• First of all thanks for the great Q400 tutorial, so helpfull for a beginner like me.

So i try yesterday for the first time to really learn to fly with the Q400 (and it's great :P). But have a problem with the VNAV.

I try in different flight (and of course in the tuto flight) and it's like VNAV PATH is never engage, the plane in autopilot never begin descent (need to do it manually, it's fun too but not what i want actually ^^)

Seems i follow the tuto (when i'm cruise altitude, FMS1 ok, ALT to 3000, click ALT SELL, click VNAV, ALT SELL VNAV white on the PFD) but never begin descent when reach TOD (and after too). What i'm doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

• First of all thanks for the great Q400 tutorial, so helpfull for a beginner like me.

So i try yesterday for the first time to really learn to fly with the Q400 (and it's great :P). But have a problem with the VNAV.

I try in different flight (and of course in the tuto flight) and it's like VNAV PATH is never engage, the plane in autopilot never begin descent (need to do it manually, it's fun too but not what i want actually ^^)

Seems i follow the tuto (when i'm cruise altitude, FMS1 ok, ALT to 3000, click ALT SELL, click VNAV, ALT SELL VNAV white on the PFD) but never begin descent when reach TOD (and after too). What i'm doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

To you relief, I will tell you that the VNAV function is almost never used by real pilots of this aircraft. They mainly use the VS function, that also allows them to better follow the ATC indications during the descent.

Cheers, Ed

• Hi,

hmmm... I just tested it again in the steam version but I couldn't find any issues in the q400 related to the TOD. It always descended for me, so I'm not quite sure if I can reproduce this issue.

Is the HSI SEL arrow pointing to the left side?

Are you seeing the magenta bar (labeled "v" right beside the attitude indicator)?

• To you relief, I will tell you that the VNAV function is almost never used by real pilots of this aircraft. They mainly use the VS function, that also allows them to better follow the ATC indications during the descent.

Cheers, Ed

Thanks for your answer, in another forum they tell me the same so i use actually the vs function for descent.

Hi,

hmmm... I just tested it again in the steam version but I couldn't find any issues in the q400 related to the TOD. It always descended for me, so I'm not quite sure if I can reproduce this issue.

Is the HSI SEL arrow pointing to the left side?

Are you seeing the magenta bar (labeled "v" right beside the attitude indicator)?

Ok just try another time and works now. Is there a distance to use the VNAV? Seems i need to use it just before to reach the TOD (if i use VNAV too early seems not work) And thanks for your help.

Edited once, last by Raspou (December 13, 2017 at 4:46 PM).

• Or possibly older equipment... Was your Q400 contact pilot flying the Q400 NextGen or an earlier variant?

Are you modeling the FMS UNS-1E, UNS-1Ew FMS, or something older?

We use coupled VNAV (NextGen Q400's) on hundreds of flights every day. It is the norm. :)

• According to your sop, in that particular case.

Cheers, Ed

Exactly. We use coupled VNAV (NextGen Q400's) on hundreds of flights every day. It is the norm for our Q400 operation. VNAV descents. It would be unusual for us to not to use this function, given that our Q400 fleet is fully capable of this.

Both of the following statements are true (when qualified...)

"The VNAV function is almost never used by real pilots of this aircraft." (depending on equipment, certification, training and SOP's)

"In R/L VNAV is used for most descents." (depending on equipment, certification, training and SOP's)

• "In R/L VNAV is used for most descents." (depending on equipment, certification, training and SOP's)

How your operator do when changes in altitude according to ATC instructions during descent and approach are required?. Do they use different VNAV profiles during the descent, or do they change to VS mode from a certain altitude value?.

Cheers, Ed

• Or possibly older equipment... Was your Q400 contact pilot flying the Q400 NextGen or an earlier variant?

Are you modeling the FMS UNS-1E, UNS-1Ew FMS, or something older?

We use coupled VNAV (NextGen Q400's) on hundreds of flights every day. It is the norm. :)

I think he is flying Next Gen Q400s as well as older ones.

Right now the FMS in the Q400 is generic, there are no specific features modeled yet where this would make a difference.