A post I did on the ORBX forum

• ..... about a nice video posted there....

AF2 is the simulator of the future, they are giving us so much free stuff it's unbelievable.

The fluidity is out of this world, with the last update I see 150 FPS and more.

In a year or 2, it will be the new benchmark. Their forum is full of new post and member each day.

IPAC think differently then the others... instead of selling new DLC they are making the sim more interesting and popular... so they are selling more of the sim itself.

I am fine with V4 now.... but all my flying hours end up with AF2

Ben

BennyBoy. I5 8600K @ 4,3ghz, 16 ram, GTX 1060 6G @ UW @2560 X 1080. Sim: AF2 & P3D V4

• Yup, I saw the post. ;)

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• My first contact with the aerial simulation was years ago in a monitor with "Flight Simulator", the experiencis I do not get hooked.

The first day that fly Aerofly Fs2 in virtual reality, I bought all the modules through Steam and I have not stopped flying and studying how it is done, I am a rookie.

All the new material that I keep publishing, I will keep buying it.

Ipacs are the culprits that has reserved in China a Pimax 8k hmd, that's all said.

I love Aerofly Fs2 in vr !!!!.

Greetings.

• I will add my kudos here too. I have been a flight simmer for 30 years. In all that time, nothing has tempted me away from the MSFS range, until now. In the last two months I have spent more time with Aerofly FS2 than I have spent on MSFS in the past year. I have thousands of dollars of addons for MSFS, I have built home cockpits with that platform, was even in the industry for a while, but now I find myself hooked on FS2. I think it brings back the purity of simple flight (instead of complex systems) to flight simulation, and it's a winner.

A movie once said "If you build it they will come". And to IPACS I say, "If you build it they will buy." I look forward to the future incarnations of this new platform, with hangers full of great-looking aircraft from the companies we already know (whom we need to encourage to get behind this platform), and countries full of scenery to the same quality we are already seeing in the DLC and the detailed areas from ORBX. Bring it on!

Now.. I just need a new computer to run this thing to it's full potential!

- Kenneth

• i was looking at another sim, msfsx was my sim of choice for a good 10 years started with FS98 back in 1997, then with the leaps in technology that added VR software to play FSX and the old 32bit system of fsx it was too buggy and lots of crashes, was looking at other sims such as xplane 10, P3D etc, lucky i stumbled upon AFS2 and haven't look back.

Edited once, last by clayton4115 (December 2, 2017 at 10:36 PM).

• I started with IPACS FS on my Android tablet and now have the PC version. Anyone else do that? I do hope to see more for the Android such as other Region specific versions. I know that tablets do not have enough muscle for a full install.

• Clayton4115.. You go back to FS98, and you are in Australia? Did you ever have the VIP Classic Wings CD's put out by PC Aviator for FS98, back in 1997-ish?

- Kenneth

Ken back then i was new to FSX and i was at awe in learning how to fly the big jets, there was / is something called VATSIM where i used to log in and fly exclusively, i only used to fly in the US of A because of the live ATC coverage and other live traffic, plus a few "cross the pond" events.

• I agree totally with the sentiment of the thread. I have flown for years with MSFS.

HeadTrackNoIr was a leap forward.

When I discovered TileProxy I never looked back to the autogen scenery. (Although I sure did miss the trees. It's hard to land when there is very little ground reference.)

I tried Flyinside but it crashed left right and centre so I was less than impressed.

My favorite flight in FSX was the ASG29 at LOWI. So when I saw the YouTube video of soaring at Innsbruk I was instantly sold.

FS2 has not disapointed me. First flight was jaw dropping amazing and I've enjoyed every flight since.

You see comments in the forum "what about plane x or Y". My advice to IPACS is to concentrate on the core functionality and exposing API's. Commercial partners and end users will build out the product around you.

What made MSFS a success despite some fundamental limitations was an army of talented users adding to the richness of the product.

i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz | ASUS Z170-A | 16Gb DDR4 | Samsung SSD 950 PRO NVME M.2 256GB | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on GP102-A GPU | Oculus CV1 | Windows 10

• I concur. Core functionality should be the main focus.

As a new user of Afs2 and someone who has flown just about every flight sim produced since 1983 (started with a Commodore-64), this one has impressed me the most!

I've only flown a few planes so far and the flight models seem spot-on. Hand flying feels like the real deal to me. The performance in VR is incredible!

ILS approaches in IMC in the Rift is "believable".

The P-38 is a thing of beauty! Although I've never flown one IRL, somehow this feels like how I'd expect it the handle.

Crosswind landings in the Lightning (in VR) are a blast!

Even with the current limitations, Afs2 will get the bulk of my limited flightsim time, I'm sure:).

Anyone figure out how to get goflight radios/MCP, etc working?

Redtail

KFRG, KTEB, KEWR, KLGA

~Straighten up and fly right~

DESKTOP: i7-7700k @5GHz (water cooled), Nvidia GTX 1080Ti FTW3, 32GB DDR4, 500GB SSD, Oculus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Home 64 bit,

TM HOTAS Warthog (large spring removed), Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals, YOKO yoke!

Laptop (gaming): Acer Predator Helios 500- Intel Core i7-8750H @4.1GHz, Nvidia GTX 1070, 32GB DDR4, 256GB SSD/1TB HDD.

Gametrix JetSeat FSE (Flight Sim Edition)-USB Vibrating pad. Nextlevel V3 Motion Platform / Sim cockpit.

Edited 2 times, last by Redtail (December 4, 2017 at 3:08 AM).

• When Aerofly FS2 first arrived, I felt there were a lot of pretty hasty negative reactions, based largely on the fact that it was different than the established sims, with its limited area, early development stage and lack of an extensive support ecosystem.

I wasn't sure if it would be given a "fair" chance to grow and show its potential (If any) and would simply be dismissed out of hand.

Orbx dipping its toe in the water was a big breakthrough and very encouraging, and Aerosoft is another notch in the belt towards general acknowledgement that the new sim on the block intends to be a real player and worth a thoughtful look.

(I remember Belgeode mentioning in one of his first Aerofly videos being startled at the quality of the sim he had only heard people dismissing for the last year.)

Now, I see all the people busily geoconverting, the enthusiasm on the forum and the growing fanbase, and it seems almost certain that the sim is destined to succesfully carve out a place for itself.

I'm glad.

I've felt for years that things were growing stale, even formulaic, in this genre of simulation, and that something new needed to be brought to the table.

Now we actually have a plethora of young sims jostling for their place in the sun, and the market actually feels alive again.

I'm looking forward with great anticipation to whatever comes next.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

Edited 2 times, last by HiFlyer (December 4, 2017 at 11:10 AM).

• Devons rig

• I am flying both sim now because I love ORBX New Zeeland and their new NZWR, been flying the MJ Q400 over there.

After over AF2 in colorado in the AF2 Q400.

For manual flying, the AF2 Q400 is up there with the MJ one... considering that your Q400 was a free update... it's out of this world to get such a quality plane from you guys.

At some point you will have to start selling new DLC, even for a small fee.

I would have gladly paid 15-20$ for Colorado.

But overall, the really big difference between those 2 flight in both sim was one was at 15-30 FPS... and the other one, I don't care because it's so fluid 8o

My rig was semi updated with some more memories for 64 bit sim and a new GTX 1060 6 gig. But my CPU is still my venerable 2600K @ 4.4ghz

Ben

BennyBoy. I5 8600K @ 4,3ghz, 16 ram, GTX 1060 6G @ UW @2560 X 1080. Sim: AF2 & P3D V4

• Orbx, Aerosoft (selling the DVD and a small German island scenery sometime soon), and who next I wonder?

KJKsimmer has a suspicion about Caranedo that hasn't been refuted. I just remember that around this time last year we got New York, and wow how good was that? It seems that IPACS sometimes hold back on a few things to help a new partner bring a product to market with extra bells and whistles to help them get a good commercial response. I suspect cold'n'dark is another thing (amongst other areas of cockpit functionality) which is 99.9% complete and IPACS is going to allow a 3rd party aircraft partner to be the one to present it to the world as part of a new aircraft.

Before Christmas?

• Phil,

Sorry to say the suspicion has shown itself to be unfounded. The chap was not with Carenado after all.

But this leaves a thought...

I have spent thousands of dollars over the years on addons for the MSFS platform. I have supported big names (Carenado, Alabeo, A2A, Lionheart, IRIS, Just Flight, etc) with those purchases. Now, I am spending more time with FS2, and by implication am spending ZERO dollars with these companies who do not yet build for this new platform. In short, they are losing my business by not coming out with support for Aerofly.

How many of my fellow forum members can identify with this situation?

Maybe it is time we started a writing campaign to these companies, maybe it is time we told them they are losing us. Maybe we need to actively begin encouraging them to build for FS2. If one person does it, it will be ignored. If thousands of us do it.... well.....

- Kenneth

• I don't think of it in that way Kenneth. It would take many hours of work = many hours of pay and technological investments for third-party developers to make content for AFS2, especially since it's a new engine and not the MSFS engine (like with Flight Sim World). I'm sure a number of them are increasingly aware of AFS2 and the endless possibilites and are seeing its attraction. Orbx are just ahead of the game, taking initiative and choosing to invest $$$ into it. They're in it for the long-term and for the greater vision, as are IPACS. With XP11 and FSW as well a number of developers have expressed being open to all platforms.

- Ashley

P3D v4 / AFS2 / XP11 | Intel i7-4790K oc'ed @ 4.6GHz | 16GB RAM | 8GB Nvidia GTX1070 | Windows 10 64-bit | Oculus Rift

• Today I invited my father-in-law over for his intro to the world of VR. First I flew a couple of patterns at Meigs in the Baron, while he observed on the monitor. Using the awesome Voice Attack program to operate lights, flaps, gear, etc. is a huge asset!

Now after a short demo to show him the beauty of Orbx Meigs, I wanted his first flight to take place at Innsbruck so he could see the incredible beauty and detailed mountains and landscape. First I made a short flight in the P-38.

Then, I suggested he start in the air in a glider, because I knew he'd struggle with my HOTAS at first. Also knew he'd struggle with the rudder pedals, but he wanted to try the Cessna from the runway.

So after setting things up, I prepared him not to expect the clarity that he was used to seeing on the monitor. That said, when he put on the Rift, he was blown away. Now he was sitting "inside" the cockpit like he has with me on several occasions IRL.

After a few unsuccessful attempts at taking off, I suggested he let me place him a few thousand feet above the airport.^^

He flew around in awe for several minutes, then I asked if he'd like to see Manhattan. Placed him north of Central Park. He flew around and immediately noticed how real it looks! This is the flight I took him on a couple of years ago, with his lady friend in the back seat taking plenty of pictures.

This time, he was doing the flying (in VR).

No ATC, traffic or airspace regulations to worry about, lol. He had a ball. Stayed longer than I expected him to and was really impressed with the current state of flightsims and PC technology. He has FSX and a joystick at home and uses it occasionally.

Glad I was able to show him this combination for his intro to VR. Thanks IPACS and ORBX!

Redtail

KFRG, KTEB, KEWR, KLGA

~Straighten up and fly right~

DESKTOP: i7-7700k @5GHz (water cooled), Nvidia GTX 1080Ti FTW3, 32GB DDR4, 500GB SSD, Oculus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Home 64 bit,

TM HOTAS Warthog (large spring removed), Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals, YOKO yoke!

Laptop (gaming): Acer Predator Helios 500- Intel Core i7-8750H @4.1GHz, Nvidia GTX 1070, 32GB DDR4, 256GB SSD/1TB HDD.

Gametrix JetSeat FSE (Flight Sim Edition)-USB Vibrating pad. Nextlevel V3 Motion Platform / Sim cockpit.