• About a month ago I saw the video of FlightFactor new A320, and among the overall quality of the plane, many people including myself were amazed with how good the rain effects looked like. I hope the awesome artist team of IPACS can create something like that once we have rain effects. Judging by the quality of the cockpits and planes, I don't have any doubts they will beat it. :saint:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I would love to see rain effects in the sim but I find it falls into a similar branch like the clouds. People are genuinely hyped about any cloud they see even though it might not look that realistic. Rain effects are similar in that regard that people freak out as soon as a raindrop moves across the wind screen. But the overall physics behind the drops may not actually be correct which I find is very disturbing.

The rain drops in this video are good but I think one could do even better. The speed of the drops rolling back shouldn't really depend on how much rain there is. Once the wind screen is wet all drops should fly aft even when the rain intensity decreases. In the video you sort of see the drops slowing down as the rain is less. And the small droplets left over would evaporate quite quickly due to the 220kt wind they are exposed to. So there is room for improvement but overall the effect is looking quite good.

In the video, I like how the wiper actually works and how the drops reflect the wiper

• wow Jan you are setting the bar high when raindrops finally hit the AFS2 aircraft windscreens :P

I sometimes wonder about that..... :/

It's great to have high standards, but when I read some of this, that old saying about "The perfect is the enemy of the good" comes to mind.

Which is to say (according to wikipedia) one might never complete a task, if one has decided not to stop until it is perfect: completing the project well is made impossible by striving to complete it perfectly. Closely related is the Nirvana fallacy, in which people never even begin an important task because they feel reaching perfection is too hard.

I myself would happily settle for "good enough" for many things in Aerofly, rather than possibly waiting forever for "Perfect" 8o

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Well I do love high quality, that is true :D And I'm almost as fast programming the "perfection" as programming the "good enough". So I usually do the extra 10 to 20% effort to be able to say: I probably will never need to touch this again. So saying that if you aim for high quality things will "never" be finished is actually not true. I find the "perfect" in programming often doesn't require that much more work. But that is just for my aircraft systems, shader stuff gets a lot more complicated I think.

In regards to the rain drops in the video: I don't think it requires a lot of additional effort to keep the drop velocity high when the rain intensity decreases. But I don't know how they create this effect so I could be totally wrong here.

• Oh that will be the day when AFS2 has weather, especially real life weather. Dynamic weather is half the fun flying. Here's to dreaming REX will invest in AFS2 to speed-up that dream or Jan becomes a human robot and increases coding speed by x10. :P No pressure. :thumbup:

- Ashley

P3D v4 / AFS2 / XP11 | Intel i7-4790K oc'ed @ 4.6GHz | 16GB RAM | 8GB Nvidia GTX1070 | Windows 10 64-bit | Oculus Rift