Aerofly FS 2 for the Macintosh -- where is the mouse controller option?

• I have just downloaded Aerofly FS 2 for the Macintosh, and discovered there is no way to set up the mouse as the controller for flying, as was possible in Aerofly FS. One forum said you could get the mouse to work by "binding" it to the keyboard, whatever that means (no explanation was given, and the term "bind" does not appear in the controller options offering under Settings).

In my other flight simulators, the mouse controller input can be interpreted as joystick controller input. Both are analog devices, so aileron and elevator inputs can be implemented the same way (rudder input uses keys). That is, moving the mouse forward is the same as pushing a joystick forward, and moving it back the same as pulling the joystick back. Moving the mouse left is the same as moving the joystick left, and moving it to the right the same as moving the joystick right. The app shouldn't care whether the X,Y inputs come from a mouse or a joystick because they are logically equivalent.

So why doesn't this work in Aerofly FS 2 for the Mac? And please don't say "Get a joystick, because it is a better experience" -- I've flown aerobatic aircraft with real stick and rudder controls and a joystick is a lame imitation of the real thing. (Possible exception: fly-by-wire fighter jets and the like, which I have no interest in flying.) The mouse is actually more natural as a controller, and takes up less real estate on your computer desk.

So does anyone know how I can get the mouse to work as a flight controller?

TIA,

Adak

• Mouse functionality is not configurable in Aerofly. The mouse will operate for clicking buttons, turning dials, etc. but not for controls.

You can bind commands to your keyboard if you don't want to use a joystick or controller.

It's highly recommended to use a joystick or controller for Aerofly FS2.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Yes! Thank you for articulating this question concisely and clearly! I struggle with explaining the same thing, but feel the exact same as you. It isn't just Mac users that suffer in Aerofly FS 2, I am on Windows, and the same issue occurs.

I agree completely, the majority of users always just offer the (less than helpful) advice of "just go buy a joystick, your experience will be WAY better". Or as mentioned, say keys can be used on the keyboard/mouse, but never offer a clear explanation of how this can be done.

I have never found using a joystick to be the better option over a mouse and keyboard for any flying-themed game, as I find most computer joysticks don't really give the impression of flying a real-world aircraft in the first place, coupled with the fact that most of us don't have $1000s of dollars worth of other gear to go with it, like pedals, throttles, control panels, multiple monitors, high end gaming systems etc etc.

Couple this with the fact that most commercial or civilian aircraft don't even use joysticks, rather yokes, makes buying a joystick seem every bit as realistic as using a mouse and keyboard.

Also I couldn't agree more with Adak, why can a mouse's multiple axis control not simply be used as replacement for a joystick's multiple axis control?

In my case, I am relatively new to flight SIMs, so maybe I am not understanding something very fundamental. But to me, I would just like simple keyboard and mouse support so that I can familiarize myself with the game first, using a familiar control device(s). In this way I can decide if flight SIMs are even something I want to continue playing. I'm new enough to the genre, that I don't even know if I will like them anymore than just to fly in a casual way. I don't want to buy expensive joysticks, throttles, etc etc, just to find out I'll never use them in a few weeks.

• Also I couldn't agree more with Adak, why can a mouse's multiple axis control not simply be used as replacement for a joystick's multiple axis control?

Because you need the mouse to push buttons, setup radio's, switch the lights off, etc. etc. etc. You can't do that AND control the plane at the same time.

most of us don't have $1000s of dollars worth of other gear to go with it

I don't want to buy expensive joysticks, throttles, etc etc, just to find out I'll never use them in a few weeks.

I have been simming for decades and use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick which can be bought brand new for around 35 bucks. That's all you'll need. You really don't need to spend 1000 dollars or and you really don't need to have seperate throttles or rudders or whatever. A simple joystick will do and once you are used to it you will never want to go back to using the mouse.

• Yes! Thank you for articulating this question concisely and clearly! I struggle with explaining the same thing, but feel the exact same as you. It isn't just Mac users that suffer in Aerofly FS 2, I am on Windows, and the same issue occurs.

Thanks, CJB -- I am glad I am not the only one that feels this way.

• Because you need the mouse to push buttons, setup radio's, switch the lights off, etc. etc. etc. You can't do that AND control the plane at the same time.

Sure you can. Just set up a function key or keystroke that toggles between the flight and instrument control modes. Besides, what makes you think people are all that interested in pushing buttons and tuning radios? I don't need any of that to fly the Corsair and do everything I want, which is aerobatics and cross country flying using dead reckoning. Yeah, pretty Old School, I know. But the intimacy of connection with the flying is lost without the mouse. I have used joysticks, and they are not an improvement. Indeed, they are just another unnecessary device getting in my way.