Using Aerofly FS 2 again

• After not using Aerofly FS 2 for months (mainly because the lack of imho mandatory features like weather) I installed AFS2 again. My main sim, Prepar3D v4, has been expanded with quite a few addons to make the experience even better than it already was and I am having a ball with the Majestic Q400 above FTX Norway together with addons like ProATC, Active Sky, GSX, ChasePlane, Sky Force, PFPX, you name it but... this week I decided to do some low and slow GA flying again and boy... although things look totally awesome (those Active Sky skies with Sky Force clouds alone!) the performance totally sucks!

In the Q400 I am mainly busy with all the instruments and I don't have time, seriously not at all, to look outside except during cruise and at that moment the scenery looks great. I also hardly use TrackIR, apart from during cruise, because ChasePlane is far more convenient to look around with in the cockpit (with some 8 views I created and which I can very easily access using an external keypad). But when I fly GA I am using TrackIR all the time to look around and then you notice how the scenery is popping up and 'morphing' all the time... it is absolutely horrible.

So I decided to reinstall AFS2, for now only with Orbx's LOWI as scenery and boy... how great it is to see everything going by utterly smooth...!

So for now P3D will be my 'system' sim for 'serious' simming and Aerofly FS 2 will be my 'quick VFR flight on an everlasting sunny day' sim.

BTW I also installed AFS2 (with just LOWI) in anticipation of FTX Netherlands. I intend to only fly low and slow there and after experiencing what low and slow leads to in P3D I decided already that AFS2 is the only way to truly appreciate FTX Netherlands: I am sure it will be a stuttering popping mess in P3D. I just can't stand that anymore. Even the rather barren FTX Norway is a popping mess when flying slow already, let alone a detailed addon as FTX Netherlands.

• You are not alone in this 2 sims approach :)

As AFS2 develops perhaps you will work up to a 10,000 post count on this side!

(Clarifying: the AVSIM J van E alter ego spent the equivalent of a working month posting on that forum, look forward to the same input here...)

• I have a similar approach. I also use AFS2 if I simply want to fly around the regions it has or fly the Q400 as I don't have any addons for them in P3D. I don't mind the Rift resolution so I also use AFS2 when I want to immerse myself into the virtual world. But otherwise, for IFR and for Alaskan bush VFR I use P3D. I recently have tried to get back into VFR flying with P3D in Norway and the UK, but it's a shame with all the popping and other little performance issues.

It's unfortunate though that Orbx have expressed that some regions which would be amazing for VFR - from memory Norway, UK, Canada - are too expensive to get good photoimagery for. We'll see what the future holds though. I'm super super keen for PNW.

- Ashley

P3D v4 / AFS2 / XP11 | Intel i7-4790K oc'ed @ 4.6GHz | 16GB RAM | 8GB Nvidia GTX1070 | Windows 10 64-bit | Oculus Rift

• Just finished (yet) another flight around LOWI (which is a huge area, specially when flying the C172) and man... what was I thinking when I said the Rift sucked and AFS2 was lagging behind... Yes, the Rift has a terrible low res and AFS2 still hasn't weather (a.o.) but as others have stated elsewhere, the immersion is totally awesome... I posted in other topics I got so fed up with it all, the low res, the slow development, but in the end the immersion of the Rift in AFS2 it simply great... What was I thinking when I was so negative! Well, I think my main problem was that I wanted everything in one sim... But now I have accepted the fact that that's not possible I can enjoy P3D for its deep simulation and AFS2 for the thrill it gives in VR. I just have to keep switching between the two so I won't get fed up with one or the other, I guess LOL But really, looking down out of the window of my C172 upon the rooftops below me in the valleys around Innsbruck... awesome.

Now I really can't wait for FTX Netherlands!!!

• The incoming Oculus Touch feature shall also further enhance the VR immersiveness. Sure some people will prefer to still use hardware in combination with the touch controllers. Me personally though, I'd like to give it a shot just using the touch for everything and challenge myself a bit more.

Remember about PNW too! That will be stunning to VFR around in AFS2, especially when they bring all their detailed airport sceneries into it.

- Ashley

P3D v4 / AFS2 / XP11 | Intel i7-4790K oc'ed @ 4.6GHz | 16GB RAM | 8GB Nvidia GTX1070 | Windows 10 64-bit | Oculus Rift

• Just finished (yet) another flight around LOWI (which is a huge area, specially when flying the C172) and man... what was I thinking when I said the Rift sucked and AFS2 was lagging behind... Yes, the Rift has a terrible low res and AFS2 still hasn't weather (a.o.) but as others have stated elsewhere, the immersion is totally awesome... I posted in other topics I got so fed up with it all, the low res, the slow development, but in the end the immersion of the Rift in AFS2 it simply great... What was I thinking when I was so negative! Well, I think my main problem was that I wanted everything in one sim... But now I have accepted the fact that that's not possible I can enjoy P3D for its deep simulation and AFS2 for the thrill it gives in VR. I just have to keep switching between the two so I won't get fed up with one or the other, I guess LOL But really, looking down out of the window of my C172 upon the rooftops below me in the valleys around Innsbruck... awesome.

Now I really can't wait for FTX Netherlands!!!

Which is exactly why I find myself using X-Plane's native VR beta to get my helicopter fix. I bought the Bell 412 and Bell 407 for XP several months before discovering the awesome AFS2, and how amazing it is, especially in VR.

But those two helos for XP are incredible! In VR, they are an absolute blast.

Redtail

KFRG, KTEB, KEWR, KLGA

~Straighten up and fly right~

DESKTOP: i7-7700k @5GHz (water cooled), Nvidia GTX 1080Ti FTW3, 32GB DDR4, 500GB SSD, Oculus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Home 64 bit,

TM HOTAS Warthog (large spring removed), Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals, YOKO yoke!

Laptop (gaming): Acer Predator Helios 500- Intel Core i7-8750H @4.1GHz, Nvidia GTX 1070, 32GB DDR4, 256GB SSD/1TB HDD.

Gametrix JetSeat FSE (Flight Sim Edition)-USB Vibrating pad. Nextlevel V3 Motion Platform / Sim cockpit.

• AH.... The two sim approach... And the feature dilemma.

As I type this. I am flying the stock AFS2 Cessna 172 (now on autopilot!), over my geoconverted photoscenery of Winnipeg. Looking at true features on the ground is captivating, But, not a 3d building in sight, nor even a twig. Those I miss (I tried cultivation, but ran into the lack of data issue AGAIN)..

However, half an hour ago, I was flying the A2A Cessna in my trusty old FSX, over the synthetic Winnipeg in the ORBX FTX Global scenery. Thousands of trees, and buildings too. Even the powerlines were begging my attention. But, without those real photos, showing real features I know in real life, something was missing.

In each case, I kept the visibility to around 10nm...

No, I am not about to debate pros and cons of feature lists, because EACH sim has something we love... and something we miss.

I long for the day when one sim (no matter which one) has perfection on all counts. But, maybe that is a pipedream that will be a long time coming. Until then, thank God for simming choices!

- Kenneth