Best controller for VR/WMR

• The Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS I purchased to use with FS2 isn't working out as well as I'd hoped for flying in VR/WMR. Since WMR controllers don't work in FS2 yet, pretty much everything you need to do while in VR has to be such that you can do it by "braille". The TM16000 (sans HOTAS throttle) has 18 programmable functions, which should be enough in most situations. But I'm wondering if I should add the HOTAS throttle option (which adds more buttons), or go with something like the Logitech Yoke system. I prefer to fly single engine aircraft that use a sick. I use trims for different conditions (like in a real airplane -- of which I have a pilot's license) -- cruise, slow flying, landings, etc. There seems to be a need for pretty much the following functionality at your fingertips while in VR mode: A/E/R trims, flaps, gear, brakes, internal views, follow views, external views, autopilot on/off, HUD. Optional: pause, landmarks.

What are you VR flyers finding is the best way for controlling things while "under the VR hood"?

Thanks.

p.s. Yes, I know about the TM HOTAS Warthog controller, but need to keep things within a "working man" budget. :o)

Edited once, last by RoyPettit (January 30, 2018 at 1:57 AM).

• I know this is still up there, but the predecessor to the Warthog controller was the HOTAS Cougar, and it is still a great choice. Loaded with buttons, but it really takes on a life of its own with the controller software. If you want to take it to an extreme, you can use the different functions to have live multiple layouts that give you an incredible amount of options. My FS2 just has a few preprogrammed functions with most of the rest being button and axis assignments with the game. This year I upgraded my pedals from CH Pro to the new Thrustmaster, and it's been a great add-on. Much better resolution, silky smooth operation, and toe brakes to boot.

• RoyPettit - you could also look into the USB button boxes and expanders. There are threads over on xsimulator (net) about them where people build cockpits. I’d post links but it seems those get deleted here. But if you don’t mind a little DIY, and can handle a soldering iron, you can rig up switches, levers, and all sorts of things to make the journey in VR more enjoyable.

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, 2 dof Motion, Valve Index

• I just added an xbox 360 controller for VR. I'm using a Saitek/Cessna Yoke, Pedals, and Trim wheel which all looks just like the C172. I use a Saitek x-52 Pro on my windowed system which has a lot more button, and sliders. I am still fiddling around changing assignments but it is cheap and easy to use. I had to add a tether because I keep placing it on the copilots seat followed by the thunk as it hit the floor. After 3 or 4 times, I drilled a small hole in the bottom the battery pack and screwed in the smallest eye hook I could find, Attached a tether than came with something else and now I can let it dangle when I am not using it.

The Magic Hands are in work so that may be a better answer.

Regards,

Ray

• Thanks to all who have responded.

A friend loaned me a Saito (now Logitech) X-52 (which he used on DCS World until getting a TM Warthog) and I found it way overkill for FS2, and difficult to use with the WMR headset on (too many switches/buttons/choices). That's why I went with the TM16000, which actually has braille buttons on it designed for VR use, and only 18 choices to memorize. I guess I'll hang in there with that and hope Magic Hands streamlines the VR experience.

P.S. I've used a ton of forums since getting my first Apple2 in 1978, and you guys are great. Rapid responses and good answers. :thumbup:

• What are you VR flyers finding is the best way for controlling things while "under the VR hood"?

Thanks.

p.s. Yes, I know about the TM HOTAS Warthog controller, but need to keep things within a "working man" budget. :o)

Read my link in signature :)

mfg, Jens ... Flight-Sim.org

Mein Home-Cockpit ... My Simulator Hardware

MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4 --- SI INTEL Core i7-13700F 2.1GHz LGA1700 Tray --- Palit RTX4070 JetStream 12GB DDR6 --- 16GB DDR4 PC4400 --- SSD Patriot 1TB M.2 Viper VP4300 --- Pimax Crystal

Alles fliegt irgendwie,
    fragt sich nur wielange

• There seems to be a need for pretty much the following functionality at your fingertips while in VR mode: A/E/R trims, flaps, gear, brakes, internal views, follow views, external views, autopilot on/off, HUD. Optional: pause, landmarks.

What are you VR flyers finding is the best way for controlling things while "under the VR hood"?

Probably nothing you want to hear but since you asked ;) I have a very basic Logitech Extreme 3D joystick and Saitek Rudder pedals. The joystick is used for elevator trim and throttle only (well, obviously also for moving the plane around) and the rudder pedals for brakes and rudder. Everything else I simply do with the mouse in the VC which works like a charm (and makes things more immersive imho). (I am curious to see how well the touch controllers work.) I never change views in any of my sims while flying because I wouldn't be able to do so in real life anyway so I don't need buttons for that. ;)

• What are you VR flyers finding is the best way for controlling things while "under the VR hood"?

Magic hands will definitely help a lot with great immersion but if you are DIY person, make your self a simple panel like this.

I find it amazing in VR, no mater what plane I fly. Muscle memory is great feature of human body though;)

All this (panel only, not the yoke) is fed into one controller board and covers most of your interactive needs.

Jay

Over and Out

Jay

• +1 for getting the TM16000 throttle to go with your joystick as it will add more buttons under your fingers - I have the full set and also like the rudder pedals with toe brakes. You may also want to consider the VoiceAttack software for handling things you don't want to map to your controllers.

• Very cool! You are right -- much of VR flying involves muscle memory (just like real). Zed suggested USB button boxes which I had already considered to expand the functionality of the TM16000 joystick. What you have done is along those lines, but better. I love your throttle setup. Even a starter switch! :thumbup:

• Very cool! You are right -- much of VR flying involves muscle memory (just like real). Zed suggested USB button boxes which I had already considered to expand the functionality of the TM16000 joystick. What you have done is along those lines, but better. I love your throttle setup. Even a starter switch! :thumbup:

the starter switch is yet to be made but it has reserved 5 inputs on the card;)

Check it out, it's super easy to use. Just google up "Leo Bodnar - BU0836X". Allows for use of push buttons, toggle switches, HAT switch, pots and rotary encoders.

Jay

Over and Out

Jay

• Thanks to all of you who provided input to this decision! :thumbup:

I've ordered the ThrustMaster TWCS throttle to pair with the TM16000 joystick. I wasted $15 by not ordering them together, but it's only money!

This gives a total of 9 axes, 30 buttons and two 8-way PoVs via two hands that can be left on the controllers. Now I need tons-o-practice to build up the muscle memory to exploit the functionality!

I'm also doing a "mod" to the joystick to reduce the spring tension.

Thanks again!