter has either not created any buildings or just stalled for hours - so I assume the TQ Building KML was defective.

Having said that, I've cultivated a dozen other OS squares (more than I have high res scenery for) with fantastic results. It's just that one pesky square.

Cheers Ian

Edited once, last by Ian C (December 28, 2017 at 10:22 AM).

• Hi Phil and Ian

Never having produced a TOC file using this method (no probs with OSM) I'm wondering just how big they are...reason I ask is this

As we are converting OS data to KML and then to TOC can we safely say that copyright is no longer applicable as we no longer use the original data, if so and they are not too big then why can't we post them all to the forum so we just download rather than having to waste OS download time and our own time at trying to convert them.

I'm not being lazy here but it seems to make sense..Lets take Ian's london TOC problem.. say someone manages to do it but no matter how many times Ian tries he can't make it work...wouldn't it be sensible to simply say..here you are mate just use my file...

Guess I'll have another crack at this and then probably give up...maybe eventually on FS2 as I will be missing out and then I'll stop developing EGGP...ok I won't..just tying to make you all feel sorry for me. ;)

Steve

• Steve,

I think the copyright issue is no different to sharing aerofly ttx files made from google earth - i had the same thoughts. Also the same as taking footage off the BBC, converting to black and white and saying its original. I found conversion easy and sourcing is easy, so i'll just try and nail down a super streamlined workflow. Fear not!

Phil

• Phil

Just tried again, data looks fine in QGIS, right click on the layer..save as...follow your instructions..are there any other check boxes within the save as ...ie encoding, geometry, extent...that I should change etc.. I then click ok..wait a short time for it to save file as a KML

Open sceneproc, use you spc file..changed for my locations and file details... and then nothing is read from the file...TOC is empty

Had a look at KML file in notepad and it has data, wether its correct for sceneproc I do not know.

MMMM back to the drawing board

Steve