Cultivation from photoscenery?

• ScenProc manual section 6 says...

Sometimes you want to create autogen for an area that is not covered by good

vector data. So for example the vector data shows hardly no vegetation, while

in your photo scenery you can obviously see the vegetation. How to tackle this

problem?

The feature detection function of scenProc is designed for that. With this

feature you can create your own vector data, derived from the imagery you use

for your photo scenery. This vector data can then be used later on to create

your autogen like usual.

Does anyone have experience of this?

• Not yet. Cultivation for vegetation seems to be pretty spot on for the areas I have done. What interested me more was a comment in one of the posts arno did, about using the same technique to identify buildings in images, and create the vector data for those. Sounds like he is working on it, which would be great for those of us in the US with little to no OSM data.

If you try it, let us know how it all works out.

Andrew

• Indeed, there's got to be a better way. I have actually abandoned my cultivation efforts because I am tired of Scenproc not picking up trees. I'll see areas of trees defined in OSM, but then they are not recognized as "forest", and hence no trees when Scenproc is finished with the process. Also, the lack of buildings in OSM.. I have gone back to flying over just the bare geoconverted photos at around 3000 ASL instead.

- Kenneth

• Indeed, there's got to be a better way. I have actually abandoned my cultivation efforts because I am tired of Scenproc not picking up trees. I'll see areas of trees defined in OSM, but then they are not recognized as "forest", and hence no trees when Scenproc is finished with the process. Also, the lack of buildings in OSM.. I have gone back to flying over just the bare geoconverted photos at around 3000 ASL instead.

- Kenneth

Can you attach a zip of the OSM you downloaded? You maybe just need to modify the scenproc so it picks up a different identifier than "forest"

- Kenneth

You can change the tags in JOSM to: key = landuse & Value = forest

Also it's very easy to manually add forests, roads, suburban trees and houses using JOSM.

I might consider creating a tutorial if I get enough interest.

In the image below I created the forest and houses and it took about 45 min.

Handy cultivation tools

Windows 10 64bit | iCore7-7770K| ASUS STRIX Z270E |KHX2400C15D4 - 32GB | Gigabyte Ge-Force GTX 1080Ti| SSD Intel 520 Series | 40" Philips BDM4065UC/75 4K - Oculus Rift

• You can change the tags in JOSM to: key = landuse & Value = forest

Also it's very easy to manually add forests, roads, suburban trees and houses using JOSM.

I'd be interested, if you have time - though I have plenty to be going on with at the moment with my UK Ordnance Survey cultivation. I did think of extending my UK scenery into northern France, however - or maybe even doing somewhere totally random, like New Zealand. I did a test area around Calais, and the OSM building density isn't too bad there - but the building and tree placement isn't as accurate as the UK Ordnance Survey (OS) and there are clearly wooded areas missing. (Unfortunately the aerial images were rather low res too.) I notice that there is a French equivalent (IGN) of the British OS, and that some of their data is in the form of SHP files - but I think it would take me quite a while to figure out how to use them!

• I'd be interested, if you have time - though I have plenty to be going on with at the moment with my UK Ordnance Survey cultivation. I did think of extending my UK scenery into northern France, however - or maybe even doing somewhere totally random, like New Zealand. I did a test area around Calais, and the OSM building density isn't too bad there - but the building and tree placement isn't as accurate as the UK Ordnance Survey (OS) and there are clearly wooded areas missing. (Unfortunately the aerial images were rather low res too.) I notice that there is a French equivalent (IGN) of the British OS, and that some of their data is in the form of SHP files - but I think it would take me quite a while to figure out how to use them!

Install JOSM , open a shape or OSM file and have a play with it.

Handy cultivation tools

Windows 10 64bit | iCore7-7770K| ASUS STRIX Z270E |KHX2400C15D4 - 32GB | Gigabyte Ge-Force GTX 1080Ti| SSD Intel 520 Series | 40" Philips BDM4065UC/75 4K - Oculus Rift

• Here is a video of the scenery I am working on: Moruya

Nice!

Indeed it is a very absorbing hobby, and the results can be quite staggering. My computer is on 24/7 processing one thing or another. My only enemies are the occasional internet outage or random Windows 10 restart! (Though I think I've now reduced the latter to a minimum.)

• Thanks guys.

I will look at JOSM. It might be what I need to add the missing elements.

By the way, anyone else find their frame rates dropping significantly after cultivating large areas with streetlights?

Absorbing hobby? Addictive more like. BUT, that's been the story of my life with Flight sim!!

- Kenneth

• Here is a video of the scenery I am working on: Moruya

Holy Cow, Batman. This is great stuff.

Regards,

Ray

Here is a video of the scenery I am working on: Moruya

• You can change the tags in JOSM to: key = landuse & Value = forest

Another vote for a tutorial on this. OSM data here in the US is spotty at best. If this is better for adding buildings easily, I am all for it!

• Phil,

Thanks for your offer to check this for me. In the zip file, there is the map.osm file, plus three scripts I use with ScenProc. The scripts allow me to have individual .tocs for buildings, lights, and trees. If I find an area bogging down in terms of FPS, or I do not want a specific cultivation element for that flight, I rename the file to -off. Anyway, in the map there are tons of areas with trees, but nary a twig in my cultivation efforts.

Hold the bus... The zip file is too big to send you (3.5mb). I will email it your way instead.

- Kenneth