Image tile coordinates

• Hi all,

Maybe I didn't look correctly, but I read in the SDK that the different levels of the imagery have fixed locations (first level one image for the entire earth, etc). But is there a specification of this system somewhere? It would be useful to know how I can calculate the borders of each tile.

I'm asking because I have a (not yet released) feature in scenProc that can grab images from a WMS and export them to a photo scenery. I would like to give this a try for AeroFly as well.

Arno

• Hi all,

Maybe I didn't look correctly, but I read in the SDK that the different levels of the imagery have fixed locations (first level one image for the entire earth, etc). But is there a specification of this system somewhere? It would be useful to know how I can calculate the borders of each tile.

I'm asking because I have a (not yet released) feature in scenProc that can grab images from a WMS and export them to a photo scenery. I would like to give this a try for AeroFly as well.

I think I just saw something regarding this here: Scenery Loading Distance

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• as I understand, I use that to find the number of cell (C# code)

Code
    int nb_RowOrCol = (int)Math.Pow(2, Level);

And that to find the width and height of a Cell (in degre):

Code
    double Cell_width = 360.0 / nb_RowOrCol;
    *** WRONG *** Not so easy *** double Cell_Heigth = 180.0 / nb_RowOrCol; *** Not so easy ***

but may be (or surely ;) ) I'm wrong somewhere...cause still have a name discrepancy for "y" when I use code given by our friend Rodeo with lower left corner of each Cell.

https://tof.cx/image/yKfO0

Level 5 try of .kml generated

Edited once, last by vogel69 (February 9, 2018 at 10:07 AM).

• Finally, I was wrong ;) It may be obvious for those accustomed to manipulate Projection systems but it is more appropriate to do the calculations directly on the AFS2's WorldGrid (65536 x 65536) and then use Rodeo/IPACS's code for calculate latitude / longitude of each points of the grid.. thank for the code Rodeo :)

AFS2 Level 4 worldGrid in GoogleEarth:

https://tof.cx/image/yrFWe

AFS2 Level 9 worldGrid over Europe in GoogleEarth:

https://tof.cx/image/yGLLD

Edited 2 times, last by vogel69 (February 9, 2018 at 6:44 PM).

• Of course with pleasure, i could give you a .kml file for low level and I though to do a small tool to generate a kml grid from bounding box coordinate or boundaries from a simple kml polygon. Could be usefull to generate "area.kml" for FSTiles... just wait a little please, because I don't have access to my PC this week. ;)

• More fun with KML.

I was trying to understand the tile name convention. I think I saw something somewhere but could not find it again, so I decided to map it out for myself and came up with this in Google Earth.

Starting with a level 9 tile, the scale is slightly changed for ease of calculating corners and moved over the ocean for background clarity. The actual tile names are for a tile on the eastern edge of the CH DLC

cheers

Stu

tile_names.kml.txt

i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz | ASUS Z170-A | 16Gb DDR4 | Samsung SSD 950 PRO NVME M.2 256GB | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on GP102-A GPU | Oculus CV1 | Windows 10

• Hi all, I think having this available in Google Earth will be truly the best solution, but if it's useful to anyone else I made an Excel tool that works similarly too. You can download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zv3clcl5i6v5…_v1.6.xlsm?dl=1

When you first open it in Excel, it will have a sheet that tells you how to use it. Click the tab at the bottom that says "User Interface" to get to the actual tool.

Here is a video tutorial as well:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The way it works is you can give it any coordinate in latitude and longitude, and tell it what geoconvert level to use (9 to 15 but it works from 0 to 16 actually). It will then calculate the NW and SE corner coordinates of the AeroFly grid cell that contains your coordinate, at the specified geoconvert level.

You can also tell it to add more cells to right/left/top/bottom to expand the area, and the final output coordinates will always be snapped to the AeroFly grid at the level you chose. The purpose of the tool is so that you can download precise areas in FSET without ever having to use masks, and without downloading extra scenery that you don't need if you're working at high detail levels. It also has a button for copying that will paste directly into FSET (note you'll have to enable the macro for this to work). You can also use this tool to precisely repair some of your scenery if (like me) you made a bunch using masks that you now regret! ^^

As far as I know it all works correctly but if you run into issues let me know. Hope it's useful to some of you!

EDIT: link is back up, fixed error with pasting into GeoConvertHelper, double-checked math, protected cells to prevent accidental edits.
    EDIT2: V1.2 fixes a compatibility issue with older versions of Excel. Should work for Excel 2007 and newer now.

EDIT3: V1.3 fixes a bug occurring if you gave coordinates that were *exactly* on the intersection points of the AeroFly grid.

EDIT4: V1.45 adds a button that lets you paste coordinates from FSET to the input boxes with one click

EDIT5: V1.5 fixes a pasting error from FSET with certain longitude values

EDIT6: V1.6 corrects for an FSET bug when pasting on systems that use commas for decimal marks (1,00 vs 1.00)

Edited 14 times, last by qwerty42 (March 11, 2018 at 12:11 AM).

• Hello I want to give say thanks to all the moderators and members for their hard work and friendly help.

I am in south Georgia (US) and working with the FSEarthtiles. I just started Sunday and it's beginning to make sense.

I want the highest res images I can locate (which I am not sure where to download from ..FSET or USGS?).

Anyway I came across this site that show levels of zoom and tiles thought it might interest the community or even help.

http://www.maptiler.org/google-maps-co…nds-projection/

If someone has some good setup for FSET to get really high res please share

God Bless^^

• Hi and welcome to our forum.

You will get higher resolution from FSET but the overall resolution is solely based on the imagery added for that area.

In using our geoconvert tool with FSET be sure to use the texture size of around -1 (0.25m) and go up to level 15 when making your geoconvert file.

To get a better perspective about the use of our tools be sure to check out the wiki HERE

Be sure to look under 'Scenery Development'

By the way, both myself and Jan (Jet-pack) are both full members of IPACS (even though our forum titles say moderator) and will be here to assist you where needed. The community here is also very responsive on the forum as well.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Thanks Jeff,

I have been pouring over the forums and wiki and I seem to have a handle on the process of my scenery.

My deal is some satellite images are clearer and closer to earth than others.

what or where is the best resource for getting good high res tiles for towns and airports

Again Thanks

• Well that's a subjective question. USGS seems to have some decent orthos but you won't get too much better than 1m, then through FSET pulling 'Virtual Earth' you will get a very high resolution but the orthos are inconsistent.

If you want to take the time there are many States and/or Counties that have GIS groups that make their GIS ortho data public and for free, this data is usually very good but difficult and time consuming to obtain exactly with you want.

As for other Countries, the data becomes less reliable and at times less usable.

So, the short answer here is that unless you wish to spend a lot of money for high quality ortho images your choices vary in availability and quality.

Hope this helps.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Hi,

As promised, here is a small utility that should help you generate an Aerofly FS 2 grid in .kml format.

[Blocked Image: http://vogel69.free.fr/AFS2/afs2GridGeneratorv1.jpg]

How to:

setup the area of the grid, choose the level of the grid with the slider on the left then click on the "generate" button at the bottom

Two ways to define the boundaries of the grid:
    1 / you manually enter the boundaries of the area to be generated using the "Textbox".
    2 / to be more accurate, you could drag a file containing a single .kml polygon that will define the area for which the grid will be generated.

... you will get a .kml file containing polygons for each box of the grid with some practical information when you click on it on google earth.

Namely, that by naming your polygons: "Area.kml" and drag and drop it on the window of FSEarthTiles, you will automatically have your working area in FSET updated. ;)

good use.

AFS2 Grid Generator v1.0 (see attachement)

(.Net Framework 4.5 needed)

Workflow example:

Step 1: Create your working area as a polygon in GoogleEarth and save it as .kml file

[Blocked Image: http://vogel69.free.fr/AFS2/afs2grid_step2.jpg]

Step 2: Drag & Drop your new .kml file on AFS2 Grid Generator:

[Blocked Image: http://vogel69.free.fr/AFS2/afs2grid_step3.jpg]

Step 3: Here is the grid in google earth !

[Blocked Image: http://vogel69.free.fr/AFS2/afs2grid_step4.jpg]

tips: Some usefull informations are available when you click on a cell

[Blocked Image: http://vogel69.free.fr/AFS2/afs2grid_step4_detail.jpg]