Samsung Odyssey VR - what is Render Scale Factor recommendation?

• The FS2 Wiki page on Graphics settings recommends RSF = 2.0 for Oculus/Vive users with a GTX 1080. I have a Samsung Odyssey which has 70% more pixels so I'm guessing RSF = 2.0 is overkill. Last night I experimented with lower settings and settled on RSF = 1.5 with Textures/Terrain = Ultra, Shadows = Med, and Buildings/Trees = Low along with no clouds/max visibility. This allowed me to maintain 90 FPS flying around New York City at low altitude.

I'd like to add clouds and more buildings - with the higher Odyssey resolution, should I reduce the RSF back to 1.0 to free up the GPU and use the less demanding Nvidia AA instead to make the cockpit readable? There are more Nvidia AA options to play around with so I'm curious which one is the right one to use if I reduce RSF - I want to keep the cockpit text as clear as possible.

My CPU is an i5-8400 which runs around 60% utilization so I don't think the CPU is an issue.

Ken

• Hi and first off welcome to our forum.

To begin, It's not recommended to use a render scale factor of 2.00 as it will cause a strong performance hit. To use RSF of 2.00 you will need at least a GTX 1080 or higher but we don't really recommend it.

As for your Odyssey I agree with you as with higher core resolution you can lower the RSF. I would suggest lowering RSF down to maybe 1.50. This should give you a very nice image. I would experiment with different setting and make your own decision on the perfect balance between performance and quality.

As for all of the other settings, setting everything to ULTRA will run very well on your PC to begin with.

As for adding AA, in VR AA has very limited effect so it's advised to set your NVidia control panel to default settings, the RSF will make the noticeable difference here.

Aerofly uses more of GPU than CPU so the better the GPU the better the experience.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Thanks for the quick reply Jeff.

I am running a GTX 1080. I'm not sure if the Windows Mixed Reality headsets currently take advantage of Valve's async reprojection option. I currently have that option UNCHECKED - I'll give it a try tonight. Hopefully it works with the Odyssey and if so, I can add in some clouds and more buildings and still get a smooth flyby of the Empire State Building.

• I have the Samsung but not the CV1. From reading alot it seems like CV1 is more stable and has a larger sweet spot of clear viewing when you look around. The Samsung has 70% more pixels and gets alot of "display looks better than the Vive or Oculus" comments and the Samsung is easier to setup because you don't have to setup tracking cameras in front of you.

The Samsung works with Steam but there's a way to play Oculus exclusive games (haven't tried that). I believe there is also a way for CV1 users to play Steam/Vive games.

My guess is you need a better graphics card for the Samsung to push the extra pixels. I jumped into VR last month for the flying and when I first buzzed an airport in FS2 in an F-18 at 1000 MPH and at a butter smooth 90 FPS, I was glad I bought that GTX 1080 graphics card!