Let's make an Aircraft

• Didn't know that the cockpit was this advanced, lol :D

Are those all digital instruments or are the round dials normal "steam" gauges?

Even the screen shouldn't be an issue I think, I think I can do this :D I may not be able to to the 3D view of the aircraft with the terrain right now but at least a moving map with an overlay should be possible. So the IAS on the left, altitude on the right and compass on the bottom shouldn't be a problem. And I think we can add those graphics into the core aerofly, so that shouldn't be a problem :D

For now you can just leave it out, just texture it with some static content.

Edit: If you watch the instruments in this video, I think I can do most of the digital once. All 2D stuff is easy to do.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Code

Hey Jay,

I suggest you send an email to Jim Richmond at Cubcrafters and tell him about your project. I bet he will jump on it and feed you all the details and data you need. Jim is the founder of the Carbon Cub and although he still carries the title of Chairman, I think he has a lot of free time and other interests.

Certainly worth a shot. :)

Regards,

Ray

• UEWeeee. I need to go take an additional blood pressure pill. I just watched that short video, what at thrill an AF2 Carbon Cub would be, and just to thought of adding the big tires and floats down the road is super exciting.

I had the volume turned up and startup sounded so real.

Regards,

Ray

• UEWeeee. I need to go take an additional blood pressure pill. I just watched that short video, what at thrill an AF2 Carbon Cub would be, and just to thought of adding the big tires and floats down the road is super exciting.

I had the volume turned up and startup sounded so real.

Regards,

Ray

You're pretty hyped about that carbon cub idea, I can tell that much. Ray, maybe you can help us find good videos about these avionics, maybe there are some youtubers that uploaded some sort of "walk through" of it's menus and options. These avionics are probably used in other aircraft, too. The more HD pictures or videos I have for these instruments the easier it gets to model them. What we are also looking for are videos where we can extract performance data from. Level flight, now much RPM, what fuel consumption, these kind of stats. Or things like: how much elevator deflection is there on the stick, what is the stick position on approach, during takeoff, etc. That way we get a good understanding of the trim.

• You're pretty hyped about that carbon cub idea, I can tell that much. I think the standard avionics could be the most common ones so we may find a lot more resources for it. Ray, maybe you can help us find good videos about these avionics, maybe there are some youtubers that uploaded some sort of "walk through" of it's menus and options. These avionics are probably used in other aircraft, too. The more HD pictures or videos I have for these instruments the easier it gets to model them. What we are also looking for are videos where we can extract performance data from. Level flight, now much RPM, what fuel consumption, these kind of stats. Or things like: how much elevator deflection is there on the stick, what is the stick position on approach, during takeoff, etc. That way we get a good understanding of the trim.

There are about a half dozen different models and 3 or 4 panels for each. Maybe 3 engine choices, so fairly early on maybe Jay/Jan can nail down the initial specs.

ie. CC SS 180hp WVFR panel.

I will start looking around for good videos where the pilot is telling us what he is doing and we can see the actions/reactions on the video.

This is a very popular LSA airplane in the USA and demo rides are easy to get if you have a pilots license and good credit. :P

Regards,

Ray

• Super Cub is awesome!!! Any chance for a Schweitzer 2-33 glider after this? Then when IPACS get the tow plane feature done, we can use the Super Cub as the tow plane. I have been towed by a Super Cub a couple of times. Slower tow than the Pawnee though.

Andrew

• great !!! Absolutely great project !!! We miss a good supoercub - or better - Carbon Cub... A perfect miox of classic /revisited plane ;)

And believe me : You should try to land on some swiss glaciers places : Petersgrat, or Plaine Morte.... Done that several times with the 172 (not ideal - a cub would be far better workhorse), it is challenging, require fine pilot skills, but it is possible ;-), and open a lot of possibilities in the swiss Alps .

Good work Jay !!!! Cherrioooohhh !!!

• Oh actually I just saw the standard version doesn't include any nice center display... so we should definetly do something cooler :D

The executive glass touch version is probably pretty fancy but the actual touch interaction will have to wait a bit. Same with that ipad installation.

But I like the idea of adding an autopilot and having and HSI in such an aircraft LOL maybe a bit overkill. So world VFR version is is I think. Maybe we could install the small transponder on the right and add the autopilot below the garmin display. I'm sure we will find a good compromise

• Hey boys

I didn't find any good blueprints for Carbon Cub though but I think it's nearly identical to PA18 super cub isn't it? (apart from engine cover

Regards Jay

Hello Jay,

Very common thoughts due to the close visual, but NO, not even close to an accurate statement. The Carbon Cub is 300 pounds lighter and has 50% fewer parts, than a similarly equipped Super Cub. I read someplace that the two share zero common parts - not one.

Regards,

Ray

• Looks like we found the same image..... :)

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/1444/J2szcw.jpg

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Hi guys, just wanted to give this project a little push :)

How are we looking in terms of 3D model? If you can make the rough wing shape and fuselage I could already make this bird fly and set up the basic tmd file. We can then improve on the model over time.

Hi Jan

I haven't had much time to make good progress and the model is currently no. 2 on my list.

I'm gonna get back to it hopefully next week. As soon as I have basic model finished, I'll send it over to you.

Jay

Over and Out

Jay