• I almost always fly the Cessna as I am not a real world pilot but like to do things realistically, and with the Cessna that's fairly simple.

I would like to move on though, mainly for extra speed to take in more scenery, and of coursse for something new.

I have looked at guides for other aircraft, and at first glance they are quite daunting! I'm guessing I should be focussing on the Beachcraft, King Air or perhaps the Learjet (no prop lever or whatever sounds like a bonus).

If I want to do things as realistically as the sim allows, what should I be planting my butt in? I do and will of course mess about with all aircraft at times, but I want something new to really learn the ins and outs of too.

• if you're not to much into the larger airliners like A320 or B747 I highly recommend the Q400 and Learjet 45, the LJ45 being the aircraft that is easier to manage as a beginner. The Learjet is still easy to fly, needs a bit more trim than the C172 and is a lot faster. Yet the view is quite good and approach speed is manageable (twice as fast though). You can land it on most strips and it is still quite hands on like the Cessna and it has quite a bit to offer in terms of avionics and for normal flights. For example: you have manual brakes but you have two more things to worry about: spoilers and retractable gear. You have two HSI (horizontal situation indicator) which you can reconfigure and you can make the autopilot follow the flight plan. Plus it has a crew alerting system (CAS) which throws several warnings at you if you do something wrong so it is a great teacher by itself :) And the LJ is really quick, you can really make it fly like a rocket and get to your destination quickly.

After you managed the Learjet the q400 is another step up, with the addition of engine management.

I wrote a full flight tutorial for both of these aircraft if you really want to lern everything.

Learjet 45 flight tutorial: https://www.aerofly.com/aerofly_fs_2/d…raft:learjet_45

Q400 flight tutorial: https://www.aerofly.com/aerofly_fs_2/d…raft:dash8-q400

• Thanks well that settles it then I think, LJ45 it is. Now to work out how to read the tutorial while using VR...

That is a problem indeed. I had to master the Q400 in 2D. First in AFS2 for a while and then I flew the Majestic Q400 for a few months in P3D. It wasn’t until last weekend when I reinstalled AFS2 that I managed to fly the Q400 in VR for the first time. And even now I notice I forget things due to not having a checklist in view....!

• Thanks well that settles it then I think, LJ45 it is. Now to work out how to read the tutorial while using VR...

Good luck with that. When you figure it out, please be sure to let us know how to do it also. :)

Regards,

Ray

• That is a problem indeed. I had to master the Q400 in 2D. First in AFS2 for a while and then I flew the Majestic Q400 for a few months in P3D. It wasn’t until last weekend when I reinstalled AFS2 that I managed to fly the Q400 in VR for the first time. And even now I notice I forget things due to not having a checklist in view....!

I did a review of Airline2Sim training a couple of years ago and received a really nice easy to read one-page (A4) Q400 checklist written by active Q pilots in the UK. This is a slick print hard copy. I would like to make a pdf of it and somehow use the new Oculus Core2/dash update to place it on the copilot seat and pick it up and read it as needed.

Regards,

Ray

• I would like to make a pdf of it and somehow use the new Oculus Core2/dash update to place it on the copilot seat and pick it up and read it as needed.

Sounds cool, so er... "When you figure it out, please be sure to let us know how to do it also." :)

• I just flew past it, was further away than I should be.

In guide it says when reach 500ft engage AP and NAV mode, to me it seems I rotate and I look at my altitude and I am already 700ft plus immediately.

Also regarding speed, it mentions setting MCT but doesn't say how to.

I rotate at about 107. It says then fly about 140 and 180, I assume 140 until 2000ft for the tour then 180? I find it very hard as before I know it after take off (with N1 at 85%) my speed is over 200 knots.

I know it's a great guide, but I am just very much a noob! Any tips on the above would be greatly appreciated please.

• The Learjet is a very fast aircraft, that is for sure. Don't worry about it too much, just pitch up to about 15 degrees and then engage the autopilot right away. It should level off at 2000ft where you have to pull back the throttle to prevent overspeeding. When you feel like you are going too fast just decrease the throttle more and more. The 85% were just meant for takeoff you will reach 2000ft very quickly, from then on out you need to reduce thrust significantly to maintain the 180 kts.

The heading 120 should be about parallel to the route. Maybe I should expand on this a bit more.