Large cultivation area causes stutters and mini slide show w/ 970 card

• So what is the priority of sliders to reduce to bring back the buttery smoothness- pre cultivation. I did notice the smaller cultivation area is smoother than a larger cultivation area.

I am using an i7-4790 @4 GHz 16 GB mem, 64 bit win7 with a 970 card.

I am already back to High or less for the graphics sliders, shadows at the 2nd lowest setting. I am just looking for the priority of the FPS eaters, starting with the hungry ones first. :/

Regards,

Ray

• Is this in VR or not?

The biggest cause for performance issues is the 'render scale factor' setting for VR.

In 2D with a 970 card you should be somewhere around 50-60 FPS with settings around Ultra.

Of course, users with lesser GPU's will see some minor performance issues with areas of many objects.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• So what is the priority of sliders to reduce to bring back the buttery smoothness- pre cultivation. I did notice the smaller cultivation area is smoother than a larger cultivation area.

I am using an i7-4790 @4 GHz 16 GB mem, 64 bit win7 with a 970 card.

I am already back to High or less for the graphics sliders, shadows at the 2nd lowest setting. I am just looking for the priority of the FPS eaters, starting with the hungry ones first. :/

Regards,

Ray

Ouch... I thought AFS2 had enough headroom to guarantee us >90 FPS no matter what would still have to be added to it (ATC, weather, deep systems) but now some houses already bring performance down...?

• Ouch... I thought AFS2 had enough headroom to guarantee us >90 FPS no matter what would still have to be added to it (ATC, weather, deep systems) but now some houses already bring performance down...?

It does. With a 980m GPU with all settings on ultra you can get around 120 FPS in 2D.

There is plenty of headroom for future add-on features.

During extensive testing in heavy load areas the performance is solid, especially with a 1080 GPU.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Is this in VR or not?

The biggest cause for performance issues is the 'render scale factor' setting for VR.

In 2D with a 970 card you should be somewhere around 50-60 FPS with settings around Ultra.

Of course, users with lesser GPU's will see some minor performance issues with areas of many objects.

This is a non-VR pc but does drive triple monitors. I’m not concerned about FPS as much as the slide show effect. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Ray

• So.... what do we mean by "large area"?

Are we trying to load a whole state at once, or something smaller? :)

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I am looking forward to FTX Netherlands. Now the Netherlands is a small country but a lot bigger than anything else that’s available for AFS2 right now when it comes to scenery covered with cultivation...! I guess FTX Netherlands will be a very important test case when it comes to how AFS2 will perform in the future if more features are added. A VERY important test case...!

• I wouldn't be too worried, myself. :)

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• So.... what do we mean by "large area"?

Are we trying to load a whole state at once, or something smaller? :)

The area is in nw Germany and the cultivation area is about 25 mi x 25 mi using Rodeo’s cultivation tutorial file and OSM data to generate too file. Very sparsely populated area, mostly plowed or grassy fields near the coast. Flying the Learjet at 3,000 feet.

Graphics set to High. Stutter, stutter.

Regards,

Ray

• I am looking forward to FTX Netherlands. Now the Netherlands is a small country but a lot bigger than anything else that’s available for AFS2 right now when it comes to scenery covered with cultivation...! I guess FTX Netherlands will be a very important test case when it comes to how AFS2 will perform in the future if more features are added. A VERY important test case...!

I too am looking forward the the FTX AFS2 Netherlands. I am also eager to see Aerosoft’s AFS2 Helgoland. Especially the animated jogger and the spinning windmills. Maybe some flying seagulls.

Regards,

Ray

• I know you wouldn’t. ;)

Simple logic... I've flown over dense sceneries like NY and Chicago at the max rate my monitor is set for: 144 fps at max settings. with no issues not caused by the buggy clouds.

I've flown over KEGE at max settings and exceeded 300fps.

So I'm not really worried yet about a possibly problematic 25x25 area when there are so many other things that could be at issue in a user made scenery.....

As for the Netherlands, its hard to believe Orbx is going to release something so important with major issues, but since I'm now an Orbx Beta-tester, I guess I'll find out for myself soon. ;)

Devons rig

• What major issues?

Regards,

Ray

No Orbx scenery to date has had notable framerate issues, at least for me. There have however been occasional issues to be resolved in test scenery. It's more logical to assume there may be some hopefully soon-to-be-resolved glitch in the test cultivation in this thread than to extrapolate from the information currently available that this might portend some issue with large scale cultivation or upcoming large-scale Orbx sceneries, especially with already released sceneries like Chicago showing few such issues.

Devons rig

Edited 3 times, last by HiFlyer (February 5, 2018 at 1:48 AM).

• Graphics set to High. Stutter, stutter.

I’m not concerned about FPS as much as the slide show effect. :rolleyes:

Ouch... I thought AFS2 had enough headroom to guarantee us >90 FPS no matter what would still have to be added to it (ATC, weather, deep systems) but now some houses already bring performance down...?

I was more responding to the combined impact of these statements.

Devons rig