3DoF VR Motion simulator for Home

• I raised this for discussion on the motion platform community website https://www.xsimulator.net/community/thre…-16#post-148963

They don't think it would be any use for FlightSim. This looks a bit more interesting to me but price much higher.

The big problem with FlightSim VR and platforms at the moment is motion compensation. i.e the platform rolls you to the left and the sensors pick up you've moved left, so in VR you find you have your head out of the window. There's an OK 3rd party plugin for Vive but no decent solution for Oculus.

• That motion rig is very similar to another one that has been being developed very slowly - the Feel Three. It’s a very cool design but the Kickstarter one has some questions about it. It’s pretty slow so maybe wouldn’t be appropriate for driving. Flying might be OK though.

The Feel Three developer was the first person I’ve ever seen do motion cancellation and he did it well before the plugin software came available to do that. Phil is exactly right that motion rigs with any significant motion displacements need cancelling of the rig motion or you end up sticking your head out of vehicles, etc. Thing is that in VR, it’s generally accepted you don’t need as big of displacements to get the feelings of motion because the brain feels motion that isn’t there if it sees it in a headset.

There is a plug-in/driver available that lets you attach a tracked controller to your rig and subtract its motion from your VR headset's motion to cancel out rig motion. It used to work for both Vive and Rift but Oculus did a software update that broke it for the Rift and it hasn’t worked since. But it still works for the Vive. I asked the folks at Valve directly if they could add cancellation in their drivers and they said it was already on their roadmap but couldn’t give a schedule for when it would actually happen.

The Kickstarter rig looks really cool but may be underpowered. It’s definitely a good concept. I wanted to go the Feel Three route but that dev still doesn’t have a product available. It’s why I finally just built my own conventional 2 dof motion rig. If they end up doing a good job on the Kickstarter one it could be pretty cool.

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, 2 dof Motion, Valve Index

• I have the NextLevel v2 motion base, and they have a brilliant solution the problem you are describing. It’s called VR HeadWay and it lets you easily set up the offsets, ie how far off centre - laterally and vertically - your head is from the centre of rotation, automatically provides compensation and voila - problem solved!

http://motionsystems.eu/software/vr

Flying A330 as a day-job and enjoy VR-flying with PIMAX 5k+. NextLevelRacing v.3 Motion platform, Watercooled and overclocked i9-9900k, 32Gb 3600RAM, Samsung 970EVO Pro 2Tb m.2, nVidia RTX-2080Ti FE, Thrustmaster HOTAS, VKB pedals, Cockpitforyou motorised throttle quadrant, Precision Flight Controls Jetliner column

Edited once, last by Ozav8r: Typo and clarification (January 17, 2018 at 10:49 PM).

• And this problem exists also when the VR cams are ON the seat mounted ??

( planing for last steps of my 3dof )

mfg, Jens ... Flight-Sim.org

Mein Home-Cockpit ... My Simulator Hardware

MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4 --- SI INTEL Core i7-13700F 2.1GHz LGA1700 Tray --- Palit RTX4070 JetStream 12GB DDR6 --- 16GB DDR4 PC4400 --- SSD Patriot 1TB M.2 Viper VP4300 --- Pimax Crystal

Alles fliegt irgendwie,
    fragt sich nur wielange

• And this problem exists also when the VR cams are ON the seat mounted ??

( planing for last steps of my 3dof )

that option stopped working almost exactly 12 months ago - presume you're talking oculus?

• Phil is right, Higgy. You would think mounting the camera on the moving rig would just give you the motion of the headset relative to the rig, and it would if the motion sensing was only based on the camera images, but there are inertial motion sensors in there too.

Not sure what Oculus changed but it broke motion correction. There is one guy on xsimulator that was even experimenting with a camera gimbal to actively correct for the discrepancy somehow but I don’t believe he’s gotten it to work.

• If you are on a motion rig with small displacement movements, you'll be fine. The motions aren’t generally enough to notice though if my rig rolls enough it becomes noticeable but most of the time it isn’t. The guys with the 6 degree of freedom rigs notice it because their point of view can poke their head through the virtual roof, etc.