Newest VR user now on board

• Having said what I said above I just reinstalled the Rift to check how the immersion was again and well, yes, things aren't as horrible as I sometimes say and the immersion IS grea and I will probably do a VR flight every now and then just for that immersion but still... it will not be my main way of simming. The resolution simply is quite low. And the pressure on my head alone is enough to prevent that from happening: can't imagine doing an hour flight with the Rift on my head. Obviously this is very personal and may depend on the shape of your head. 8o But anyway, I have to say it's nice to have the Rift available again for an occasional immersion fix... even it will be for a 10 minute flight or so.

• But anyway, I have to say it's nice to have the Rift available again for an occasional immersion fix... even it will be for a 10 minute flight or so.

You don't use it for anything else?

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• You don't use it for anything else?

No, also because I lost interest in gaming, so I noticed. I did play Lone Echo though and it was cool but nothing else interests me. I was sort of hoping there would be more ‘travel’ software available by now (I’d like to travel in VR in my chair) but there hardly is anything of interest. It is either only 360, which I don’t like at all, or 3D 360 but with a really horrible resolution.

• J van E - have you heard about the Vive Pro? It’s hitting as an upgrade for current Vive owners this quarter and as a full set soon after that. Instead of the 1080 x 1200 pixel resolution panels of the Vive and Rift, the Vive Pro uses 1440 x 1600 pixel panels. It has a number of other improvements as well.

It’s not a huge step up in resolution but those who have tried it say it’s a very noticeable improvement. If resolution is the main issue with VR for you, it may be something to watch for. Pimax may also be a solution.

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, 2 dof Motion, Valve Index

• J van E - have you heard about the Vive Pro? It’s hitting as an upgrade for current Vive owners this quarter and as a full set soon after that. Instead of the 1080 x 1200 pixel resolution panels of the Vive and Rift, the Vive Pro uses 1440 x 1600 pixel panels. It has a number of other improvements as well.

It’s not a huge step up in resolution but those who have tried it say it’s a very noticeable improvement. If resolution is the main issue with VR for you, it may be something to watch for. Pimax may also be a solution.

Yes, I heard about it, thanks, but after spending a lot of money on the Rift (and Touch and all) I am not prepared to spend money on it again until the improvements are significant and huge. I can't upgrade my Rift with the Vive Pro so I'd have to buy it all for the full price. A 'noticable improvement' isn't worth that kind of cash to me. ;) But well, maybe in a few years... When AFS2 also has weather... :p

• The reviews I have read so far say that the resolution increase is obvious, and that the screen door effect is almost completely gone. I hope they send out demo units to Best Buys across the country so we can see for ourselves before spending $$$$ on the upgrade.

• Tough decision. The Rift is at rock bottom prices right now. I paid $299 US with free shipping and no tax so it was not a big financial decision for me. No doubt the 2nd gen units and the Pimax 8K will be more expensive but may be worth the wait.

Regards,

Ray

• Every day without VR flying is a lost day!

That's pretty much the way I felt about it. I was sitting there dithering , and it occurred to me there was nothing stopping me from wandering out of the house and getting hit by a bus or something unexpectedly, at which point I would miss out on everything!

So, under my new motto of seize the moment, I went and bought my headset, and I don't regret it one bit.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Tough decision. The Rift is at rock bottom prices right now. I paid $299 US with free shipping and no tax so it was not a big financial decision for me. No doubt the 2nd gen units and the Pimax 8K will be more expensive but may be worth the wait.

Regards,

Ray

No matter how long you wait there will always be something better on the horizon. It is a tough decision.

• Tough? Not at all. Now we know something (slightly) better is about to be released, the Vive Pro, I would CERTAINLY wait. Unlike other hardware devices like these aren’t released a few times a year. Once a year or even two years is more likely. If the Vive Pro is indeed a bit better, wait for it, you won’t regret it. I would never buy a Rift or Vive at this moment knowing this. Believe me, every little improvement over what we have now is worth the wait and an improvement in resolution is the most important upgrade every VR owner would wish to get.

• here is sometimes a complete set rift for about 400 Eur incl Tax ...i pay 1000 ... and when i try this 1,5 years before, i will pay to that time also 1500 :)

So ...do it ... when you have the money. Dont do it, if your children have nothing to eat then ;)

mfg, Jens ... Flight-Sim.org

Mein Home-Cockpit ... My Simulator Hardware

MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4 --- SI INTEL Core i7-13700F 2.1GHz LGA1700 Tray --- Palit RTX4070 JetStream 12GB DDR6 --- 16GB DDR4 PC4400 --- SSD Patriot 1TB M.2 Viper VP4300 --- Pimax Crystal

Alles fliegt irgendwie,
    fragt sich nur wielange

• I really appreciate the feedback on VR gents. Thank you.

Taking your thoughts into consideration, the first step will be to build that new computer. I'll order the parts over the next two weeks, and then we will build it in February. As I am getting the system and software all tweaked and running like a champ, it will give a bit of time to see what the market does with VR sets, and perhaps even what IPACS comes up with in their next update (VR Hands?). I'll keep an eye open on your feedback too. I salute IPACS for having this forum, what a way to build community. I love it!

I may have some last minute questions on computer specs, but as I had another thread going for that, any of those questions will go there.

Regards

Kenneth

• The reviews I have read so far say that the resolution increase is obvious, and that the screen door effect is almost completely gone. I hope they send out demo units to Best Buys across the country so we can see for ourselves before spending $$$$ on the upgrade.

Oldar - I’m getting it no matter what. VR flying and driving is just too much of a thrill for me not to. As soon as I can get hold of one, plug it in, and try it out, I’ll let you know!

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, 2 dof Motion, Valve Index

• I am very curious what the increase in resolution will do to the performance of AFS2. How much of the overhead will be lost?

• With greater resolution, the need for supersampling decreases, so the difference might not be that much, we'll have to wait for some real world tests.

i5-12600K/MSI RTX 3080/Win11/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+ Beyer DT990 pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Quest Pro/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals

• No, I'm not sure what TIR would add to VR, bu I perhaps misunderstand your question. I've only defined two view points for the Q400, one for the PFD before the pilot position, and one for the AP+console. By assigning back/forward viewpoints to a couple of joystick buttons, I can swiftly get a glance at the instruments and move back to the pilot position. I've added this to the Q400.tdm file. Use with care, AND BACK UP THE FILE BEFORE CHANGING!

<[camera_head][PFD][]

][Tags][cockpit pilot left]>

>

Hey Coffeecup1978,

I copied the q400.tdm file over to my users/aircraft folder into a new q400 folder. I made the camera edits that you posted here in that file and saved it. I don't see any new camera views showing when I load the Q400. Do I need to copy more q400 files over to my users folder?

Regards,

Ray

• Sorry Ray,

I probably should have been a bit more detailed about it. I modified the original tdm file (make sure you make a copy). You will find a section for the view in it, where you can add and modify existing view points. In you install dir under control program files

\Steam\steamapps\common\Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator\aircraft\q400\q400.tmd

I learned how to do it from this steamcommunity.com thread that may also be of interest.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/434030/dis…916184344517770