How do you fly an airplane when using Oculus Rift Touch controllers?

• I've sold my X52 to upgrade but one feature I loved about it was the scrol wheel at the front of the throttle. When you leave mouse cursor hovering above HDG bug or other rotary selectors, it will disappear after while but you can still turn the bug with the scroll wheel on your X52.

btw, I'm preparing video to show you guys latest addition to my pit, including five rotary encoders. They are currently assigned to control AP and I have to say, It makes such great difference in VR that I decided to build whole radio stack too;)

Jay

This sounds great. Improvements coming from all directions. Thanks.

Regards,

Ray

• This will be very nice, you can fly with hardware yoke or stick / Pitch ...and also use hands on switches, gear, flaps

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

mfg, Jens ... Flight-Sim.org

Mein Home-Cockpit ... My Simulator Hardware

MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4 --- SI INTEL Core i7-13700F 2.1GHz LGA1700 Tray --- Palit RTX4070 JetStream 12GB DDR6 --- 16GB DDR4 PC4400 --- SSD Patriot 1TB M.2 Viper VP4300 --- Pimax Crystal

Alles fliegt irgendwie,
    fragt sich nur wielange

• talking about hardware, check out my latest creations;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrMR9…1zA?app=desktop

Jay

Jay,

Is there a deeper link? This seems to be a home page and not anything specific.

Regards,

Ray

• Thank you gents for the glasses advice. All being well, a new computer within two months, and the Rift shortly thereafter... I am also due for a new glasses prescription, so I will be shopping for glasses also based on how they might fit inside the rift.. Might need two pairs this time..... Now, how do I wear the Foggles inside the thing? (just kidding on that!)

- Kenneth

I thought I might chip in something regarding glasses and VR. You might not need glasses for VR even if you use it daily. The focal distance inside the head set is about 2 metres, regardless if you are looking at a news paper or a mountain in the distance. I'm slightly near-sighted, but have no issues seeing an airport 5 Kms out in Aerofly!

• That's it Ray:))

I wanted to show of my growing collection of cockpit components though.

New Flaps switch and cessna master switch.

Well, there is actually deeper link here

Jay

Truly outstanding stuff, Jay, Amazing detail and realism. :huh:

Regards,

Ray

• sorry to ressurect "an old thread", :P

but thanks Jay for showing this solution,

This will help imensly on the Autopilot and nav-radio's until IPACS alow us to interface better with the SIM (Arduino,Sim Innovations Air-Manager support added..)

Also cudos on what you have accieved on the Force-feedback yoke stuff!!=O^^^^ Just freakin Great!!!

Looking forvard to the V2 of Force-feedback Project ,:thumbup:^^

Can you tell me your shopping list for this?

I really want "ELMA (almost)aviation appoved series encoders (with Swiss-click)because I want that real tactical feel(quality that lasts..), Saitec encoders sorely misses that..nothing of that quality in any equipment inside my house lol.. not on the microwave or masses of guitar-interface-equipment haha..

I had some cheap Bourns encoders earlier a few years back, that had that same vague feeling.. :rolleyes::thumbdown:(now I know encoder quality when I hear the click "and also feel it")

Thanks in advance

CPU: Intel i7-975 Extreme Edition @3.33Ghz (unclocked) | RAM: 14GB DDR3 | MAINBOARD: Ausus P6T Deluxe V2 | GRAPHICS CARD: Nvida Titan GTX 6GB

OS: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OEM, Servicepack-1 |  STORAGE: WD Black 750 GB 7200rpm HDD, V-Raptor 300 GB 10.000rpm HDD

USB HID-DEVICES: CH Yoke, CH pedals, Saitek radio-panel, Saitek Switch panel | MONITOR LCD: 32" inch Philips 2560x1440p

SOFTWARE: Aerofly FS2: Florida DLC, New York DLC, ORBX DLC | FSX-Accecelration | LM Prepar3D V2 & V3

• Hey

I'm not sure which solution you referring to (Saitek throttle scroll wheel or rotary encoders on Leo Bodnar's board) ?

Anyhow I have to say that AFS2 has the best response with the rotaries! None of the other sims can do this with such natural feel.

Regarding the FFB yoke.

V2 is progressing really well so I've launched a little "campaign" to find programmer capable of writing ASF2-FFB plugin.

And just to re-insure anybody else following the SuperCub development, I'm still on it boys;) (slow but steady)

Over and Out

Jay

• Well I have the rotary encoders on the Saitek radio-panel, and I had "a cockpit-panel test-prototype" which had the same vague feel on
    the encoder rotarys I built back in the day...
    But I am certain that I will not settle for anything less than ELMA encoders, Russ Barlow "Air manager" tested different encoders and highly recomended that ELMA thing, closest to real aviation encoders he said (If a old captain says that, I will rely on it, no way to test it myself...though):)

Great to hear that they work well in AFS-2 :), they looked like they worked well in the video.
    Seems like the Saitek encoders on the radio do not work well in AFS-2 at least in my install of Windows-7 64bit
    Saitek switch panel works though roughly 85% function

Thanks for your info !:):thumbup:

Does it matter if I order this http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php…7bd6d88698b21b2

or this ? http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php…products_id=180

Will it work with toggle switches also ? in Aerofly FS2 ?? or do I have to wait for Arduino support "for this toggle feature"
    So at least Aerofly support rotarys, and push-button/momentary switches out of the box with this Leo-Bodnar board ?

Also looking forward to the SS Carbon cub 8) great work btw ^^^^

CPU: Intel i7-975 Extreme Edition @3.33Ghz (unclocked) | RAM: 14GB DDR3 | MAINBOARD: Ausus P6T Deluxe V2 | GRAPHICS CARD: Nvida Titan GTX 6GB

OS: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OEM, Servicepack-1 |  STORAGE: WD Black 750 GB 7200rpm HDD, V-Raptor 300 GB 10.000rpm HDD

USB HID-DEVICES: CH Yoke, CH pedals, Saitek radio-panel, Saitek Switch panel | MONITOR LCD: 32" inch Philips 2560x1440p

SOFTWARE: Aerofly FS2: Florida DLC, New York DLC, ORBX DLC | FSX-Accecelration | LM Prepar3D V2 & V3

Edited once, last by Rune-ENHD (September 9, 2018 at 9:42 PM).

• BU0836A uses a matrix wiring system but will do the same job in terms of encoders.

BU0836X is more expensive, allows for very easy integration (thanks to the clip-rail) and supports wider range of inputs.

The reason why it works so well, is quite simple. AFS2 allows you to assign key strokes to +/- adjustments of various instruments!

Bodnar's joystick boards support "rotary to key" emulation via additional plugin so all you need to do is find the best timing for your particular encoders..

This is my setup for example:

The Pulse Width makes all the difference..

Over and Out

Jay

• That's it Ray:))

I wanted to show of my growing collection of cockpit components though.

New Flaps switch and cessna master switch.

Well, there is actually deeper link here

Jay

I love the switches. I'm getting very close now to justifying the purchase of a 3D printer. Tell me please Jay 737 - there's something I can't get my head around about FFB yokes. Do you create resistance by having a motor push in the direction against which you are turning/pitching? Doesn't that just burn it out? And if you didn't make the turn doesn't it mean the motor would move the yoke to a different position by itself. I understand motion platforms and have built a G-Seat but FFB I just don't get yet.

The idea I'm working on is to take an existing yoke and convert it to FFB by installing 2 servos to provide the resistance. I'm running SimTools 2.2 and can code the Arduino so I can get the AFS2 forces to the yoke.

Small light bulb moment as I type - I set the servos to hold the existing position and therefore resist movement, but somehow detect small movements in the intended direction and allow some movement after a little effort.

• ps.

Do you create resistance by having a motor push in the direction against which you are turning/pitching? Doesn't that just burn it out? And if you didn't make the turn doesn't it mean the motor would move the yoke to a different position by itself. I understand motion platforms and have built a G-Seat but FFB I just don't get yet.

The idea I'm working on is to take an existing yoke and convert it to FFB by installing 2 servos to provide the resistance. I'm running SimTools 2.2 and can code the Arduino so I can get the AFS2 forces to the yoke.

Small light bulb moment as I type - I set the servos to hold the existing position and therefore resist movement, but somehow detect small movements in the intended direction and allow some movement after a little effort.

that's correct.

For example basic spring effect will try to maintain certain position defined by flight conditions. When you push the stick out, motors kick in with linear load farther you push. Strangely enough they won't burn or even get warm (talking about MSFFB stick).

If you don't make the turn, the yoke will follow which is the good thing (when you trim the aircraft or engage AP the yoke will maintain desired "center").

I was always wondering if SimTools can be any useful for FFB application though.

Your "light-bulb moment" is very similar to what I'm trying to achieve with OS-CL (see my web, very bottom of the page) https://vrflightsim.wixsite.com/mysite/in-progress

Over and Out

Jay

• Nice looking design. That CL is getting close to a Brunner CLS-E which I think of as gold standard.

OK, I see I could use a servo to hold a particular position which would provide resistance against movement, but wouldn't you want the resistance to vary according to flight characteristics? Looking at the CLS-E info it says:

• Simulated effects: engine, ground, turbulence, real trim, autopilot, stall etc.
    • Dynamic pressure dependent force profile

I could see how engine vibration could be applied - you can get that via SimTools once they upgrade the plugin for simvibe, possibly "ground" as well. As for dynamic pressure dependent profiles I don't know how that could be done without varying the strength of the motor via some analogue voltage control.

Pitch, roll, roll-per-sec and pitch-per-sec are in SimTools already.

• Nice looking design. That CL is getting close to a Brunner CLS-E which I think of as gold standard.

OK, I see I could use a servo to hold a particular position which would provide resistance against movement, but wouldn't you want the resistance to vary according to flight characteristics? Looking at the CLS-E info it says:

• Simulated effects: engine, ground, turbulence, real trim, autopilot, stall etc.
    • Dynamic pressure dependent force profile

I could see how engine vibration could be applied - you can get that via SimTools once they upgrade the plugin for simvibe, possibly "ground" as well. As for dynamic pressure dependent profiles I don't know how that could be done without varying the strength of the motor via some analogue voltage control.

Pitch, roll, roll-per-sec and pitch-per-sec are in SimTools already.

Of course, you'll need "few" lines of code to decide what kind of effect, direction and strength is to be send to your motors. This should be done with some kind of control board, H-bridge and PWM. I still don't understand half of what's needed to achieve this but there are some clever people willing to help though;)

I'll have a closer look to the SimTools. Perhaps this might be an option.

Over and Out

Jay

• Of course, you'll need "few" lines of code to decide what kind of effect, direction and strength is to be send to your motors. This should be done with some kind of control board, H-bridge and PWM. I still don't understand half of what's needed to achieve this but there are some clever people willing to help though;)

I'll have a closer look to the SimTools. Perhaps this might be an option.

I have a new idea for adding force feedback to my yoke. I have 2x 24 volt strong robot servos (bought them to make a G-Seat before upgrading them). Positional control is very easy using arduino with a +ve,-ve,signal input and I have the code for that. That's the feedback side taken care of. What I need also is to control the power of the servo in order to control its resistance. Yes, as you say its all about PWM but that involves abandoning the servo, working with a standard motors and building the pot. coupling etc. It would be easier and more compact if I could just vary the power of the servo.

The servo control board doesn't have this option but I can see lots of stuff on the web for how to use arduino to make a buck step down converter, so I'm going to look into that approach for stepping down the 24v input in inverse proportion to the resistance I want to feel.