A curious finding. (VR)

• Hi Pilots!

After few tests i found interesting behavior of AFS2 VR on my PC.

When my CPU is overclocked, i can observe Compositor frames drops very often causing big stutters (but performance debug shows app. frame rate 90fps and 50% headroom).

On the other hand if CPU overclocking is disabled in BIOS, I am not experiencing any Compositor frames drops and Simulator runs very smoothly, surprisingly with the same performance values (app frame rate 90fps, 50%headroom). Tested with graphic settings to HIGH, SS 1.5, Nvidia default settings and using great Swiss scenery.

I am very happy with flying over beutiful mountains for now. I hope this info can be helpful for you friends (maybe for devs too ;)

Only one small defect still remains for me: Application FPS randomly skip one frame below 90 and number of Application Frames dropped is increasing (causing small stutter everytime)

Maybe is it initiated by background scenery loading - i dont know. CPU overclocking doesn't make any difference here.

Is here on forums somebody, who solved that small issue? Maybe is there some way how to add little latency to Sim and create needed room for backrgound scenery caching.

Thank you for any ideas and have a nice weekend. :thumbup:

BTW congratulation to clever developers, I totally love to fly with your Sim!

My specs: i7 3,5GHZ, GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB RAM, Oculus rift, Win 10.

Oculus Rift, i7 3.5GHZ, 16GB Ram, GTX 1070-8GB, SSD, Win 10, Saitek Controllers.

• Hi and welcome to our forum,

Aerofly is more reliant on GPU performance and not so much CPU. With your PC specs you should be running at a fairly solid 90 FPS even with settings set to Ultra.

I would not recommend running Aerofly with any overclocking tools as you might get abnormal results.

You are correct that there is still some headroom for new features so that performance will still be solid.

In certain scenarios (when scenery loads, or nearby airport comes into frame) you will get a slight load which may appear as a stutter. A lot of adjustment went into how scenery loads, this is why you see good performance even in VR. It's no mystery just very good coding :)

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Thanks for quick reply Jeff,

I look forward to new features and updates from You.

AFS2 VR implementation is the best at the market this time.

Despite todays Headsets limitation, you reach really amazing result. Thanks for that.

Good luck with coding of our future :)

Oculus Rift, i7 3.5GHZ, 16GB Ram, GTX 1070-8GB, SSD, Win 10, Saitek Controllers.

• Thanks for quick reply Jeff,

I look forward to new features and updates from You.

AFS2 VR implementation is the best at the market this time.

Despite todays Headsets limitation, you reach really amazing result. Thanks for that.

Good luck with coding of our future :)

You should thank our wizards Torsten and Marc for that :)

The best way to find our latest information is to follow our blog 'IPACS Latest News Blog' pinned to the top of this forum. I do my best keeping the community up to speed with our progress.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Hi huhrut,

thanks for sharing the experience but it made no differences to me.

I was hopping you found Something as I always use the default overclock (4.8ghz) with my system + gpu not limited in power consumption.

But running all stock gave me the same behavior - there a picture of the FPS curve in afterburner :

The last graph "images par secondes, IPS" shows 90fps with lots of stutters (each square is 10 seconds : sometimes 3 stutters in 10 seconds, sometimes no stutter in 30-40 seconds)

I also tried with no monitoring running (afterburner off), with or without any cirrus or cumulus, no difference.

The picture is the same for me when system overclocked.

It's not hudge but still a problem in VR to me with AFFS2

Have nice days. Bye.

• Hi toutenglisse,

thanks for input. There are two different parameters regarding FPS (IPS). Compositor and Application frames dropped. You can run Oculus debug tool and switch to performance view to see booth values in real time.

I have founded differences in Compositor behavior only. My application FPS ("IPS") are the same as yours. No difference with CPU OC On or Off.

I am now free off "Compositor frames drops" if my CPU oveclocking is dissabled. Compositor drops are more disturbing as Application drops for me. But App drops are caused by new scenery files cashing into Sim as Jeff wrote to me before.

I hope for another possible improvement of background scenery files loading style.

Your FPS are disturbed by some of windows background process maybe. Try Latencymon and maybe you will isolate process dropping your flying experience.

Have a nice evening and happy flying!