• Hi Developers

Trying to do fencing for my airport, I can get them to show no problem but as they are a single plane they only show from the side where the normal is. I tried making the material 2 sided but no change.

Will I need to copy and mirror the planes or is there another way.

On a side note, I see place names all the time in the views, I have obviously hit some key combination to display them so how do I hide them

Thanks

Steve

PS, When i have completed EGGP where can I upload to, I'm afraid its getting a little large, nearly 70MB so far.....:rolleyes:

• For the fencing, if you are using a plane you will only get one sided material. Try to make it with mesh and select double-sided material. You will then have the ability to texture map both sides.

For the names; you enabled LANDMARKS. Go into general settings and turn them off (hide)

If you are making a complete airport (without FSET imagery) then you can upload it to us and we will place it in the downloads section after review of it.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Hi Jeff

Still no luck with fences or windows for that matter, still only one sided. Some screenies of disappearing bits of roof when viewed through a material that has an alpha channel at a slightly different angle, even though the alpha doesn't cover the roof (see bit maps). Here's what i do

Object is editable poly, UV mapped, stack collapsed or not (tried both)

Texture is applied using the bitmaps I have enclosed

(its a color map with an alpha channel) applied to the diffuse channel only

2 sided is checked.

Also can you explain how to do 'Alpha-to-coverage' as its mentioned in the sdk notes but no method described

I noticed on the DR400 you use a 2 sided mesh for canopies, is this because of the transparency problem I am experiencing, also the 2 sided option is not selected in that material.

Thanks again for your help and support

Steve

• The alpha only covers the windows and holes in the fencing. The roof of the walkway, fence posts and wire mesh are masked out in the alpha so shouldn't have any effect. The fences are correct on the side of the polygon normal but refuse to show 2 sided. The walkway roof becomes transparent at certain angles.

How are trees made in FS2, I assume using an alpha map etc

Alpha to coverage ? What is it ?

Thanks

Steve

• Hi Steve,

I did fencing but actually modelled the fencing and didn't use Alpha.

The trees are billboards and do use alpha but they also disappear when looking at them from certain areas.

Also, in my Key West Airport I did the same technique using alpha texturing on a plain. That as well disappears when looking at it from the back side, however in this instance the back side is the actual building so you can get away with using the alpha technique.

Using alpha for a fence that you can see on both sides does exactly what you are seeing, that's why I opted to just make an actual fence.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Hi Jeff

Thanks again for the info. I must have miles of fencing so making them is pretty much a no no. I will clone the ones needed and flip the normals to cheat my way out of it

Will also remap the walkway roof to a texture that doesnt have an alpha... the joys of modeling :rolleyes:

Steve