ModelConverterX support for AeroFly

• Hi,

I tried it again, but didn't get the object to show up. Once it was a direct import and export as a scenery (no explicit call of the IPACS converter but from within ModelconverterX). Another experiment was by converting the textures (some are indeed not power of 2) using the materials converter.

The result in both cases is nil, no object in the sim. I've zipped up the resulting files and the Modelconverter log file. Perhaps some kind soul with a bit of spare time can try the same example object

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/70a7bfd0…Winzerla-Turm-2

If the object works for Arno, the issue is certainly on my end.

I only postprocessed the provided untitled.tsc file by inserting the coordinates (11.5862954 50.8971190) twice. Maybe the tsc file nees more postprocessing?

Thanks for any help and kind regards, Michael

Files

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• Michael,

Please wait a little more for Arno to finish checking his new version of MCX a little more. He is fixing some issues with texture generation and geometry that was previously animated. The BMPs need to be 24-bit and possibly be flipped vertically (I use DxtBmp as a tool to accomplish that).

Dave W.

• Michael,

There is a newer release of development MCX. The main thing for texture output is that the result must be a 24-bit BMP texture for the "diffuse" or main color textures. The bump map and specular can be 32-bit textures. I would generate the TGI directly as an export and edit the TSC file yourself as an alternative - see if that works and then retry the export scenery that generates the TSC file. I have had to "flip" the textures vertically with DxtBmp for my efforts at doing a test convert of FSX aircraft and Arno has fixed the problems that I was having with geometry mangling so I am happy at the results.

Here is my workflow:

Steps for moving FSX/P3D model to AFS2 using version of Model Converter X from fsdeveloper.com - (if not a test, check with Author for permission!)

1) Copy entire aircraft model Simobjects folder to work folder (e.g. c172)

2) create an AFS2 Subfolder for the results

3) Load modelxxx.mdl in model directory

4) Using LOD editor, delete all lower levels

5) Use animation editor to position animated elements to desired value

(e.g. select "gear" only items, then Fix Selected Animations - need to FIX ALL of the rest)

6) Use Transform editor to move model to wheels at ground (Z axis probably)

7) Use Material Editor to remove alpha from textures that use alpha for reflection and then

generate ( 24- bit )BMP (NOT DxtBMP) versions of ALL textures and save (Power of 2 - yes)

7B) Invert all textures in DxtBmp - NOTE: THis may not be needed with a newer release

8) Export Object to MDL - choose new name - this is just to SAVE all the changes you have made

9) Exit MCX and then Import new MDL - check model using just BMP textures

10) Optionally export to AC3D model format "AC" in order to edit the model

11) Export model to TGI format (name extension must be "tgi" )

12) Copy tgi and all BMP textures to Content Converter build folder and build scenery area after adding new object into TSC file

• Michael,

There is a newer release of development MCX. The main thing for texture output is that the result must be a 24-bit BMP texture for the "diffuse" or main color textures. The bump map and specular can be

Thanks for the step-by-step procedure, much appreciated. I'll see if it will help with my case. Anyway, it's still quite intricate, isn't it? I was in hope for something a little more handy, perhaps to contribute a section to the Aerofly Wiki to make it better known to the general public, but at present it seems too complicated yet.

But I'll stay on the ball with this.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• You did it, Arno. I retried now and then and with the today's build - success! The chimney is where it belongs:

[Blocked Image: http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2018/02/28/hkw_working.jpg]

No texture conversion, neither file type fiddling nor power of something. Just straightforward import the model, exports as scenery, adapt the .tsc file and voila it's there. Couldn't be more simple!

You are the man! I am a dedicated fan of simple tools to be used by ordinary people (like me) and your converter fits the bill perfectly!

Thanks a lot and kind regards, Michael

• Let's all stop by at fsdeveloper.com and really thank Arno - all freeware and excellent!

Model Converter X forum:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/…x.442088/page-2

ScenProc forum:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/…c.441173/page-3

Actual download - there are several tools but ModelConverterX.exe is what you generally want. Import the model (many formats - FSX is BGL or MDL, Sketchup is DAE)and then export scenery as Aerofly FS2 scenery (*.tsc) after using the Object Placement ICON (position crosshairs then ADD, adjust heading ) to pick an accurate spot to place the model. You then copy all the elements (ttx and tmb) to your existing scenery\places\yourfolder and edit the already existing TSC file with the new few lines of the TSC file just generated.

https://www.scenerydesign.org/development-releases/

Edited 2 times, last by whitav8 (February 28, 2018 at 12:51 PM).

• Let's all stop by at fsdeveloper.com and really thank Arno - all freeware and excellent!

Model Converter X forum:

Done, thanks for the reminder. Plus I'll send a little donation. And thanks for pointing to the Object Placement Icon which I was not aware of - just another goodie.

Kind regards, Michael

• Question guys: I tried this for the first time today; successfully exported a bgl object and placed it in my scenery. One issue: the object is about 500 times too big! What happened and how do I fix it?

=O

I suspect FSX/P3D objects are simply oversized in general.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• HiFlyer and KenR297,

"I suspect FSX/P3D objects are simply oversized in general."

Not at all (the coordinates are in meters) - see the fsdeveloper forum:

I used several FSX/P3D BGL and MDL objects as a test of the newest (2/28/2018) MCX to AFS2 conversion. When you load in the BGL, check the overall size by

bring up the Object Information and checking the bounding box (meters).

There must be something strange about the object that KenR297 chose - please post a link

Dave W.

• Thanks for the replies. I spent the afternoon today converting bgl files (objects) for my local scenery using MCX. I ran into one other object that was oversized and simply removed it, as I did the first building I was referring to here. No matter what I attempted it always ended up in the right location, but was extremely oversized. The boundary box for the object, if I have the right info, shows this:

min x -136 y -136 z 0 // max x 136 y 136 z 990

I see no way or option to resize this object so I will just assume I cannot use it in my scenery; instead I will use a cultivated bldg. and set the number of floors to coincide with the actual bldg. height at that location. Not complaining, it's a treat to be able to create my own scenery for AFS2 and if a few objects won't work properly, well that's OK.

Let me take this opportunity to thank you guys for all of this once again, and a special thanks to Arno for these programs that gives us the option of adding objects to AFS2.

I now have my local area (and a large one at that) in 1m resolution, with cultivation of business bldgs., some trees ( have an issue with that because my OSM data has few forest areas so trees are sparse), lighted roadways (I use half of the available roads to keep performance way up), and now many local objects as well. I am very pleased with my results up to this point and will try to improve the tree situation some how, although there is no way I am going to place individual trees. That is just not feasible.

Thanks again! :)

Ken

• Ken,

Yes - your choice of BGL buildings is an issue - since you said that the bounding box was as follows:

min x -136 y -136 z 0 // max x 136 y 136 z 990

Since that is in meters - you are talking about a very large building ( 800 feet by 3000 feet tall!)

Question: where are you getting these BGLs?? A good place to get BGL test objects is C:\P3Dv4 (or FSX) root folder\Scenery\Global\scenery

NOTE: The MCX grid is 10 meters

So you can easily scale these objects with the transform ICON in MCX which can scale, move, and rotate the whole object before you export. Also, with the animation editor, you can fix any animation for static use. MCX can do a lot of model editing but sometimes a 3D model tool like AC3D ($89) is required.

Glad you are having success!

Dave W.

• Dave,

My BGL files are from FSX scenery; in this case from scenery for my home area.

I will look for the transform icon in MCX, but I thought I had gone through all of the available tools and do not remember seeing one that allowed scaling. I will look again.

Thanks for the tip!

Ken

• One more question: has draw distance for cultivation objects been reduced? I have noticed that cultivated buildings do not appear to be visible out to the horizon now and wonder if a change was made for performance reasons, or am I mistaken?

Ken

• While I'm truly mind blown by both scenProc and MCX, and while I had some success with the latter, I seem to get this one issue, If one of the supporting textures from e.g. a sketchup model contains a filename with capitals, the content converter (not MCX) seems to reject it. E.g. in the example below there is a file called rialto_rialto_Concrete_etc.bmp , but the converter seems to pick up that it is with a small 'C', and asking for a file with capitals in it. If I have models with all smalls, there is now issue. I'm don't know if there is an issue with the content_converter, or if I could suggest an enhancement to MCX where it converts files to small? or maybe something I'm not doing right?

-coffeecup

• Hi Arno,

may I point to a rotation problem in MCX in relation to sketchup 3D models and AC3D.

1. Rotation of the model after AC3D-Import

2. Actual situation in Google Maps/Earth

3. Necessary rotation in AC3D 180 degrees

For aerofly the X axis points to the north.

I don't know whether you add a rotation to the object when outputting it to AC3D.

And it's no problem at all to rotate the object within AC3D.

But if someone wants to use it directly, it has to be rotated 180 degrees.

Thanks for your amazing tools

Rodeo

• Hello arnog,

I am using MCX v. 1.4.0.0 DEV 19.03.2018.

Sucessfully imported an object from SketchUp.

Optimized it and set the location:

Leaving the box with X and export scenery. All works well except:

The .toc file shows a 2 0 0 coordinate.

If I replace it with the correct coordinates according the location picture above, all is ok and the object is shown in AFS2 properly.

Thank you very much for this wonderfull tool which really lowers the step for less experienced people like me to generate authentic scenery.

Greetings,

Thomas

Cheers, Thomas

Edited once, last by TomSimMuc (March 20, 2018 at 4:27 PM).

• I converted a few models and can confirm this. I input the coordinates manually later, but wouldn't mind if MCX could do the work, as the info is obviously there.

Kind regards, Michael