XP11 VR controls are great, but...

• It sounds like the only solution that everybody will be happy with is a configurable approach where the pilot can specify

- both hands in VR

- left hand in VR and right hand IRL

- right hand in VR and left hand IRL

- both hands IRL (for those folks that just can't get use to those grey floaty hands)

cheers

Stu

i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz | ASUS Z170-A | 16Gb DDR4 | Samsung SSD 950 PRO NVME M.2 256GB | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on GP102-A GPU | Oculus CV1 | Windows 10

• I think for most really VR users ( and not those who "play" 5 min and its ok a day ) ... it is no option to fly 20
    minutes with the arms in the air and hold also the ( oculus rift ) controllers.

You know the challenge of a liter beer in one hand ... 1 minute ...2 ... 3 ?

So you have no chance to hold it really 1 min in EXACT same place free in the air. ( and when you change position a little bit, you fly loop with your Extra :) )

You NEED a Stick/ Yoke and for Heli Pitch as >real< hardware.

And when you hold left throttle ( for Extra, F18 etc ) or Pitch ( Helis ) or flaps ( Gliders ) and right your Stick , Yoke or Throttle ( Big Jets) , you have no (free) hand for a VR-Controller, so the gloves, or a marker LED (what ever) on your right Hand Finger ( a ringor something) ...will be the best you can do, right ?

mfg, Jens ... Flight-Sim.org

Mein Home-Cockpit ... My Simulator Hardware

MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4 --- SI INTEL Core i7-13700F 2.1GHz LGA1700 Tray --- Palit RTX4070 JetStream 12GB DDR6 --- 16GB DDR4 PC4400 --- SSD Patriot 1TB M.2 Viper VP4300 --- Pimax Crystal

Alles fliegt irgendwie,
    fragt sich nur wielange

• I think for most really VR users ( and not those who "play" 5 min and its ok a day ) ... it is no option to fly 20
    minutes with the arms in the air and hold also the ( oculus rift ) controllers.

You know the challenge of a liter beer in one hand ... 1 minute ...2 ... 3 ?

So you have no chance to hold it really 1 min in EXACT same place free in the air. ( and when you change position a little bit, you fly loop with your Extra :) )

You NEED a Stick/ Yoke and for Heli Pitch as >real< hardware.

And when you hold left throttle ( for Extra, F18 etc ) or Pitch ( Helis ) or flaps ( Gliders ) and right your Stick , Yoke or Throttle ( Big Jets) , you have no (free) hand for a VR-Controller, so the gloves, or a marker LED (what ever) on your right Hand Finger ( a ringor something) ...will be the best you can do, right ?

There will be no need to hold your hand in the air because we are assigning the analog sticks of the Oculus Touch controllers for control of aileron, pitch, elevation, and even yaw. It will be similar to how X-Plane VR does it but not exact. So, you will be able to control the yoke using either hand (or both), then transition to analog control with your arms at rest on your lap.

In testing early builds of this I can assure you that using Touch controllers will be a very natural overall feeling.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• There will be no need to hold your hand in the air because we are assigning the analog sticks of the Oculus Touch controllers for control of aileron, pitch, elevation, and even yaw. It will be similar to how X-Plane VR does it but not exact. So, you will be able to control the yoke using either hand (or both), then transition to analog control with your arms at rest on your lap.

In testing early builds of this I can assure you that using Touch controllers will be a very natural overall feeling.

This sounds great. Bring it on.

I need to jump over to Steam for a little while and write "an honest and glowing review of Aerofly FS2" but when I finish with that I am going to unbox my VR and start getting my house ready for the magic fingers. :P

Regards,

Ray

• Hi,

I have been using P3D VR for a day or two and I think the system they use is quite innovative. There is a faint white dot centred on your view, faint enough not to affect your view but bright enough to identify. When you look at a button or knob you can use the button or wheel of your mouse to activate said control. Not where we want to be but it seems to work really well....8)8)8)

• Yes, but its not like in real, i have to look with my head where i want to switch,

nice is : the system check where your finger is .... in the room, like the video from new flyinside :)

mfg, Jens ... Flight-Sim.org

Mein Home-Cockpit ... My Simulator Hardware

MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4 --- SI INTEL Core i7-13700F 2.1GHz LGA1700 Tray --- Palit RTX4070 JetStream 12GB DDR6 --- 16GB DDR4 PC4400 --- SSD Patriot 1TB M.2 Viper VP4300 --- Pimax Crystal

Alles fliegt irgendwie,
    fragt sich nur wielange

• Hi,

I have been using P3D VR for a day or two and I think the system they use is quite innovative. There is a faint white dot centred on your view, faint enough not to affect your view but bright enough to identify. When you look at a button or knob you can use the button or wheel of your mouse to activate said control. Not where we want to be but it seems to work really well....8)8)8)

Ours will be much , much better if I should say so myself :)

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• I find that my physical yoke gets in the way of using the controllers to manipulate the virtual buttons and dials in XPlane VR. I try to use my left hand on the real world yoke and use my right hand holding the controller to work the virtual radios, etc, but my controller frequently is prevented from reaching far enough forward to "contact" the dashboard by the real yoke being in the way.

• I find that my physical yoke gets in the way of using the controllers to manipulate the virtual buttons and dials in XPlane VR. I try to use my left hand on the real world yoke and use my right hand holding the controller to work the virtual radios, etc, but my controller frequently is prevented from reaching far enough forward to "contact" the dashboard by the real yoke being in the way.

Same here.

My solution is to move my invisible 'virtual body' closer to the panel, manipulate switches, knobs, etc, then readjust my position back. I have one of my hat switches mapped to the "move" commands (forward, backward, left and right), not VR zoom. Works well.

I'm in the "physical yoke/stick" group as well, using my touch controllers for radios, switches, doors, etc. I have my yoke mounted to the desk and my Warthog stick & throttle mounted to my seat. I'd never attempt helo flying without my Warthog:)

It's great that we will have the choice of what we prefer to use.

Redtail

KFRG, KTEB, KEWR, KLGA

~Straighten up and fly right~

DESKTOP: i7-7700k @5GHz (water cooled), Nvidia GTX 1080Ti FTW3, 32GB DDR4, 500GB SSD, Oculus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Home 64 bit,

TM HOTAS Warthog (large spring removed), Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals, YOKO yoke!

Laptop (gaming): Acer Predator Helios 500- Intel Core i7-8750H @4.1GHz, Nvidia GTX 1070, 32GB DDR4, 256GB SSD/1TB HDD.

Gametrix JetSeat FSE (Flight Sim Edition)-USB Vibrating pad. Nextlevel V3 Motion Platform / Sim cockpit.

Edited 2 times, last by Redtail (January 17, 2018 at 11:58 PM).

• Same here.

My solution is to move my invisible 'virtual body' closer to the panel, manipulate switches, knobs, etc, then readjust my position back. I have one of my hat switches mapped to the "move" commands (forward, backward, left and right), not VR zoom. Works well.

I'm in the "physical yoke/stick" group as well, using my controllers for radios, switches, doors, etc. I have my yoke mounted to the desk and my Warthog stick & throttle mounted to my seat. I'd never attempt helo flying without my Warthog:)

It's great that we will have the choice of what we prefer to use.

Is there a set of instructions on how to do that? I haven't seen a tutorial on button mapping for the controllers.

• Is there a set of instructions on how to do that? I haven't seen a tutorial on button mapping for the controllers.

See what you've done! You gave me an excuse to break away from the wife and TV (which I really wasn't watching), go upstairs into the cave and fire up the sim...LOL.

I couldn't remember off hand, but this is how it's done.

While in the cockpit of any aircraft, go into the 'settings' view (top right corner of screen near the question mark icon) and click on Joystick. In the 'Device' dropdown box, chose your stick or yoke.

Next, move the hat switch you'd like to use UP, and over to the right of the screen you will see it highlight. Next, click the dropdown box next to the highlighted directional indicator and chose a command such as "Move view forward".

Do that for each direction of the hat switch and when finished, click DONE in the lower right corner and that's it.

edit: I forgot two more commands that I have mapped to another hat switch. "Move view up" and "Move view down" to adjust my seat height. Works great!

Redtail

KFRG, KTEB, KEWR, KLGA

~Straighten up and fly right~

DESKTOP: i7-7700k @5GHz (water cooled), Nvidia GTX 1080Ti FTW3, 32GB DDR4, 500GB SSD, Oculus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Home 64 bit,

TM HOTAS Warthog (large spring removed), Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals, YOKO yoke!

Laptop (gaming): Acer Predator Helios 500- Intel Core i7-8750H @4.1GHz, Nvidia GTX 1070, 32GB DDR4, 256GB SSD/1TB HDD.

Gametrix JetSeat FSE (Flight Sim Edition)-USB Vibrating pad. Nextlevel V3 Motion Platform / Sim cockpit.

Edited once, last by Redtail (January 18, 2018 at 12:40 AM).

• Thank you sir. I will give it a try in the morning.