Questions about FSET images

• 1. Is there typically any difference between the options in the FSET menu (Virtual Earth, Google Earth, etc) in terms of image quality?

2. Can I assume that, where the Google Earth images are good on the normal desktop Google Earth, they will be good on FSET? i.e. Is there any quck way of finding out without geoconverting a small area at level 15 - which takes some time?

EDIT: Actually it's just occurred to me that I could simply create and compare BMPs using both GE and VE for a test area (say 0.01 x 0.01 degrees) somewhere in the middle of the area I wanted to geoconvert. It would take a bit of extra time but it might be worth it. However, if anybody has any thoughts or experience I'd still be interested.

Edited 3 times, last by Ian C (December 29, 2017 at 2:20 PM).

• Yes, look at the BMP that is generated and maybe consider improving the color with Irfanview or GIMP or equivalent before running GeoConvert. If you are using an image for an airport, you can fix up some issues like aircraft on the images using the clone feature to get a similar area with the correct color but without the aircraft - or maybe fix up an area that has clouds on it.

Dave W.

• Yes, look at the BMP that is generated and maybe consider improving the color with Irfanview or GIMP or equivalent before running GeoConvert. If you are using an image for an airport, you can fix up some issues like aircraft on the images using the clone feature to get a similar area with the correct color but without the aircraft - or maybe fix up an area that has clouds on it.

Dave W

Yes thanks. Improving the colour was probably going to be my next question to the forum. I guess I've been more concerned with poor resolution up until recently - but over the last few days I've seen too many images with an ugly brownish cast. I've tended only to look at the BMPs when I know there's coastline involved, but I ought to get into the habit of inspecting them every time - and doing a BMP comparison test first, before I even start.

I think what put me off trying to improve the colour was the thought that I would have to make sure I applied the same correction to them all - otherwise I would end up with noticeable boundaries every few miles. But that's just me being mentally lazy - I'm sure it's perfectly do-able.

Edited 4 times, last by Ian C (December 29, 2017 at 5:15 PM).

• HI Ian

Some photo editing programs allow you to make a macro that will carry out a series of instructions.

ie....open file...do what ever you want it to...save file...move on to next file and repeat

Nope...don't ask me how I just know Photoshop will do it as my daughter is a photographer and takes great delight in showing me all the tricks of the trade

• HI Ian

Some photo editing programs allow you to make a macro that will carry out a series of instructions.

ie....open file...do what ever you want it to...save file...move on to next file and repeat

Nope...don't ask me how I just know Photoshop will do it as my daughter is a photographer and takes great delight in showing me all the tricks of the trade

Thanks Steve - automation would be great, but I've just noticed that I can save my saturation, brightness etc settings in Gimp, so that'll do if all else fails. I tried improving a brown image but I think I just made it worse, so I obviously need to work on that!

• I would use image magick. It has the power of photoshop but runs with command line instructions.

https://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

There's loads of example scripts and tutorials explaining how to adjust images. Here is something on Colour

http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/color_basics/

I think you can even run it on *.bmp

http://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-serv…pic.php?t=11959

If you can precisely describe what you are trying to achieve then just try googling that and somebody has probably already done it and written the script.

Phil

• Thanks for the advice Phil - I'll have a look at the links.