Since the Update - Update

• I know I said that the latest Nvidia driver solved my problem, and it did for the most part. Sometimes it returns, and I have noticed something. When the problem occurs, I seem to be getting a fps reading of above 90 in VR. Normally the fps reading on the screen will stay within a few tenths of 90fps in VR, but it seems to be in the 120's and 130's when this graphic anomaly is present. It is as if the screen updates are too fast for the VR to handle.

Any thoughts?

• OK that is interesting.

I forgot if you mentioned this before but what VR system are you using Vive or Oculus?

We looked into some problems that could have been related to the newly implemented ASW. When we turned this off the FPS stayed at 90, then we turned it on we had FPS all over the place.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• OK. This is however a brand new problem for me, so something must have changed recently.

Here is how I have tried to shut off ASW. I went to the debug tool and clicked disabled. I closed the program, and reopened it to confirm that it still read disabled. It did. I ran FS 2 and got the graphics problems. I went back to the debug tool and ASW now read "Auto". Hmmm.

So, I reset it to "disabled". I restarted the computer to see if a restart was required to keep ASW disabled. I checked the debug program and it said ASW was disabled. I ran FS 2, and got the graphics distortion. I returned to the debug tool and once again the ASW setting had returned to "Auto".

You can see why I assumed that FS 2 was turning the ASW back on. Something is, and FS 2 is the only program I have run.

Any thoughts?

• Oculus built ASW into their software and enables itself if your FPS drops below 90.

Since them doing this we have seen graphical issues along with FPS variances in certain circumstances but we still haven't been about to pinpoint what the problem actually is.

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Just a few more observations.

Leaving the debug tool open with ASW disabled doesn't seem to help. I assume that ASW is disabled with debug running and disabled selected, so disabling ASW may not be the key.

It is far, far worse in Chicago than anywhere else. It is very rare in the NYC scenery but the buildings in Chicago are often distorted.

Finally, lowering the supersampling (or whatever you call it in the menu, rendering something or other) from 2.0 to 1.6 removes the problem entirely. It seems to still be present at 1.7.

On a side note, it has been a blast flying slalom courses through the concrete canyons of NYC and Chicago in the Jungmeister during testing lol.

• Oldar,

The relationship between Super Sampling (Render Scale Factor) and ASW (which deals with not being at 90 fps) that you just mentioned is simply that a setting of Super Sampling above 1.5 exponentially takes more time (jumps from 30% additional time to 80% at SS=2.0 - depending on your video card) and therefore requires ASW on just about every frame - and therefore the graphics distortions. I always start with RSF/SS = 1.5 and work up a little until I see ASW kick in, and then back it off. Also, then it's more of a problem with highly complex scenery (big cities or complex airports) and therefore you should reduce RSF/SS if it becomes a problem.

Dave W.

• OK that is interesting.

I forgot if you mentioned this before but what VR system are you using Vive or Oculus?

We looked into some problems that could have been related to the newly implemented ASW. When we turned this off the FPS stayed at 90, then we turned it on we had FPS all over the place.

Using the oculus tray tool, I noticed a while ago that ASW drives Aerofly framerates crazy. Not a good idea, apparently.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Oldar,

The relationship between Super Sampling (Render Scale Factor) and ASW (which deals with not being at 90 fps) that you just mentioned is simply that a setting of Super Sampling above 1.5 exponentially takes more time (jumps from 30% additional time to 80% at SS=2.0 - depending on your video card) and therefore requires ASW on just about every frame - and therefore the graphics distortions. I always start with RSF/SS = 1.5 and work up a little until I see ASW kick in, and then back it off. Also, then it's more of a problem with highly complex scenery (big cities or complex airports) and therefore you should reduce RSF/SS if it becomes a problem.

Dave W.

How do you know when ASW "kicks in"?

• And the point for me is that this is a very recent phenomenon. I have over 270 hours in the sim and I never noticed these graphic distortions until the last few days.

I'm just trying to be helpful. The distortions don't keep me from having fun, but they are real and I thought IPACS would like to know about what I am seeing.

• We are very much aware of the graphical distortions and we have just set up an internal test bed to try to find out what's going on here. Please be patient while we investigate this.

Once we determine the source we can get it resolved.

Regards,

Jeff