• IPACS: Is there any way to terminate your requirement for SteamVR when using AFS2 with VR/WMR? I am discovering that 98% of my problems are actually related to SteamVR, and not AFS2. RIght now I can no longer run AFS2 in VR mode (worked fine yesterday). When I launch AFS2 from within the Steam envelope/environment as usual, it goes directly to FS2 in non-VR mode, then my system hangs and I have to reboot. Steam forgot I already have SteamVR installed, and re-installed it again today (not as an update). I'm going to have to spend more non-productive time trying to get FS2/VR working again. As I think back I realize that I've spent dozens of man hours fussing/hassling with Steam et-al. The FS2 part works great. If you could divorce from SteamVR, like X-plane, DCS World, and the upcoming Flyinside Flight Simulator, the end users would probably be much happier campers (spend more time flying). I know you'll probably say "Too much work", but please consider it. Maybe switch over to the Vulcan API? SteamVR is the Achilles Heel of AFS2/VR (from my perspective). :(

• SteamVR is required for all users of the Vive headset (some other headsets may also require this to be running as well). This is not our doing but that of Steam, Valve, and HTC.

If you are using Oculus Rift you do not need SteamVR installed or running as is uses (-othervr) exe dll

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Any of the other headsets will likely have no choice but to use SteamVR, unless (like Oculus) designs their own API specifically for their headset so that SteamVR isn't required.

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• I would focus on making sure SteamVR is at the latest version. I wouldn't uninstall Steam in general as it's likely not the problem.

What problems are you encountering here? Maybe we can help.

Regards,

Jeff

• I would focus on making sure SteamVR is at the latest version. I wouldn't uninstall Steam in general as it's likely not the problem.

What problems are you encountering here? Maybe we can help.

In order to launch FS2 in WMR mode RELIABLY from my desktop I have to do the following:

1. Reboot PC

2. Launch Steam

3. Choose Library

4. Select FS2

5. Select Play

6. Select use SteamVR

7. Wait for WMR, SteamVR, and FS2 to all get launched.

8. Put on my WMR headset and play.

FS2 then runs fine. Doing anything other than the above leads to a crash of FS2

Today, when I do step-7, FS2 gets launched not in VR mode. The WMR container does not get launched, the SteamVR container does not get launched. FS2 gets launched immediately. Sometimes my system hangs as FS2 scenery is being loaded. The only option is to turn off the PC.

Yesterday I bumped up the Memory overclocking from 2666 to 2900. Then I ran a bunch of exercise/burn-in type programs to make sure no probs, including Intel ETU and Passmark Burn-In and FS2 (but not in VR). I will go back to 2666 on the RAM and see what happens.

• I uninstalled SteamVR, deleted everything in the Windows registry "steamvr", deleted anything on disks "steamvr", uninstalled WMR for SteamVR, rebooted, then reinstalled everything SteamVR, went through the 8-step procedure above, and it worked (could fly FS2 in WMR headset). Restored RAM speed to 2900mhz and retested. Everything worked as "normal". Can fly FS2 in WMR headset.

Cross off another day of my life.

:rolleyes:

• Well I'm glad that you got it working again.

If I had a nickel for every time everything went perfectly, I'd have 10 cents :)

Regards,

Jeff

• Sounds like a good reason to buy Oculus when I'm ready to jump into VR. I know IPACS cannot say "Use product A over product B", but this seems to be a potentially important issue.

- Kenneth

Roy seems to have had a problem with a WMR headset. I fly with the Vive and it works perfectly in SteamVR. No problems at all.

His setup works great now that he has reinstalled things. It's hard to conclude from one person's experience - which now works properly - that one or the other headset is the better choice.

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, 2 dof Motion, Valve Index

• Roy, don't know if this will help going forward but my WMR routine is to:

1) Click on Steam desktop icon

2) Click on "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR" desktop icon

3) Go back to Steam and select Aerofly from game library

4) then click on the "PLAY IN VR" button

• Hello,

Can everyone give the brand/model of his/her WMR headset ?

Any suggestions for a better headset than another ?

Thanks

HP Spectre X360 15bl100xx

i7-8550U / 16 GB SDRAM DDR4-2400 / SSD PCIe NVMe M.2 512 GB

NVIDIA GeForce MX150 2GB

Samsung LC32H711QEUXEN 32" Curved Monitor

TrackIR PRO