Cultivation from photoscenery?

• Kenneth - landuse="wood"

I went to OSM and the area you'd selected, made an account so I could go into edit mode and poked around a bit, to find that "wood" seemed to be what was being used. Also looking in the download file you sent the word "forest" didn't appear once so it either had to be a different term or somehow what you wanted wasn't selected.

• Hi Phil.

I appreciate that you checked into this for me. Thank you. I changed the references in my ScenProc from "forest" to "wood." Ran it again with the same map.osm, and still not a single tree was produced. Might have to get into JOSM after all and do the planting myself?

Regards

- Kenneth

• Hi Phil.

I appreciate that you checked into this for me. Thank you. I changed the references in my ScenProc from "forest" to "wood." Ran it again with the same map.osm, and still not a single tree was produced. Might have to get into JOSM after all and do the planting myself?

Regards

- Kenneth

Oh dear that's a shame. Yes try downloading JOSM, as you could then probably import this OSM file and see if you're working with the right kind of extract. I only briefly looked at OSM before switching to UK only OS Data. Someone has gone to the trouble of "planting" these trees, so there would be no point planting your own and only then discovering the right way to extract the data you need.

• Kloot,

Your scenery effort is certainly one of the best I have ever seen! I have downloaded JOSM and have already planted some trees as well as merged some osm files. I haven't yet tried creating houses/buildings and would appreciate a short list of josm concepts in order to do that quickly. It looks like you are getting good variation in the rooftops - is that something special in JOSM or ScenProc or does it just turn out that way? So if you have just a little time - not enough yet for a tutorial, just a few tips and techniques would be very helpful.

I have always favored photoreal in the past with FSX/P3D but even with third party pricey areas, they usually just do the city downtowns and sprinkle a little here and there - and usually have limited night lighting. The use of Openstreetmap with our toolsets (thanks for JOSM, Scenproc from Arno at fsdeveloper.com, and IPACS for supporting it at all) has provided the ability to generate scenery that is maybe better in some cases to what we could purchase even if it were available!

Dave W.

• Kloot,

Your scenery effort is certainly one of the best I have ever seen! I have downloaded JOSM and have already planted some trees as well as merged some osm files. I haven't yet tried creating houses/buildings and would appreciate a short list of josm concepts in order to do that quickly. It looks like you are getting good variation in the rooftops - is that something special in JOSM or ScenProc or does it just turn out that way? So if you have just a little time - not enough yet for a tutorial, just a few tips and techniques would be very helpful.

I have always favored photoreal in the past with FSX/P3D but even with third party pricey areas, they usually just do the city downtowns and sprinkle a little here and there - and usually have limited night lighting. The use of Openstreetmap with our toolsets (thanks for JOSM, Scenproc from Arno at fsdeveloper.com, and IPACS for supporting it at all) has provided the ability to generate scenery that is maybe better in some cases to what we could purchase even if it were available!

Dave W.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the kind words.

I will try to put something together this coming weekend.

- Paul

Handy cultivation tools

Windows 10 64bit | iCore7-7770K| ASUS STRIX Z270E |KHX2400C15D4 - 32GB | Gigabyte Ge-Force GTX 1080Ti| SSD Intel 520 Series | 40" Philips BDM4065UC/75 4K - Oculus Rift

• Kloot,

I have been able to add houses, forest polys, and fix street additions with JOSM - thanks so much for pointers on where to get it and how to use it!

I am flying in all of San Diego county with about 10,000 buildings, 100,000 lights, and 2000 new trees (in addition to those by default).

I changed the SPC file for ScenProc to reduce the number of lights for the residential roads - that reduced light count by 30% or so.

This is actually fun!

Thanks

Dave W.

• I am glad you gave it a go. I have suggested the tool multiple times, but no one seemed interested.

The tool is brilliant, no openstreetmap account required (that way you don't accidentally save it to their servers) just save local.

Share some images of your work :thumbup:

Cheers,

Paul

Handy cultivation tools

Windows 10 64bit | iCore7-7770K| ASUS STRIX Z270E |KHX2400C15D4 - 32GB | Gigabyte Ge-Force GTX 1080Ti| SSD Intel 520 Series | 40" Philips BDM4065UC/75 4K - Oculus Rift

Edited once, last by Kloot (January 10, 2018 at 8:51 PM).

• Hi guys,

This all looks great !!:)

I’m new to all this and finding it very rewarding.

So far I’ve added some photorealistic scenery of the uk to the game and was blown away that it worked, so to my questions.

1. Is it possible to do the whole of the uk with photorealistic scenery (big project I know) so many tiles at a time ?

If so what programs would be the best to use ?

2. At what stage do you add the buildings trees etc and what programs are used ?

Thanks in advance

Kind Regards

Ray

• if you're doing the UK you're in luck regarding buildings and trees. Its very easy and extremely comprehensive- not dependent on crowd sourced hit and miss data or DIY. Just follow these steps UK Cultivation - Ordnance Survey instead of Open Streetmap

• Hi Ray - I've been following Phil's instructions for buildings and trees and it really does bring the photo-scenery to life. I've laid down level 9 and 11 scenery tiles for the whole of the south of England and I've completed levels 12 to 15 for just over half that area (over a period of several weeks). 120 GB so far - but you could roughly divide that by 4 if you only went up to level 14, and reduce the time quite a bit as well. Adding cultivation (buildings and trees) is much quicker than doing the scenery, so I've actually done the cultivation for a very large area where I don't even have any of my own scenery yet. It doesn't matter what order you do it in.

• A question abut JOSM... It's telling me I have to install JAVA. I remember installing that a few years ago and it causing all sorts of problems with my computer, to where I swore I'd never touch it again. Anyone had any problems with recent Java installations?

- Kenneth

• A question abut JOSM... It's telling me I have to install JAVA. I remember installing that a few years ago and it causing all sorts of problems with my computer, to where I swore I'd never touch it again. Anyone had any problems with recent Java installations?

- Kenneth

No problems for me 😀

Handy cultivation tools

• Well... Since installing JOSM, my ScenProc no longer recognizes files from openstreetmap. Even with a newly-downloaded map.osm file (or even an old one), it now says "file does not exist." Changed nothing else, and no, did not install Java.

Did your files associations change, maybe?

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Got it working again. Perhaps because the association was changed, it now automatically renames the map file with .osm Up to now I have always had to add the extension manually. When I added it now, it was reading it as map.osm.osm which the Scenproc script ignored. Thanks Hiflyer for your input.

Edited once, last by KJKsimmer (January 11, 2018 at 6:00 AM).

• Hi Ray - I've been following Phil's instructions for buildings and trees and it really does bring the photo-scenery to life. I've laid down level 9 and 11 scenery tiles for the whole of the south of England and I've completed levels 12 to 15 for just over half that area (over a period of several weeks). 120 GB so far - but you could roughly divide that by 4 if you only went up to level 14, and reduce the time quite a bit as well. Adding cultivation (buildings and trees) is much quicker than doing the scenery, so I've actually done the cultivation for a very large area where I don't even have any of my own scenery yet. It doesn't matter what order you do it in.

Thank you Ian,;)

This is all shaping up to be a great sim, i took a gamble on aerofly with its limited world coverage hoping this would be possible really happy now cheers:)

Regards

Ray

• Kloot - or others,

How do I setup JOSM in order to have the option to load a shapefile? I tried getting the plugin opendata but that didn't make the .shp file visible as an option in the Open file formats (plus there were a few errors).

EDIT: I watched a youtube video called "Preparation of JOSM for import of SHP files" and it seemed to indicate the following steps:

Load Plugins

opendata, notes, todo, utilsplugin2, OK

Display settings - GPS Points - Drawing Width of GPX lines 15 and set Single Color in Track and Point Coloring

Then check Colors Tab??, back to GPS Points, then OK

Control +, then F9

I don't know if all these steps are required but it worked so that I could load SHP files. I did all this because I tried the Texture Detction Filter concepts in ScenProc so I could add more trees - and it seems to work well with a Histogram Filter: (all the green rectangles are trees). I am asking Arno (author of ScenProc) to see if he can do the same detection for buildings!

Thanks

Dave W.

Edited 3 times, last by whitav8 (January 11, 2018 at 4:02 PM).