Starting a flight with your aeroplane on the ground (!)

• I've created a fair bit of my own scenery now and, although I haven't created any airports, most of the real life airports are clearly visible when I select "Location" because the runways stand out from the surrounding pattern of scenery. My question is this: is it possible to place my aeroplane at ground level on one of these airports or, indeed, at any location on the map? Mostly, when I try to do it, the lowest I can get is a few hundred feet above the ground. There seems to be some kind of lower limit on the altitude slider. The only time it works is if I am already at ground level in another location.

• OK thanks Jeff. I guess what confused me was that it is sometimes possible to place my aeroplane on the ground - and sometimes not.

You can land somewhere close by and taxi to the spot you wish to take off from. If you quit AF2 while on the ground, you will still be there when you start up again. A bit of a workaround without an identified airport.

You only need the ID added with the proper lonlat and the runway coords in order to land and takeoff - you do not need a prepared and smooth runway. This is actually very easy to accomplish. Post an airport location and identifier and I will build you what you need and post it here.

Regards,

Ray

• Hi Ray Jetjockey10

Very kind of you to offer to do that .....

It's Shoreham EGKA in the UK.

I will learn to do it myself in due course - next on my list! I've been trying to extend my scenery area so that I have a reasonable UK area to fly in, and that's been occupying me lately. Airports and cultivation will follow shortly!

Ian

• Hi Ray Jetjockey10

Very kind of you to offer to do that .....

It's Shoreham EGKA in the UK.

I will learn to do it myself in due course - next on my list! I've been trying to extend my scenery area so that I have a reasonable UK area to fly in, and that's been occupying me lately. Airports and cultivation will follow shortly!

Ian

Hello Ian,

I prepared a simple tsc file for Shoreham so you could start and end flights there. I needed to make some FSET scenery to see what was actually there. I have an Orbx version of the airport for FSX/P3d and it looks very similar to the Google version.

Not satisfied with a crude bumpy runway, I am putting the finishing touches on the new Shoreham by the Sea. I am a jet pilot in the real world, so I tend to only build airports that can handle our Learjet 45. EGKA retains the 7/25 runway but now it is paved and about twice as long as the grass strip at 3,702 x 150 feet. The North/South runway shows off the 'curved runway' feature of AF2 in a very convincing way. This will handle anything in the Aerofly FS2 inventory with 5,550 x 150 feet with a 200 foot overrun. The Old Shoreham road had to sacrifice a few yards for the new runway and will inconvenience a few travelers that don't care anything about flying machines.

I added two parking spots. One near the old terminal area and one away from the water and closer to runway 12. I also have a few static aircraft scattered about.

I have some cleanup to do with the water color and the big white boxes. The cultivation for the area turned out great - much better than most areas I have seen recently.

You can download the tsc file, (egka_shoreham.tsc.txt be sure to erase the txt and period at the end of both files) then add a folder with the tsc file and the runway.tmb file inside it to your "places" folder, reboot and you should see Shoreham with the original dual runways on the Nav screen. You can start and end flights using this simple feature but the real fun will be flying in and around the new Shoreham. All approaches are active will full lights and 24 hour operations.

You need to figure out how to get your email address to me so I can send you a link to the good stuff. You will need to do your own scenery downloads and configurations. I have modified the airport area and I can give you a copy to add to your scenery. Ask the Moderator for help with this.

Regards,

Ray

Enjoy

• Jetjockey10

Hi again Ray

Wow - many thanks for doing that!

I will try out what you have created so far - and send you my email address by some method. This is really much appreciated - above and beyond the call of duty!

LATER EDIT: Just to let you know the runway works perfectly. I've sent you a message with my email address.

Ian

Edited once, last by Ian C (December 16, 2017 at 9:35 PM).

• Thanks. This is a nice area. I am downloading the Southhampton area now. I will add that airport next. I have it in the Orbx version of FSX/P3D. Meanwhile I worked on the water color for the Stoneham area.

Regards,

Ray