As we wait for the next update, can we revisit the "water" issue?

• Jan was going to ask about a small test area for water (this was in mid December, 2017), I am wondering if that happened.

. . . . background

There is a hellva lot more water on this earth than land and it is just flat out unnatural to use photos of all the lakes, rivers, oceans and other bodies of water in a flight sim.

Having a wet surface for seaplanes and ships should be near the top of any list of things to be added to Aerofly FS 2 IMHO.

If it is acceptable to have 3 relatively small areas, in relation to the total available space on the planet, for flying in the sim, then why not add a lake or river or two with water so we can get a taste of the wet stuff? They could call it the Water DLC. 8o

Regards,

Ray

As I have said a thousand times, this would be a breeze with OSM2FS2. OSM has all the information to depict the water region accurately, without any need to do it manually.

Frui

I'll ask if we can get a small pool of water for testing. Maybe a large square in front of the coast, somewhere we usually don't fly.

I'm pretty sure he can't just add floats. We could fake them but that's not what Aerofly is all about. We usually do things right if we are able to. Jet-Pack

We'll have to work for a water surface simulation and actual float simulation which will then automatically give us the results that we want. I'll ask if we can get a small pool of water for testing. Maybe a large square in front of the coast, somewhere we usually don't fly.

:)

Jan,

Did you ask if we could have a "pool of water for testing"? If so, what was the reaction at the IPACS office?

Regards.

Ray

• What brought the water subject to the surface today was a series of mind-blowing screenshots of an about to be released free seaplane harbor in the PNW by Orbx for the other sims. Oh my.

Regards,

Ray

• I actually totally forgot to ask I think, this was close to Christmas where I was shopping presents, etc. Sorry for that. I guess the answer will be no, not now, but I'll ask anyways.

Thanks,

Ray

• I have a couple of samples of water that we were experimenting with that I could upload for you guys to play with. I have made progress with reflections, shine/glow, and bump mapping which looks pretty nice. This testing also took advantage of the actual water image on the orthos with a layer that was transparent so that you can 'tint' the top while keeping the natural water look.

I'll also talk to Torsten and Marc about this method.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• I have a couple of samples of water that we were experimenting with that I could upload for you guys to play with. I have made progress with reflections, shine/glow, and bump mapping which looks pretty nice. This testing also took advantage of the actual water image on the orthos with a layer that was transparent so that you can 'tint' the top while keeping the natural water look.

That would be great, Jeff. Please make this available for testing.

Regards,

Ray

• That is awesome to hear water is being worked on. I would like to give it a test and see the work in progress. Half of my flying in P3D is with floatplanes so I love some good water.

When PNW gets released we'll need some water and floatplanes. :)

- Ashley

P3D v4 / AFS2 / XP11 | Intel i7-4790K oc'ed @ 4.6GHz | 16GB RAM | 8GB Nvidia GTX1070 | Windows 10 64-bit | Oculus Rift

:)

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5