ORBX Germany Photoreal

• ORBX CEO John Venema just posed a question that they got access to Germany imagery and ask if there is interest in a Photoreal Germany. This would be a multi-simulator development with AeroflyFS2 as the launch platform(!)

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/14…many-photoreal/

If you are interested in this (I am definitely), it may be a good idea to express this in the ORBX thread.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• That will be great. And happy to see Orbx seems not afraid about big size photoreal scenery (30GB netherlands, 120GB Germany) so we can hope good resolution everywhere. I love the IPACS scenery but the only problem for me it's too low resolution in some area (i will prefer bigger size but better resolution in the places far from airport).

• I'd love Orbx to take a different approach with Aerofly: developing big areas/countries/states with the more relevant airports represented with the Orbx quality, instead of just selling airports and scenery separately. On my opinion is a bit pointless to release photo regions when we can already do that ourselves with pretty good quality, If they want to do the same, they should offer something else, and adding POIs is not enough.

Edited once, last by GameAddict (January 1, 2018 at 12:11 PM).

• I absolutely support Germany Photoreal, and everything photoreal. This is not just out of personal preference, but my observation of the technology as well.

I know photoreal has existed since many years ago, and many people are not very keen on it. But the situation has changed. The time of photoreal is more suited for today, and for the future:

1. Photoreal used to be flat, or just some misplaced autogens, but this has greatly changed. The growing GIS information and OpenStreetMap database can now add millions of 3D objects accurately and automatically. This is also where Orbx excels and truly shines.

2. Photoreal resolution used to be confined by HD storage. We used to think several GB massive and hard accept, but this has now greatly changed, thanks to the dropping of hard disk price , the growing storage capacity, and the fast broadband speed today. I'd happy to download a 100GB Germany photoreal, in less than 1 hours.

3. The taste has changed. We are treated to high resolution images, videos, and VR. We long for the real thing more than ever. When I am using Google Earth VR every day, I can no longer go back to the false generic map any more.

4. Ultimately I think the future of the scenery of flight simulation is something like Google Earth VR, with much higher resolution. Everything is made with 3D scan, or 3D photogrammetry of the real world, but that might be more than 10 years away. Photoreal plus 3D cultivation with exact GIS information will be the more realistic for now, and would be grafted seamless to the future.

• I have a suspicion that all of Australia might not be that far away. I think an updated version of Australia has been alluded to on the Orbx forum so it would be logical to do a version for us as well as the other sims.

• When they first began discussing this photoreal initiatives, I thought about them having the opportunity to do an awful lot of airports, but right after that, I started wondering if they would start selling city sceneries, and yes, it seems that is the case as well.....

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Sorry, i can't realy understand what you mean. The photoreal scenery will not be complete with airport, city... as the landclass scenery? from my perspective the previous land class-based cities we're never all that accurate. Usually , they had a few point of Interest style buildings they gave an approximate idea of a city , but it never extended very far nor was it all that accurate .

Previous FSX and p3d sceneries were from my perspective never all that accurate. If you go to visit France in p3d for instance, you will find some iconic landmarks like the Eiffel Tower, but the area very quickly devolves into simple land class-based scenery that doesn't have that much to do with the actual area.

That's been the pattern for years, only occasionally broken by special projects that were more detailed, but were also usually based on Ortho scenery.

Things like orbx cityscape Canberra, and that cost about $40. (Or the aerosoft Us cities, or the occasional release by Drzewiecki Design, France VFR .... etc)

Now Orbx are talking about releasing a line of much more detailed Ortho based City projects, and I think it's something that's been a long time coming.

Read here where it mentions the year of Cityscapes: https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/14…15-screenshots/

Though I suspect region sceneries might already include at least limited city renditions.....

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

Edited once, last by HiFlyer (January 3, 2018 at 12:29 PM).

• Wow, I wouldn't love to see Australia photoreal. I don't care how many terabytes. Having flown across Oz quite a few times in a small aircraft the diversity of landscapes is amazing. OK It goes at a snails pace compared to flying across Europe, map reading can be challenging, but there is a terrific sense of the vastness of the country and every airstrip is a godsend.

• Following the discussion on the ORBX forum for some time, I am a bit disturbed. While most AeroflyFS2 users - naturally - like the idea of a photoreal Germany, the Prepar3d/FSX crowd seems to be quite content with landclass regions in general. Now these certainly have their merits, but the future imo will be photo-based + "cultivated". It's like HiFlyer states above.

I only hope JV doesn't cancel the project at all because of undercritical mass, but at least provide an AeroflyFS2 version. Thanks to all telling him there's some interest from our side.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• I only hope JV doesn't cancel the project at all because of undercritical mass, but at least provide an AeroflyFS2 version. Thanks to all telling him there's some interest from our side

People are contrary critters. If an AF only version was released, the P3D folks would have a riot and immediately about-face and demand their version. 8o

Devons rig