• My new computer arrived yesterday. She's a real beauty. 8700k running at 5.0 GHz (for now. I will see what I can wring out of the CPU.) 1080ti overclocked (same card I had, I just ported it over). 32 GB of RAM. Makes coffee and vacuums the floors (I wish).

Aerofly FS 2 runs wonderfully in VR, although I still get the graphics anomalies in urban areas. Overall I am very happy.

The real question I have is, should I even bother installing P3d v4 and FSW on this machine? I hardly ever fly them anymore. 2018 looks like the year that FS 2 will be able to replace them for almost all purposes.

Decisions, decisions.

• The whole world coverage is still a long way away which is why I have FSX on my PC as well. 2018 gives us PNW from Orbx and some more airports. Slightly confusing as we did not need base Orbx California region for Monterey so why do we need PNW? I guess maybe it is because there is no AFS2 coverage?

Missed the bit about coffee and vacuuming. Very funny. I guess if your new PC was a wireless one it could trundle about the place but your wifi might get a bit dodgy when it went into the bathrooms.

Edited once, last by AOB (December 20, 2017 at 11:52 PM).

• Beginning to price out my new system now. So, OLDAR, please keep us appraised of how your new rig performs. Did you end up having it custom-made or buying it "off the shelf"?

- Kenneth

I had it custom built by Digital Storm. I used to assemble my own from components, but I stopped doing that when liquid cooling came in. It intimidates me lol.

I can understand you have to make a decision about P3Dv4, but why do you have to even consider FSW?.

Cheers, Ed

Well for one thing they gave it to me for free for having bought Flight School, so I feel like I owe them a little loyalty. I also think they are headed in a decent direction, although they won't ever reach the level of graphics quality we already have. Plus I like Aimee.

• I had it custom built by Digital Storm. I used to assemble my own from components, but I stopped doing that when liquid cooling came in. It intimidates me lol.

Well for one thing they gave it to me for free for having bought Flight School, so I feel like I owe them a little loyalty. I also think they are headed in a decent direction, although they won't ever reach the level of graphics quality we already have. Plus I like Aimee.

Ok, good point.

My initial reaction was because FSW is in development phase (as AFS2 is too), so you probably don't want to have two simulators installed in your computer that share the same status. Additionally, if you look at today's ORBX Road Map for 2018, you'll notice ORBX is not having big plans for FSW at least for 2018.

Cheers, Ed

• I had it custom built by Digital Storm. I used to assemble my own from components, but I stopped doing that when liquid cooling came in. It intimidates me lol.

I still enjoy building them. Not sure how much I saved, but I do it for the joy of it.

I was intimidated by liquid cooling as well, but it's nothing to worry about nowadays with the "closed loop", all-in-one systems offered by companies like Corsair, Thermaltake, etc.

I built my new rig about six months ago for X-plane 11 and DCS World.

i7-7700k (have it overclocked to 5GHz), Thermaltake 3.0 Riing cpu liquid cooler, 32gb DDR4, GTX 1080ti. Used the HDD, SSD and power supply from my old rig.

Picked up the CV1 during the summer sale.

Although I have P3D v3, I never installed it on this machine and I'm so glad I didn't bite v4. Also, after trying the FlyInside demo for XP, I wasn't happy at all. Hopefully their native VR support will be better, but for me, it's DCS and FS2 all the way. I'm looking forward to everything ORBX and others produce for it. I'll still use what I like in XP (Bell 407, and a few other addons) on my 2D monitor occasionally, but at this point I doubt I'll be buying anything else for it.

Flight school/FSW, nah :)

Redtail

KFRG, KTEB, KEWR, KLGA

~Straighten up and fly right~

DESKTOP: i7-7700k @5GHz (water cooled), Nvidia GTX 1080Ti FTW3, 32GB DDR4, 500GB SSD, Oculus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Home 64 bit,

TM HOTAS Warthog (large spring removed), Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals, YOKO yoke!

Laptop (gaming): Acer Predator Helios 500- Intel Core i7-8750H @4.1GHz, Nvidia GTX 1070, 32GB DDR4, 256GB SSD/1TB HDD.

Gametrix JetSeat FSE (Flight Sim Edition)-USB Vibrating pad. Nextlevel V3 Motion Platform / Sim cockpit.

• One thing that I found super-cool about the new machine was that it had "plug and play" hard drive connectors on the motherboard. No messing with cables, just slide your drives in on a tray and they connect (more or less). It took me five minutes to figure it out! I kept looking for the cables.

As far as installing P3D goes, if Aerofly had Norway I wouldn't even consider it, but I love flying around Norway lol.

Edited once, last by Oldar (December 21, 2017 at 1:48 PM).