Image tile coordinates

• hello pmb     

I go into the google earth pro set my 1st kml file to a large area at level 9 tiles.

I also converted this area at the level 9 and 11 in geoconvert, When I then saved this area as my grid in vogel69 gridfile

I go and save a level 11 tile in fset to download and convert at higher resolution. Here is my home state of Georgia in USA and areas I have converted I did the whole large area first the have been filling in as I go the level 11 areas of my more particular interest. works like a charm

God Bless

• I see. You make several different grids using the Grid tool and process them with different resolutions in FSET. This makes sense, I'll try it.

But you have to select the small squares one by one, I think.

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• I see. You make several different grids using the Grid tool and process them with different resolutions in FSET. This makes sense, I'll try it.

But you have to select the small squares one by one, I think.

Not sure if this is the solution you are looking for, but if you use the Excel file I posted in this thread, you can add additional tiles in any direction to your base tile, click the blue button once to copy, and then paste directly into FSET with the P button. I think using both of these tools together can be useful for certain workflows.

• Thanks for replying qwerty42, I was a bit hesitant with the Excel sheet, usually I prefer graphical tools, but your proposal sounds good.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• Thanks for replying qwerty42, I was a bit hesitant with the Excel sheet, usually I prefer graphical tools, but your proposal sounds good.

Kind regards, Michael

Me too :) But this one is simple. All you have to do is put in the latitude/longitude for any point inside your 'base tile', then enter how many additional tiles you want in each direction, then click the blue button. Go to FSET, click P. Done.

Kind regards, Michael

Oops! I just compared the output of the Excel tool to vogel69's Google Earth tool and found a bug in mine. If you entered the "Ref Point" coordinate from the Google Earth grid, that's exactly at the intersection point of the grid, and it broke the logic in the math of the Excel tool.

It's fixed now, so if you're using the Excel tool please download v1.3 at this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vc8lg4isu9fl…_v1.3.xlsm?dl=1 I updated my original post with the new link too.

• Thanks, just downloaded the corrected version.

Kind regards, Michael

• Thanks, just downloaded the corrected version.

Kind regards, Michael

You're welcome! Hope you find it useful. If you don't mind another download, I just added another feature to it -- a button that also lets you paste coordinates from FSET. Now you can easily go back and forth between both tools, and if you're lazy like me you don't have to type any coordinates at all. https://www.dropbox.com/s/utwth7lr9iv5…_v1.4.xlsm?dl=1

An example of how you might use it with the new button:

In FSET, draw a rectangle with the 'Draw' button around the area you're interested in. It doesn't have to be precise, just make sure the center of the rectangle is over the area you want. Then press the "C" button in FSET.

Go back to the Excel tool, and click the new orange button. This will automatically paste in the center coordinates of the rectangle you just drew in FSET.

Tell it how many more tiles you want in each direction, and what GeoConvert level you want the tiles to be sized for. Lastly click the big blue button, go back to FSET, and press "P".

• Thanks - that's certainly an improvement. You guys are great. I'll defnitively try this.

Kind regards, Michael

• Thanks - that's certainly an improvement. You guys are great. I'll defnitively try this.

Kind regards, Michael

Ugh, I'm so sorry, looks like after I saved and moved the file, the way I tried to brute-force Excel into doing the pasting thing stopped working... fixing it now, will edit this when I find a different workaround and update it. All of the other stuff should work fine though. This is what I get for using Excel for this :D

• Ugh, I'm so sorry, looks like after I saved and moved the file, the way I tried to brute-force Excel into doing the pasting thing stopped working... fixing it now, will edit this when I find a different workaround and update it. All of the other stuff should work fine though. This is what I get for using Excel for this :D

Ok, fixed now. Sorry about that. There is apparently a bug in recent versions of Excel with how it handles the clipboard, where sometimes it doesn't want to release the clipboard when other programs try to copy to it ?( I changed the vba macro and as long as you're not just repeatedly copying and pasting back and forth between Excel and FSET without actually changing anything, it works correctly. New download link here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3stsqayr9970…v1.45.xlsm?dl=1

• Well this is embarrassing. Gooseno1 found one last bug with the paste functionality from FSET in the Excel tool. Very sorry for all the repeat downloads, but I have done a lot of tests on it and I'm 99% sure it's bugfree now. If you're using the excel tool please replace your version with v1.5 from this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2otbbe7jmoe…_v1.5.xlsm?dl=1

I also made a video tutorial on how to use the Excel tool for anyone needing help or unsure how it works. You can find it in the original post here: Image tile coordinates

Edited 2 times, last by qwerty42 (March 9, 2018 at 5:07 AM).

• I am sorry to be nasty, but I get an Input Invalid with 1.5 of the Excel tool as well. I just followed the video, made a rough map around Germany in FSET, copied and pasted into the Excel sheet, choose level 10 copied using the orange button and pasted into FSET.

Any logfile or the like I can send?

• Hello Michael,

Here is a screenshot and a kml file I generated with vogel69 gridtool

If you convert this at level 9 and 11 in geoconvert then go fill in the areas of higher res from the level 11 tiles which is a good area of coverage at a time. It will work well with the excel tool but having the visual helps a lot. also remember each level of resolution splits the square by 4 (ie. alevel 11 tile is made up of 4-12s, a 12 tile is 4-13s) so you need to keep the bounds consistent to avoid gaps. This is easy to see in the gridtool. I edit each level in GE in different color and can then view my coverage.

• Thanks for the kind help.

Perhaps I didn' state my problem quite clearly. Having created the grid as in your picture, accoding to the video, the next step would be to save the upper left square as Area.kml, move this upon the FSET window and let FSET do its work. Plus give the field a proper color in GE. I tried this and it's all okay. The comes the second square to the right from the first one, and so on.

However, having to do this (i.e. saving/overwriting Area.kml, shifting, starting FSET, choosing color) has to be done (roughly) 13 x 18 = 234 times which is tedious given I want to do the whole area at once anyway, at least at the highest level. Thus I was looking for a way to process all the squares at once.

Higher resolution selected areas may be a different thing, as I only would select a few (smaller) squares indeed.

Kind regards, Michael

• That's right Michael except I downloaded a very large area first in FSET in my case nearly the whole state of Georgia and part of Alabama. what you see in my picture (that is in the red squares) is the level 11 area the underlying level 9 is not showing which is one kml grid at the 9 level area of the gridtool and geoconverted once the at both 9 and 11. If you can download the whole region gridtooled to level 9 then you can focus on the smaller as you mentioned but you have the base area already in good shape for high altitude flight converted at levels 9 and 11.

Kerry

• Michael I checked my map_ttc files my grid is 56 level 9 tiles and that is my base from which I started. I don't remember what I set the download resolution to in FSET but once it downloaded the geoconvert processed the images to the 56 level 9 tiles and 896 level 11 tiles at one go. After I have my large base I then grab an 11 level tile save as area kml file and drag onto FSET select either FSET download resolution at 0 or-1 and convert levels 12, 13, 14, and 15 at one time. I then get from one level 11 tile 340 additional ttc files for complete coverage from level 9 - 15.

Edited 2 times, last by kgent77 (March 10, 2018 at 7:12 PM).

• I am sorry to be nasty, but I get an Input Invalid with 1.5 of the Excel tool as well. I just followed the video, made a rough map around Germany in FSET, copied and pasted into the Excel sheet, choose level 10 copied using the orange button and pasted into FSET.

Any logfile or the like I can send?

Hi Michael, is it the Excel tool saying input invalid, or is it FSET? Can you send me a screenshot of both of them so I can see what the inputs are?

• It's FSET saying invalid. Fortunately, I could reproduce it. Screenshot is attached.

Kind regards, Michael