Rectangles! Rectangles and Squares!!

• A lot of you probably instantly knew what the title of my thread meant, but for those still guessing, I'm referring to current osm scenery implementations to cover everything with miles and miles of low-height rectangles and squares that certainly fill up space, but don't really convey the varied feel of a real city.

JV over at Orbx has alluded several times to buildings exactly matching footprints, but is this literal?

Can we expect at some hopefully nearby date that the dreaded OSM rectangles will be superseded by more varied building shapes? :*

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Why don't you just turn them off. They are there to help the new users.

Taranakian.

Computer: PB Gaming 62000 Skylake Core i5 6600, Quad Core 3.3Ghz with Premium Cooling, 16GB DDR4 Gaming Ram, 250GB SSD, 2TB HHD, N'VIDEA GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5, DIRECTX12 Gaming Graphic's Card, VR Ready, Windows10 Home Edition, 64bit, 2 x 24" Widescreen HDMI 1080p VDU's

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Amateur Radio Station: ZL2BMH

• Why don't you just turn them off. They are there to help the new users.

Taranakian.

I suspect we're not talking about the same thing...

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Hi Hiflyer.

What a dumbo. Just went back and read your post again, what a mistaka to maka. I obviously skimmed through it and got the wrong end of the stick.

There is a reason, why, but cannot comment on that in the forum. It's related to my horrific injury received when as a sole charge policeman in the back blocks of NZ, and the injury I sustained in a one v's five motor bike individuals armed to the teeth. I am now severely disabled.

My deepest apologies.

Regards,

Taranakian

Computer: PB Gaming 62000 Skylake Core i5 6600, Quad Core 3.3Ghz with Premium Cooling, 16GB DDR4 Gaming Ram, 250GB SSD, 2TB HHD, N'VIDEA GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5, DIRECTX12 Gaming Graphic's Card, VR Ready, Windows10 Home Edition, 64bit, 2 x 24" Widescreen HDMI 1080p VDU's

Edited once, last by Taranakian (January 16, 2018 at 12:00 AM).

• My guess is that HiFlyer is referring to the endless duplication of cultivation (autogen) buildings that appear as just a bunch of boxes everywhere and pass as houses. I love the dimension that 3D objects give but the repetitive nature of houses and trees in both shape and color does tend to conflict with the realism we get from the stunning photoreal sceneries underneath.

I agree with HiFlyer that 3D houses/buildings matching the footprint and general coloring of what lies underneath would be of great improvement for our virtual world - if you haven't done so, check out this video - 3D google maps; this is a taste of things we may yet get to experience in the not too distant future.

I think IPACS has brought us a very high quality default world, we must not forget that as I for one am spoiled by decades of add-on development in other sims. Customized ORBX airport areas and current DLC are too be commended for what they give us in variety (especially where hand modeled/placed), yet my hope is that the object library and way cultivation objects are compiled does get revision moving forward.

I am keeping an eye out for previews of Orbx Netherlands and PNW to see how they deal with the rectangles and squares.

Edited once, last by uoutoftoon (January 16, 2018 at 1:06 AM).

• A lovely explanation. I thank you very much and certainly interesting times ahead.

Thanks again.

Jim.