Hey VR pilots - Grand Canyon for Thrills

• Been flying from the Grand Canyon to Las Vegas in the Bücker but was having a blast around the canyon flying over the high ground, chopping throttle, and diving over the canyon edge and down to the Colorado River flying close to the cliff and curving through the cuts. In VR it’s a stomach lifting trip and the Grand Canyon is some stunning scenery with lots of depth. Just some very gorgeous scenery in America's southwest.

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, 2 dof Motion, Valve Index

• Indeed! The Grand Canyon is stunning in VR. It was the first thing I did when I bought AFS2 a few weeks ago. I wanted to see how close it was to the real thing and I was blown away. Last year, my wife, son and I took a vacation to Arizona and I told her that we couldn't go back home without a trip to the Canyon. I said, an aerial view would be a once in a lifetime experience. One that we would never forget.

Hesitantly, she agreed to a helicopter flight. So we took a 40 minute tour from Grand Canyon Airport (KGCN), in an EcoStar EC130 (Eurocopter/Airbus).

From the south rim over to the north rim, with spectacular views all around! We were absolutely in awe of the beauty and magnificence of this natural wonder.

I would love to do it all over again, but until then I'll just continue to enjoy AFS2.:)

Side note:

Looking from the outside, I had no idea how roomy the EC130 was. There are three passenger seats up front and four in the back! I was sitting behind our pilot. She was great BTW.

• The real life pictures also point out something though: I really wish the AF orthos of the area had fewer jet-black shadow areas baked in.......

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• The real life pictures also point out something though: I really wish the AF orthos of the area had fewer jet-black shadow areas baked in.......

I'll have to take a look at what you're referencing next time I run the sim, but there are quite a few shadow areas IRL. A few can be seen in my other photos.

I was busy snapping pictures and operating my camcorder at the same time, lol.

This was around 3pm or so local time, if I remember correctly.

Images

Redtail

KFRG, KTEB, KEWR, KLGA

~Straighten up and fly right~

DESKTOP: i7-7700k @5GHz (water cooled), Nvidia GTX 1080Ti FTW3, 32GB DDR4, 500GB SSD, Oculus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Home 64 bit,

TM HOTAS Warthog (large spring removed), Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals, YOKO yoke!

Laptop (gaming): Acer Predator Helios 500- Intel Core i7-8750H @4.1GHz, Nvidia GTX 1070, 32GB DDR4, 256GB SSD/1TB HDD.

Gametrix JetSeat FSE (Flight Sim Edition)-USB Vibrating pad. Nextlevel V3 Motion Platform / Sim cockpit.