HTC to Announce Upgraded Resolution?

• X-Plane 11 VR is how!

Though I'd still rather fly Aerofly whatever the controls.

I've watched a couple of XP11 VR "Hands" videos on YouTube and I'm still not sure about the use of the Touch controllers. Having to hold a separate controller to represent my hand means I can't be using that hand to interact with my real-world yoke, tpm, etc.

I'm an early adopter of the Leap Motion sensor too and have had it stuck to the front of my Oculus since day one. This I can see potentially working very well as long as the tracking is consistent. I could let go of my physical yoke, reach "up and out" into the virtual space to touch virtual controls, etc. Could be good.

Either way, I'm looking forward to what the IPACS team brings us. I'm certain it will rival if not better the competition...

• I've watched a couple of XP11 VR "Hands" videos on YouTube and I'm still not sure about the use of the Touch controllers. Having to hold a separate controller to represent my hand means I can't be using that hand to interact with my real-world yoke, tpm, etc.

I'm an early adopter of the Leap Motion sensor too and have had it stuck to the front of my Oculus since day one. This I can see potentially working very well as long as the tracking is consistent. I could let go of my physical yoke, reach "up and out" into the virtual space to touch virtual controls, etc. Could be good.

Either way, I'm looking forward to what the IPACS team brings us. I'm certain it will rival if not better the competition...

Although I've never tried Leap Motion, I agree that it sounds like the best option overall. Having to pick up a physical controller is a bit tedious.

Redtail

KFRG, KTEB, KEWR, KLGA

~Straighten up and fly right~

DESKTOP: i7-7700k @5GHz (water cooled), Nvidia GTX 1080Ti FTW3, 32GB DDR4, 500GB SSD, Oculus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Home 64 bit,

TM HOTAS Warthog (large spring removed), Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals, YOKO yoke!

Laptop (gaming): Acer Predator Helios 500- Intel Core i7-8750H @4.1GHz, Nvidia GTX 1070, 32GB DDR4, 256GB SSD/1TB HDD.

Gametrix JetSeat FSE (Flight Sim Edition)-USB Vibrating pad. Nextlevel V3 Motion Platform / Sim cockpit.

• I fly 100% VR (unless I am jumping in and out to check scenery dev results)

I primarily fly in the ASG29 around LOWI (thanks ORBX) with a Logitech Extreme 3D joystick and Rift

I have a reclining office chair with a footrest so my body position almost matches the pilot position in the ASG.

I always fly with the pilot shown inside.

The sense of immersion is amazing.

Even though I do not have rudder pedals, when I apply some rudder my brain tells me my legs are moving.

I fly with the left hand controller (which shows while flying again with the latest updates) and right hand joystick . The VR hand appears to rest on the VR leg when my hand rests on my leg IRL. Unfortunately flight controls are not yet active with VR controllers, but even so it is useful to have the controller. I can exit to the menu with a joystick key assignment and manipulate menu entries to adjust settings or view the moving map without taking the headset off (or getting out of my comfy chair)

For me LeapMotion style hand tracking would be ideal (if the tracking can be stabilized).

And if the pilot arms were animated accordingly, the immersion would be even better.

cheers

Stu

i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz | ASUS Z170-A | 16Gb DDR4 | Samsung SSD 950 PRO NVME M.2 256GB | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on GP102-A GPU | Oculus CV1 | Windows 10

• Zed has really got me thinking.....

So... Straight question to the forum... How important is the concept of VR Hands to you as opposed to the visual dynamics of better resolution?

On the subject of hands

https://uploadvr.com/ces-2018-conta…aptic-glove-vr/

Plenty of exciting things for the future in terms of reaching out and touching a virtually real cockpit. For now its vapourware just like GloveOne who haven't updated their Facebook page since November 7th

• I just found this comparison of the current Vive and the Samsung Odyssey, which uses the same displays as in the Vive Pro...

https://imgur.com/njOx0Gu

It’s not a huge difference but the dials are easier to read in the right image which is the Odyssey. Add the effect of head and eye tremors which help to increase effective resolution and the effect should be even greater when actually in VR.

For whatever it’s worth...

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, 2 dof Motion, Valve Index

• Can’t answer specifically on the Rift image but I’m sure it’s true for the Rift as well that if you need to be able to see something and can’t quite make it out, you can just lean in to bring it closer and make it bigger.

I think I posted this before but here is an eye chart of sorts that shows the effective difference between Vive and Vive Pro by a dev house that’s been using them: https://mobile.twitter.com/dogheadsims/st…491718444462080

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, 2 dof Motion, Valve Index

• In the comparison image mentioned above, how does this lack of clarity compare to reading instruments in the Rift?

- Kenneth

These comparisons mean very little unless you try it for yourself. I thought I knew what I was going to get before I tried VR. I didn't, It's way better :)

This never works well, but here's a photo taken with my phone, held as close as I dare to one lens of my Rift. This isn't leaning to the controls, this is normal seated view. When wearing the rift your eye is closer to the lens than I can get with my phone camera. So this same view when wearing it would also show through the windscreen and all around. Basically take this photo and add the same again all around it, at least.

• Thank you... I fly the Cessna almost exclusively in AFS2, so I just wondered if the instruments were blurry in VR after seeing that first image. Would hate to spend thousands on a new system plus a Rift, only to find I can't read the numbers.

- Kenneth

• Hi Kenneth

One phrase will go through your mind the first time you use VR

Why the hell didn't I do this months ago

The second phrase will be...I feel a bit sick..... as they do take some getting used to

Try Elite Dangerous Horizons for the really mind blowing scale effect

Stev

• Thank you... I fly the Cessna almost exclusively in AFS2, so I just wondered if the instruments were blurry in VR after seeing that first image. Would hate to spend thousands on a new system plus a Rift, only to find I can't read the numbers.

- Kenneth

I find the C172 instruments quite readable with the Rift, although the warning text requires some leaning and squinting.

And that is wearing an old pair of glasses with a previous prescription because the smaller frame size fits much more comfortably in the Rift.

I kept holding out for the next generation in VR and finally gave in and bought the Rift CV1.

As many others have stated "why did I wait so long"

cheers

Stu

i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz | ASUS Z170-A | 16Gb DDR4 | Samsung SSD 950 PRO NVME M.2 256GB | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on GP102-A GPU | Oculus CV1 | Windows 10